ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Transfer Portal

A MBA makes little sense for Terrell at this point of his academic career. Any top school won't accept him without work experience.

I heard he's giving a strong look at his home state program....

I realize I came across as crass, but from a traditional sense though, the whole idea of MBA is combining your previous work experience with it. At least the top schools. I realize we've gotten into extensive debates on here when Griffith was talking about doing a MBA (he ended up not)

But maybe Terrell just wants a general business degree and that works as well. I obviously wish Terrell the best no matter and will root for him wherever.

That's just what he told me.... I did also hear BYU--but they don't have D1 wrestling anymore, so why portal?
He's going to grad school somewhere in the fall. Last we heard, he was accepted into PSU, ASU, and BYU. (Maybe other schools since?)

If he wants to keep his options open for wrestling, then he needs to enter the portal by the end of this week.

The worst thing he could do would be to pick another grad program, but be ineligible to wrestle because he didn't enter the portal.

If he chooses BYU, at least he kept his options open.

I realize I came across as crass, but from a traditional sense though, the whole idea of MBA is combining your previous work experience with it. At least the top schools. I realize we've gotten into extensive debates on here when Griffith was talking about doing a MBA (he ended up not)

But maybe Terrell just wants a general business degree and that works as well. I obviously wish Terrell the best no matter and will root for him wherever.
In my experience, I very much agree that an MBA is more useful and educational if you are already or have been in a work environment where the concepts being taught can be seen in action every day.

A MBA makes little sense for Terrell at this point of his academic career. Any top school won't accept him without work experience.

I heard he's giving a strong look at his home state program....
Would be huge for them!! Appreciate all
Terrell’s contribution, takes special kind of person to play the role he did. I always feel for the AA caliber guys that have one more year to make it happen, or the NCAA champ level guys in the same spot. Look forward to watching him get his shot

How much you think he will get? What is realistic?

At Olympic trials there was talk about how much schools are offers Marcus Blaze. Some of the numbers I heard didn’t sound like it could be possibly but who knows.

The portal seems to be eliminating any of the purity of college wrestling. Small time programs have to be frustrated. Almost no chance to hold onto a stud.
I think after this year, I will be done following college wrestling. And I have been a life long fan. I wonder if others feel the same way. I have to think that with viewership dropping, I am not alone.

Never underestimate the capacity of old dudes to open up their wallets for minimal returns in order to feel they are part of the team

steve martin 80s GIF by FilmStruck
@bnicolls designating $ collected from evicting single moms and using it for Project Level the Playing Field aka Project Save TnT

Last edited:
Reactions: danoftw
The portal seems to be eliminating any of the purity of college wrestling. Small time programs have to be frustrated. Almost no chance to hold onto a stud.
I think after this year, I will be done following college wrestling. And I have been a life long fan. I wonder if others feel the same way. I have to think that with viewership dropping, I am not alone.
the portal and the money being thrown around has ruined CFB. It's hard to follow who will be on the team. I don't care about players getting some cash, but it definitely disrupted the entire ecosystem in a negative way.

Good Lord, the scales have tipped in favor of the athletes at least a little bit and everybody from Nick Saban on down is having a "the sky is falling" moment.

By all means let's go back to the days where someone like Jeremy Bloom is told he either has to return all the millions he earned in ski endorsement revenue if he wants to be the punt returner for the University of Colorado, or quit the football team.

We can suspend the Dunne girl from LSU's gymnastics team or return her millions of dollars generated from her social media footprint.

Freaking people seem to be extremely generous in forcing young people to give back their money.

If young folks using their athletic skills to earn small or large bags of cash is so freaking irritating, then go ahead and leave the room. I think, good for them.

It's true, the portal is like free agency in sports. While you can fill in with a free agent here and there, it is no way to build and sustain a program. That has to be done with draft picks or, in our case, freshman recruits. While they may still get some NIL money these days, it more akin to rookie draft pick money as opposed to MeKenna, Real Woods, or Michigan grad transfer money.

Good Lord, the scales have tipped in favor of the athletes at least a little bit and everybody from Nick Saban on down is having a "the sky is falling" moment.

By all means let's go back to the days where someone like Jeremy Bloom is told he either has to return all the millions he earned in ski endorsement revenue if he wants to be the punt returner for the University of Colorado, or quit the football team.

We can suspend the Dunne girl from LSU's gymnastics team or return her millions of dollars generated from her social media footprint.

Freaking people seem to be extremely generous in forcing young people to give back their money.

If young folks using their athletic skills to earn small or large bags of cash is so freaking irritating, then go ahead and leave the room. I think, good for them.
Trouble is this is college athletics and the selling point is school ties and pride. With a transfer portal is more free agency than pro sports. These kids aren't students anymore like I was getting a scholarship, they're pros. And I really don't watch much of pro sports anymore.

I'll add that it doesn't seem to be too bad in wrestling compared to say football. And I'm going to guess that changes will come due to issues with football and basketball.

And neither will affect PSU. Sanderson built his machine prior to this and I am sure PSU can compete with anyone.

I feel like this has Iowa written all over it.
For the most I’m ok with kids maximizing their potential and transferring where they want but I hate this one. Alirez is a CO and Greeley native and he had great success there. It’s not like he wasn’t meeting his potential or didn’t have coaches that could get the most out of him. He was a national champion for his hometown program. This is going to hurt UNC no doubt

Reactions: Ski
For the most I’m ok with kids maximizing their potential and transferring where they want but I hate this one. Alirez is a CO and Greeley native and he had great success there. It’s not like he wasn’t meeting his potential or didn’t have coaches that could get the most out of him. He was a national champion for his hometown program. This is going to hurt UNC no doubt
I actually don't hate this one too much. He is a grad transfer. He went to the school, competed for 4 years (including an undefeated national championship season), and graduated. He's actually fulfilled the commitment he made to the school in full. Then he took a legitimate ORS year to train exclusively for the Olympic trials, and now he is coming back for a final year to compete and get a masters degree because he has a 5th year of eligibility due to the pandemic. I don't have a big problem with that.

Trouble is this is college athletics and the selling point is school ties and pride. With a transfer portal is more free agency than pro sports. These kids aren't students anymore like I was getting a scholarship, they're pros. And I really don't watch much of pro sports anymore.
The problem with "the selling point is school ties and pride" is there is still a gazillion dollars floating around college sports that many adults (including but not limited to coaches, sports administrators, sports organizations like NCAA, Big10, SEC) are taking their fair share while sharing a case of beer with revenue generating student-athletes.
Like I said, it is easy to insist someone else give up their money.

Saban is pissed because he can't weird iron clad control over the athletes who have earned for Nick several hundred million dollars. Just my opinion, but gee whiz Nick be gracious and thankful not bitter and whiney.

Not sure why an adult whose only negative life impact is one of my favorite athletes is not going to be on my favorite team anymore would give a hoot.

As far as the sky is falling, can we wait until a couple traditionally strong programs show catastrophic losses from the loss of an athlete or two before we bytch about the damage done from a chunk of falling sky.

I actually don't hate this one too much. He is a grad transfer. He went to the school, competed for 4 years (including an undefeated national championship season), and graduated. He's actually fulfilled the commitment he made to the school in full. Then he took a legitimate ORS year to train exclusively for the Olympic trials, and now he is coming back for a final year to compete and get a masters degree because he has a 5th year of eligibility due to the pandemic. I don't have a big problem with that.
Exactly. He gave UNCO 4 years on the mat.

Reactions: dicemen99
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT