ADVERTISEMENT

'79 Sugar Bowl

Early 3rd quarter our DB McCoy dropped a pick around our 40 that hit him right between the numbers (literally). If he catches it he probably gets 20 yards or more. Could have been a big momentum swing.

So many what ifs in that game. Probably the most stinging loss in PSU football history given what was at stake and how we lost.
Wasn't that Pete Harris?

First off, let's correct your recollection. I've attached a video link of the plays leading up to the goal line stand and the goal line stand itself.

1st down from the 8, a 2-yard gain by Mike Guman.
2nd down from the 6, Fusina hits Fitzkee and is tackled at the 1 by Don McNeal. Fitzkee ran the route one yard short.
3rd down from the 1 - Suhey over the top and I believe the football reached the plane of the goal line (see photos).
4th down from the 1 - Guman stopped by Barry Krauss.
So there was only two plays from the one-yard line not four.

YRZsuVa.jpg
MWZjaxR.jpg
Very tough to tell on the 3rd down run. It's funny but that was a perfect time for a qb sneak.

Totally shut him down. The Garrity TD catch is the #1 play in PSU football history. The Giftopoulos pick probably tied with it or right behind.

Garrity should never, ever have to buy his own beer in PA. Same with Blackledge and Warner.
And Shane Conlan. He would have offset that 1978 Alabama defense.

Wasn't that Pete Harris?
No, I watched the replay. It was McCoy. Ball was thrown behind the receiver right into McCoy's hands. He could have gained some good yardage returning the pick. I bet he could have set us up inside the Bama 40.

I would like to see an angle from the goal line. Typical that Bama and the Bear are going to get that judgment call over JoePa.
Apparently, and unfortunately, there was no tv camera on that side of the field and the pylon cam hadn't been invented yet for that better viewing angle of the third down play.

Apparently, and unfortunately, there was no tv camera on that side of the field and the pylon cam hadn't been invented yet for that better viewing angle of the third down play.
Yeah, maybe things would have been slightly different if technology corrected calls in that game and #1 was forced to play #2 in 1994. You think?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT