ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Sr World Team Trials, Sept 14-15

wrestlingfan22

Mar 17, 2022
With the Olympics ending the next major competition is the World Championships for the Non-Olympic weights. What are people's thoughts on who team USA will send for men's freestyle?
I am guessing:
61kg: Vito
70kg: Lee?, Yianni?, Alirez?, Mendez?, McKenna?, Larkin???, Sasso???
79kg: JB, Nolf or Chance
92kg: Zahid or Kollin Moore, maybe Trumble if he makes 92
Going to be interesting to see what guys like Lee and Nolf do. They are next in line at their current weight, do they stay that size and bide their time or do they try to go up a weight class for the chance at a title this year.

61 - Vito if he's healthy is clearly the guy, expect to see Fix/ADS at trials. Maybe Blaze, Forrest throws hat in ring?
70 - Think we see a lot of 65s go up and I think James Green is there (did he unretire) Plus Pantaleo. Is Nick Lee still competing? He would be a very small 70 though.
79 - Yes, agree on those 3 plus Ringer possibly
92 - Zahid or Trumble, Moore retired

Reactions: AtownPoke
61: Vito. Hopefully Lilledahl goes.

70: Pantaleo or McKenna. I'd be shocked to see Sasso compete. Can Levi still make 70 for a weekend?

79: Nolf. Would Carter try to make 79? Would Levi or Mesenbrink take a shot here?

92: Zahid, Hidlay, Jackson, or Macchiavello. Wide open. Zahid if you stick a gun to my head. Hopefully Mirasola takes a shot.

In general: guys absolutely should go at whatever weight is available to them right now. If they win a world medal, then they get placed into the semis or finals of next year's trials.

If an Olympian wanted to participate, could they? Such as Dake moving up to 79 or AB to 92. I get them wanting/needing a break. But is there any rule prohibiting them participating.

With the new Nolf news what do we think? JB, Chance, Ringer at 79kg? 74kg starting a new era next year?

With the new Nolf news what do we think? JB, Chance, Ringer at 79kg? 74kg starting a new era next year?
Is Mesenbrink a contender at 74kg as soon as next year? I beat up pretty much everyone except the very top of the food chain. He wasn’t super close with JB but he seems to be improving at a very high rate. I wouldn’t put it past him but I’m not sure if he’s quite ready. Needs a few more years

Reactions: wrestlingfan22
Is Mesenbrink a contender at 74kg as soon as next year? I beat up pretty much everyone except the very top of the food chain. He wasn’t super close with JB but he seems to be improving at a very high rate. I wouldn’t put it past him but I’m not sure if he’s quite ready. Needs a few more years
A contender? Yes. The favorite? O'Toole and Carr will be there too. Plus Levi presumably, and whomever else.

Mesenbrink needs to clean up his neutral defense before he can be considered a favorite. He allowed shots far too easily against both Carr and Burroughs, and it cost him both matches.

Not many guys domestically can exploit that, so he'll still be a contender regardless.

Also, IMO we can't extrapolate his Trials bracket to predict how he'll do against the top guys. He did tech Monday. Otherwise he beat Lockett and Jacques.

Last edited:
A contender? Yes. The favorite? O'Toole and Carr will be there too. Plus Levi presumably, and whomever else.

Mesenbrink needs to clean up his neutral defense before he can be considered a favorite. He allowed shots far too easily against both Carr and Burroughs, and it cost him both matches.

Not many guys domestically can exploit that, so he'll still be a contender regardless.

Also, IMO we can't extrapolate his Trials bracket to predict how he'll do against the top guys. He did tech Monday. Otherwise he beat Lockett and Jacques.
All true. Monday is a really good win though. He gave a Nolf a 1 point match (7-6 at the Farrell) and only lost to Gadzhiev 5-4 at the Zagreb. I’m interested to see how mesenbrink’s style translates to senior level freestyle. Obviously worked great at the U20 level. Will definitely have to clean up his defense and not walk into shots because he’s being too aggressive. Nolf had to make similar adjustments to become successful at the senior level but Mesenbrink does seem to be a bit further ahead in free at the same point in their careers

Guys I'd like to see enter:

Nolf
Marsteller
Ringer
Starocci
O'Toole
Carr
i would guess starocci is too big for 79kg if he truly plans on going 197 this year. Nolf might be switching to BJJ full time. Carr I think would be too small for 79kg but would be good to see. Levi, Facundo and Messenbrink could all make noise here. Monday is another guy that I think would be too small but could throw his name in. Should be a very entertaining weight.

Interesting. I just saw he fought on a PFL card about a week ago. Didn’t see if he won or not though. He will probably be in shape coming off a fight camp but I doubt he has spent too much time just wrestling
He won.

Not surprised he's giving it another run. No inside info, just as an outside observer he seems like he's not completely done competing in the sport, even if he does other things for most of the year.

When the word first came out about a new Cowboy RTC athlete, before RBY or PSU were mentioned, Oliver came to mind. He wouldn't really be a full-time wrestling trainee, but he would've been an instant boost to that club.

USA Wrestling just posted the World team procedures. Vito and Zahid get a pass to best of 3 finals.

Do we think Bassett throws his hat in the ring? He is probably too small for 70kg and 61 would be a tough pull. But if he can be physically competitive at either weight he could make some noise.

Do we think Bassett throws his hat in the ring? He is probably too small for 70kg and 61 would be a tough pull. But if he can be physically competitive at either weight he could make some noise.
Duke vs Bsssett at 70kg would fun. I think both kids definitely win some matches but won’t breakthrough against the top guys. I would love to see it though

Duke vs Bsssett at 70kg would fun. I think both kids definitely win some matches but won’t breakthrough against the top guys. I would love to see it though
I just don't know how big Bo is. He obviously isn't a small 65kg guy but he hasn't looked huge to me recently. But he also seems to move up a weight class every time he breathes

Reactions: Sullivan and zzs006
That'd be awesome, IMO. DT is a joy to watch compete. And it will distract him from recruiting too! Win-win. ;)

Reactions: diggerpup
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT