ADVERTISEMENT

43 years ago today Roberto Clemente died in an effort to help others.

fairgambit

Aug 20, 2010
If you had the honor of seeing him play, you will remember it for as long as you live. He was a great player and a better man. Rest in Peace Roberto.

clemente19a-7-web.jpg

MTIwNjA4NjMzNzcyOTM0NjY4.jpg

I'm not one who cries easily, but I did weep upon hearing the news. I was fortunate to be in the stands when he got his 3,000th hit and, even though I have seen World Series and All Star games, it was my biggest thrill as a baseball fan.
Baseball has never been the same for me. He was my childhood hero. That day was a rough one. The Steelers lost the AFC Championship game earlier that December 31st to the Dolphins in 70 degree weather in Pittsburgh, 21-17. I was wearing my Franco's Italian Army t-shirt on December 31st!

I'm not one who cries easily, but I did weep upon hearing the news. I was fortunate to be in the stands when he got his 3,000th hit and, even though I have seen World Series and All Star games, it was my biggest thrill as a baseball fan.

Hearing the news of Roberto's death marked the one and only time I ever saw my stoic, stiff upper-lipped mother cry, other than at the funerals of her parents.

Reactions: fairgambit
Baseball has never been the same for me. He was my childhood hero. That day was a rough one. The Steelers lost the AFC Championship game earlier that December 31st to the Dolphins in 70 degree weather in Pittsburgh, 21-17. I was wearing my Franco's Italian Army t-shirt on December 31st!
When you watched him play and then realized what a great man he was, it was hard not to love the guy. With my family holding season tickets from 58' until the mid 70's, I saw a lot of great players in person, but I never saw a better one than Roberto.

Obli, a gif and a picture are worth ten thousand words. Excellently done. Have a great 2016; I myself am looking forward to a better year.

Thanks Jim...back at you brother (or sister).

I knew you'd get it....GREAT baseball player, GREAT humanitarian. In my mind, in the top ten best baseball players of all time and the best baseball/humanitarian of all time.

IMO Greatest baseball player ever.... The guy did so much so well, plus he was just a great human being. The players today could learn so much from him.

IMO Greatest baseball player ever.... The guy did so much so well, plus he was just a great human being. The players today could learn so much from him.
He was a proud man, but not a vain one. He carried himself with dignity and always remembered he was representing the people of Puerto Rico.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
If memory serves me correctly, his first few years in Pittsburgh weren't great in terms of fan reaction to him. But it all turned out well, probably Pittsburgh's biggest sports icon, with him and Mario being 1 and 2.

I still gets chills watching his interview with the Gunner after the 71 World Series.

If memory serves me correctly, his first few years in Pittsburgh weren't great in terms of fan reaction to him. But it all turned out well, probably Pittsburgh's biggest sports icon, with him and Mario being 1 and 2.

I still gets chills watching his interview with the Gunner after the 71 World Series.
I think the early fan reaction was primarily because of the language issues. As you likely know, some Pittsburgh sports writers were less than kind in their stories about Roberto, quoting him directly ("I heet de ball good") which made him appear stupid. In fact, he was a very intelligent man, but it took people time to accept him as he was.

Coming from Philly, I was a Phillies fan, but remember the shock hearing about the plane crash. I was in New Orleans excited about our bowl game against Oklahoma at the time. It still seems like just last year.

Coming from Philly, I was a Phillies fan, but remember the shock hearing about the plane crash. I was in New Orleans excited about our bowl game against Oklahoma at the time. It still seems like just last year.
It is amazing that 43 years have passed.

If you had the honor of seeing him play, you will remember it for as long as you live. He was a great player and a better man. Rest in Peace Roberto.

clemente19a-7-web.jpg

I still remember hearing the news. A friend asked me why I was so upset, just because my favorite baseball player had died. "He's just a baseball player," he said. Even at the age of 17, still trying to sort things out, I knew better than that.

I saw him play in the '71 WS, and you're right: it's something I'll never forget. RIP indeed.

If only more people today could be more like him the world would be a MUCH better place.
People are often made more heroic in death than they were in life. From everything I've read about Roberto through the years, and I've read a lot, he was deserving of all the accolades he received after his passing. Still, I think his accomplishments are undervalued. Had he played in New York, or Boston, or LA, he would be a much larger legend than he is now.

Reactions: john4psu
I still remember hearing the news. A friend asked me why I was so upset, just because my favorite baseball player had died. "He's just a baseball player," he said. Even at the age of 17, still trying to sort things out, I knew better than that.
I saw him play in the '71 WS, and you're right: it's something I'll never forget. RIP indeed.
The 71' World Series was his triumph. It was a chance to showcase his talents on a national stage and he dominated, hitting .414, playing flawlessly in the field, and winning the Series MVP award. He was 37 years old.

I was a kid in HS in eastern PA. I got up early in the morning and was in the living room, probably messing around with a book or something from Christmas. My Dad always listened to KYW all night. I remember him, stunned, coming out of the bedroom. First time I had ever seen him looking that stunned. He said to me: "Roberto is lost," and went on to explain the news as it was known at that point. It was disturbing news.

I remember what disturbed me more, though, was that some kids in school (Phillies fans) laughed at me over this tragedy the first day back at school.

Shaped my view of Philadelphia sports fans for the rest of my life. (Even if it should not have.)

Sorry if that offends, but it is what it is. I do know that there are some Philly sports fans that always had great respect for him....or will say now that they did. At the time, you will have to understand, it was over the top offensive.

I was eight and I remember two things: I remember crying and I kept thinking that they were going to find him floating in a raft.
I still get a feeling of disbelief about the whole event.
I had already graduated from Penn State but I had a somewhat similar feeling. I thought maybe with his being such a superb athlete, they would find him clinging to a bit of wreckage, or having reached safety on some island.

Joe Morgan spoke at Captain Willie's funeral. A great read telling about a lovable man full of life.

I miss the excitement that Willie brought to the plate with every at bat. No player has ever given me such a thrill. The windmill......the swagger......and the way he committed to knocking the cover off the ball with every swing. Hit a ball completely out of Dodger stadium, and he didn't need roids and a trainer to do it. Not to mention he did it a class the opposition embraced.

clemente19a-7-web.jpg

I went out and walked to the post office but realized it was closed for the holiday. I came home to my sister crying and the Stylistics song Stoned In Love With You playing on the radio.

I later read that Roberto turned down a commercial where he had to re-enact getting thrown out at second base. He refused to play the gave that way even if only for make believe...the definition of integrity.

clemente19a-7-web.jpg

You could not have stated this any better. His loss is felt 43 years later. My uncle had a home across the street from Roberto and Vera. There was no better man that played sport. He gave and gave and gave of himself to the welfare of young people. My greatest thrill in my youth was getting to talk with him behind home plate at Forbes field after a game where I got to ask him questions about his batting stance. I will never forget his kindness nor when he shook my hand. The ticket to the game was my birthday present. That Christmas my brother and I received PR league baseballs signed by Roberto. His signature is so unique and elegant. I met Vera too...also a very kind and noble person.
I am not ashamed to tell you all, that I still come to tears each year on this day. So, to my brother. That first signed baseball has been in my nightstand along with my grandfathers harmonica for for over 50 years. I will die having known several athletes deserving of being role models to young people..but none more so than 'The Great One!' May he rest in love and peace as well as he lived.

You could not have stated this any better. His loss is felt 43 years later. My uncle had a home across the street from Roberto and Vera. There was no better man that played sport. He gave and gave and gave of himself to the welfare of young people. My greatest thrill in my youth was getting to talk with him behind home plate at Forbes field after a game where I got to ask him questions about his batting stance. I will never forget his kindness nor when he shook my hand. The ticket to the game was my birthday present. That Christmas my brother and I received PR league baseballs signed by Roberto. His signature is so unique and elegant. I met Vera too...also a very kind and noble person.
I am not ashamed to tell you all, that I still come to tears each year on this day. So, to my brother. That first signed baseball has been in my nightstand along with my grandfathers harmonica for for over 50 years. I will die having known several athletes deserving of being role models to young people..but none more so than 'The Great One!' May he rest in love and peace as well as he lived.
That is a terrific post. Thank you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT