ADVERTISEMENT

UNLV QB Matt Sluka Quits Team After Three Games Due To Broken Promises (just when you thought you heard it all in college football!)

Players are simply controlling their red shirts and eligibility--I'm not sure why people think that's in some way wrong
Now, with Sluka--there's a lot to work through on this one to determine what actually happened

For all the posts saying he was stupid for not getting the promise in writing, to do so would have been considered pay-to-play. Everyone is in a tough spot due to the stupidity and stubbornness of the NCAA. I have to believe that both sides of the transaction would like to have the agreement in writing, but they can’t do that before an athlete enrolls otherwise it’s pay-to-play. So the athlete is left hoping that people fulfill their promise, and the NIL contributors are hoping they don’t pay a kid a boatload of money only to have him later say “thanks for the cash, but I think I want to transfer again”. Isn’t that what Quinn Evers did to OSU?

It’s all so ridiculous. The toothpaste is out of the tube so no turning back. They just need to make college a semi-pro league and have real contracts in place.
Real contracts won't alter NIL money though--that will be on top of the real contracts

For all the posts saying he was stupid for not getting the promise in writing, to do so would have been considered pay-to-play. Everyone is in a tough spot due to the stupidity and stubbornness of the NCAA. I have to believe that both sides of the transaction would like to have the agreement in writing, but they can’t do that before an athlete enrolls otherwise it’s pay-to-play. So the athlete is left hoping that people fulfill their promise, and the NIL contributors are hoping they don’t pay a kid a boatload of money only to have him later say “thanks for the cash, but I think I want to transfer again”. Isn’t that what Quinn Evers did to OSU?

It’s all so ridiculous. The toothpaste is out of the tube so no turning back. They just need to make college a semi-pro league and have real contracts in place.
you make a good point. It is possible the coach was speaking for NIL donors but they didn't come through. The coach has no leverage. But the kid didn't get what he was expecting so I understand his side, as well. Really, this is a total mess. I think NIL "collectives" are better managed by the schools but outside of that, if the money isn't forthcoming, there is nothing the school can do to make it happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT