ADVERTISEMENT

A few notes heading into the weekend

Ryan Snyder/BWI Staff

Aug 11, 2010
Just passing on a few things I've been working on this week

- Rivals250 OL Aamil Wagner is working on an official visit date with Penn State. The latest I heard was June 25-27 for Wagner, which of course is the same weekend most of the committed players are coming. It's not set in stone yet, but that's the weekend that's best for him. When it's set, I'll pass it on. He's considered a heavy Ohio State lean, but certainly someone Trautwein is high on.

- CB Julian Humphrey is starting to suggest to the media that he's leaning towards Penn State. He hasn't come out and directly said it, but he's hinting to myself and colleagues down south that PSU is his favorite currently. Texas A&M appears to have cooled on Humphrey, which could really benefit Penn State here. He put up some very impressive track times earlier this week. I'll link those videos below.

- The more I dig on CB Keenan Nelson Jr., the more it sounds like Notre Dame isn't going to be the player I originally thought they'd be. Or at least, they're not currently. Our colleagues have told us that their staff is interested in Nelson, but that he hasn't been great on the phone. All signs point to Penn State right now, although South Carolina has his interest, too.

- CB Jaeden Gould has some health concerns that have caused a few schools to take a closer look in recent weeks. I think Penn State likes him a lot, and I do believe they're the favorite now with Gould, but don't be surprised if PSU slows things down a bit as well. I'm not writing him off, but it feels like PSU and others want to see how he progresses in the weeks to come.

- I'll stress that the following is all speculation, but there's a lot of talk currently that the NCAA isn't going to change the July dead period. Personally, I feel like they should shorten it a bit. I don't think we need a four-week dead period this year, but coaches will want to take vacation. Currently, it's scheduled to run from June 28 to July 24. I think knocking one week off the dead period, and opening up July 17-24, would be a good way to squeeze more visits/evaluations in before preseason, but the talk right now is that we're going to see a normal dead period in July.

- PSU is still working on its camp schedules, so it's still too early too pass on any dates or anything like that, but from what I have gathered, they plan to organize their summer schedule similar to year's past. For example, I would still expect to see the Lasch Bash in July, and the Whiteout Camp at some point in June. I'm very curious to see if PSU holds a 7-on-7 tournament this year. No word on specifics yet, but the overall gameplan right now is business as usual.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News