ADVERTISEMENT

A 3 man rush will get you beat Auburn.

It’s now past 1 am here in the East and that play could still be active with the “rush” Auburn dialed up on defense. The Alabama QB could still be standing there waiting for one of his five guys to find some open space in the end zone. Just hanging around out there in the middle of the field without a care in the world thanks to the Auburn coaching staff.
It was a defensive decision designed to fail, and it failed spectacularly. Prevent defense preventing another victory.
The Alabama center who fired off the wild snap had to be smiling all the way back to Tuscaloosa because nobody now knows his name.

Reactions: hoflane and bdgan
When you have good WR's such as OSU, give the QB "39 seconds" and he will eventually find one open. ND found out about that vs OSU. Huge mistake rushing 3 or 2 with a spy when there are 5 star WR's running around eventually getting open.

UM was right in the face of McCord yesterday rushing 5. Result nice pick by UM, game over.

Reactions: hoflane
Rushing 3 is a coaching error. It is a failed strategy. Every coach should know it. Rush 5 and pressure the throw. Coach needs to take complete responsibility for the defensive coverage call.

I could tell before the game was over since I was cheering that UM was rushing 5 against OSU and McCord, and it worked to perfection. I was thinking before they play, "please don't make same mistake as ND by rushing 3." Cost the domers the game!

UM front 5 was right in the face of McCord which caused the pick, "Game Over."

It really made no sense - they needed 31 yards so out pressure in the guy - they did it twice and it faed twice - stupid

Hugh Freeze never was part of that decision. He was so positive Auburn would win that he was busy on his cellphone calling 1-900-free-sex for a post game date.

Reactions: Safety Blitz
I remember when we played Miami for th NC we dropped 8 and rushed 3 but constant pressure and sacked Testaverde a few times and he had 5 Interceptions. I agree in todays game rushing 3 is a poor decision

Reactions: Wesauking Lion
That was about as crazy last 2 minutes as you will find. This rivalry seems to have crazy endings.

Reactions: psu00
I remember when we played Miami for th NC we dropped 8 and rushed 3 but constant pressure and sacked Testaverde a few times and he had 5 Interceptions. I agree in todays game rushing 3 is a poor decision
They didn’t rush 3. They rushed 2. The third guy hovered around the LOS spying the QB for contain. Weird because he would have to make it 31 yards with no defenders stretched away from the goal line.

Reactions: m.knox
Look the Eagles did the same thing against K.C. and the Chiefs almost converted a 4th and 25.
You have to rush 4 or 5 and give a quarterback no time.

I watched that play. The 3 need to rush the passer too. They were playing peek a boo and patty cake. It was effectively 8 vs. 11. Watch.

They didn’t rush 3. They rushed 2. The third guy hovered around the LOS spying the QB for contain. Weird because he would have to make it 31 yards with no defenders stretched away from the goal line.
If you are going to rush 2, just rush nobody and drop all 11 back into coverage. That makes more sense.

Would have been better off putting in 11 DBs and have them all run back to cover an end zone sector.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT