ADVERTISEMENT

2024 Sr World Team Trials, Sept 14-15

Pre-seeds are out. Duke is the highest seeded high schooler coming in at #4 at 70kg behind Pantaleo, Green, and JO.
At 61kg Blaze is #5 and Jax #6. They are behind Nashon, Fix, Desanto and Gross. Vito is sitting out until the finals.
At 79kg Marstellar gets the 1 followed by JB, Ringer, Keegan, and Carr.
Hidlay is the 1 at 92 and then Aiello, Mike Macc, Schultz, Sinclair, and then the incomparable Pat Downey. Zahid is waiting in the finals.

79kg has the most top end talent. I could see any of those top 5 guys placing at worlds.
70 kg is the deepest weight. Not as good up top as 79kg but the top 19 seeds are legit guys. Jackson Arrington is the #19, Ryan Jack #18, Cardenas #14, Paniro #8, Andonian #7, and Evan Henderson #6 just to name a few. It seems like the top 3 are their own tier and then everyone else is in the next tier.

I’m really excited to see how Duke does against this field. I think he will have trouble against the top 3 guys but will still be competitive. It just seems like JO will be a bit too skilled, Green too savvy, and Pantaleo too athletic and physical. Duke is more physical and stronger than most everyone he wrestles but he’s going to be on the opposite side of that against Pantaleo. Those guys better not look past PJ though because he will definitely bring it and not back down.

Pre-seeds are out. Duke is the highest seeded high schooler coming in at #4 at 70kg behind Pantaleo, Green, and JO.
At 61kg Blaze is #5 and Jax #6. They are behind Nashon, Fix, Desanto and Gross. Vito is sitting out until the finals.
Hidlay is the 1 at 92 and then Aiello, Mike Macc, Schultz, Sinclair, and then the incomparable Pat Downey. Zahid is waiting in the finals.

79kg has the most top end talent. I could see any of those top 5 guys placing at worlds.
70 kg is the deepest weight. Not as good up top as 79kg but the top 19 seeds are legit guys. Jackson Arrington is the #19, Ryan Jack #18, Cardenas #14, Paniro #8, Andonian #7, and Evan Henderson #6 just to name a few. It seems like the top 3 are their own tier and then everyone else is in the next tier.

I’m really excited to see how Duke does against this field. I think he will have trouble against the top 3 guys but will still be competitive. It just seems like JO will be a bit too skilled, Green too savvy, and Pantaleo too athletic and physical. Duke is more physical and stronger than most everyone he wrestles but he’s going to be on the opposite side of that against Pantaleo. Those guys better not look past PJ though because he will definitely bring it and not back down.
If DT really does register would he be an unseeded entrant?

Pretty sure he would get seeded but would have to wrestle the tournament to get to Zahid. These are just pre-seeds so if he entered I assume he would get the 1 and everyone else move down 1. I’m really not sure but this is only thing that makes sense to me
How did Zahid get on the throne? Did I miss it?

just to add to how stacked 70KG is, Jacques looked amazing up at 74kg for WTT, Yahya looked good up at 74kg and is very solid at free, Lewans mind-numbing style could actually work well in Free if he is able to get to counter scores effectively, Parker has beat very good guys at 65kg before and Larkin nearly beat Yianni at WTT and 70kg is more his ideal weight. I am hyped for this one

just to add to how stacked 70KG is, Jacques looked amazing up at 74kg for WTT, Yahya looked good up at 74kg and is very solid at free, Lewans mind-numbing style could actually work well in Free if he is able to get to counter scores effectively, Parker has beat very good guys at 65kg before and Larkin nearly beat Yianni at WTT and 70kg is more his ideal weight. I am hyped for this one
I typically do not have any more issues with free than I do with folk, both could be improved. In my opinion most improvements both styles could use deal with forcing wrestlers to wrestle. With that said, Lewan is quite an interesting example. In folk, his well earned reputation of refusing to engage allowed even the most stall reluctant official(s) to feel comfortable hitting him at least twice so points were awarded. If in a freestyle match involving Lewan officials balance out the passivity calls as is typical that would be a helluva an example free passivity needs a rework.

It's funny how people can interpret him wrestling at WTT 79 as two different things

1. Definitely redshirting
2. Definitely not redshirting
personally I would take him going as more of a sign he is redshirting, since no other PSU projected starters are registered at any of the weights. But could also mean nothing and he just wants to compete

Somebody’s wrong
giphy.gif

Yeah, to me it points more to a RS than not.
Why would Levi take a RS? To let Facundo get a year of starting in?

We have a lot of guys doing mental gymnastics to make sure we can fit all these guys in. I don't think that is a factor at all in anyone at PSUs thinking. As Cael has stated, these things work themselves out.

Levi's probably around 15 lbs heavier than Facundo right now based on his registration and Facundo's cert, but we're still going down the Facundo 174 route?

Maybe you're right but this line of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. But maybe it does to Levi and Cael. Guess we will see.

I have my money on Levi going. 2nd semester maybe to preserve all options in case of something going wonky elsewhere in the lineup, but going sans injury.

We have a lot of guys doing mental gymnastics to make sure we can fit all these guys in. I don't think that is a factor at all in anyone at PSUs thinking. As Cael has stated, these things work themselves out.

Levi's probably around 15 lbs heavier than Facundo right now based on his registration and Facundo's cert, but we're still going down the Facundo 174 route?

Maybe you're right but this line of thinking doesn't make any sense to me. But maybe it does to Levi and Cael. Guess we will see.

I have my money on Levi going. 2nd semester maybe to preserve all options in case of something going wonky elsewhere in the lineup, but going sans injury.
I don't think this is his thinking, but for arguments sake: Levi RS this year then going 174 next year not only would allow him to fully bulk up, (if he hasn't already, we will see at trials) it would also really clear the weight out. 174 is really weak in terms of depth, but KOT and Hamiti both only have one year left and they would both be potentially big challenges for Haines. Once they are both gone, I think it would be Haines next question for the next two years at NCAAs. Once again I don't think Levi Haines is ducking anyone ever, but it is a possible positive to him RS.

Agreed. Shirting Levi now specifically to get Facundo in the lineup makes no sense. It merely kicks the can down the road a year. And it's not how Cael operates.

If Cael thinks Levi needs more time to adjust to his new weight, different story. But we have no evidence of this. And lots of guys have gone up 2 weights successfully. Without inside info, no reason to think Levi would need more than the fall to adapt.

This might come off as harsh but I'm in the camp that for Facundo to be the post season starter, he has to really earn it beyond winning a wrestle off. I wasn't shocked he beat Levi in a freestyle match, Facundo is fantastic defensively and would absolutely take advantage of room familiarity in a straight match. Not to mention Facundo is a way better freestyle wrestler (and none of the "his takedowns counts in folk" because everything changes neutrally when people wrestle freestyle rules) If Levi is a full sized 174, his track record at NCAAs speaks for itself.

It sucks because a 1 year sample size for postseason struggles for Facundo isn't really a sample size at all but I think Cael will want to see signs that Facundo can comfortably beat guys he would see 1st and 2nd round at NCAAs (no more of the 1-1 in 3rd) and then show an ability to beat Top 5 guys. How will that be evaluated? TBD

I'd like to add Levi wrestling WTT makes all the sense right now since I think under any circumstance, he will be in redshirt until January since that option is there. I also think the Fall can be a good time for Levi to keep adding good weight (if needed) No need to burn it immediately and basically IMMEDIATELY cut Facundo out.

This might come off as harsh but I'm in the camp that for Facundo to be the post season starter, he has to really earn it beyond winning a wrestle off. I wasn't shocked he beat Levi in a freestyle match, Facundo is fantastic defensively and would absolutely take advantage of room familiarity in a straight match. Not to mention Facundo is a way better freestyle wrestler (and none of the "his takedowns counts in folk" because everything changes neutrally when people wrestle freestyle rules) If Levi is a full sized 174, his track record at NCAAs speaks for itself.

It sucks because a 1 year sample size for postseason struggles for Facundo isn't really a sample size at all but I think Cael will want to see signs that Facundo can comfortably beat guys he would see 1st and 2nd round at NCAAs (no more of the 1-1 in 3rd) and then show an ability to beat Top 5 guys. How will that be evaluated? TBD

I'd like to add Levi wrestling WTT makes all the sense right now since I think under any circumstance, he will be in redshirt until January since that option is there. I also think the Fall can be a good time for Levi to keep adding good weight (if needed) No need to burn it immediately and basically IMMEDIATELY cut Facundo out.
I would hope from a entertainment perspective that they enter the same opens which can act as both a wrestle-off and a test on how they do against other NCAA wrestlers. Unfortunately PSU probably doesn't have any major in season tournaments on their schedule so it could be tough to get Facundo good competition outside of duals which are always risky during Duck Season

Reactions: Ski and zzs006
For the record, I'm not advocating for Levi to take a redshirt. I am just saying I have a hunch, based on the various rumors I've read and heard, that he is. And going by our team's track record for collegiate involvement in late-season freestyle tournaments (on the whole there are exceptions), it seems more likely to me that if one is entered in one, it may be because he's not focusing on getting folkstyle ready.

I'm not personally interested in speculating why or why not, but I don't mind anyone else's speculation.

I don't think this is his thinking, but for arguments sake: Levi RS this year then going 174 next year not only would allow him to fully bulk up, (if he hasn't already, we will see at trials) it would also really clear the weight out. 174 is really weak in terms of depth, but KOT and Hamiti both only have one year left and they would both be potentially big challenges for Haines. Once they are both gone, I think it would be Haines next question for the next two years at NCAAs. Once again I don't think Levi Haines is ducking anyone ever, but it is a possible positive to him RS.
Levi will chew Hamiti up and spit him out. KOT is a different story but we still have not verified he will be at 174 this year.

There are a ton of extremely talented people (including Casey and Dake) in that room that are in the 165, 174 and 184 range. They already know from watching workouts whether Facundo is a 2-2 guy or a finalist guy. That doesn't mean there isn't going to be some mixing and matching in dual match ups.

Reactions: Ski
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT