ADVERTISEMENT

15-year anniversary of Cael's hiring

I think it's posted somewhere but the general reaction from Iowa and Iowa State fans at the move is the best
The old Black Heart Gold Pants has a funny archive thread from a 2010 dual but a lot of threads are gone. But, yeah, they were great. It couldn’t have come at a better time to elicit bravado and denial as Iowa was then hitting false heights due to the double recruiting class - thinking it was all Brands’ brilliance and not the propping up of a dying empire.

Ironically it happens leading up to the greatest wrestling tournament in the world at the BJC… to be dominated by his wrestlers! How sweet it is following the obliteration of the college tournament.

Not only program changing for PSU.......but it has changed College wrestling history! With more to come!

I remember when I first heard the announcement. I knew it would be huge for PSU, but I had no idea it would be this impactful. Just amazing, and I feel so grateful for what us fans have been able to experience. And it's not just the wins, champions, and championships, it's how he and the asst coaches have accomplished it. We Are...blessed!

I think it's now like an American iconic moment. Where were you when Penn State hired Cael Sanderson? Did we expect an eventual national championship? Did anyone in the world expect 11 National championships in 13 full wrestling seasons?

Which poster said about Cael, and I am paraphrasing here, but I think it's "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh". Hell at the Time I know I would have settled for beating Lehigh, and an occasional top 5 finish. I remember rooting so damn hard for Vallimont, and that kid from Milesburg Wright, and thinking how great it was that we had a runner up and a 6th placer.

Which poster said about Cael, and I am paraphrasing here, but I think it's "I didn't come here to beat Lehigh". Hell at the Time I know I would have settled for beating Lehigh, and an occasional top 5 finish. I remember rooting so damn hard for Vallimont, and that kid from Milesburg Wright, and thinking how great it was that we had a runner up and a 6th placer.
It's what Cael himself said when asked by some alum about the in-state "rivalry."

Thank goodness we found a coach with real goals. Not some fraud like Bo Schembechler dismissing every Rose Bowl loss because he beat Woody Hayes.

The old Black Heart Gold Pants has a funny archive thread from a 2010 dual but a lot of threads are gone. But, yeah, they were great. It couldn’t have come at a better time to elicit bravado and denial as Iowa was then hitting false heights due to the double recruiting class - thinking it was all Brands’ brilliance and not the propping up of a dying empire.
Speaking of Black Heart Gold Pants, if for some strange reason I start to feel the tiniest bit bad for the fate of Iowa wrestling, I think back to this article from the 2010 PSU-Iowa dual meet, which is dripping with loathing and arrogance.

spinner GIF by Tobias Rothe

Think about the statue they build of Cael outside of Rec vs. the one they have of Gable outside of Carver 🤔

Speaking of Black Heart Gold Pants, if for some strange reason I start to feel the tiniest bit bad for the fate of Iowa wrestling, I think back to this article from the 2010 PSU-Iowa dual meet, which is dripping with loathing and arrogance.

And the author of that article hasn’t changed his email address, so it’s nice so drop him a line and say hi occasionally. Maybe someone can ask him how he’ll be celebrating Cael’s 15 year anniversary.

But think about that for a minute, the way they were chanting "Caels no Gable", and the pure hate, but an underlying feeling of fear. It's almost as if they knew, and feared what would be coming. Why all the hate for a team they were totally dominating up to that point? They had already won two in a row on their way to three. It would be like us, in a home meet against NC State, chanting hate chants against their coach and roaring in ecstacy for an extra win, say Nagao over Orine. I'm telling you, they knew, they just KNEW.

Yup - and they stripped the comments from it, but I’ve read it with the comments. A lot of those tools commenting back then migrated over to HR/GIA where it took more than a decade for most to accept reality.

But think about that for a minute, the way they were chanting "Caels no Gable", and the pure hate, but an underlying feeling of fear. It's almost as if they knew, and feared what would be coming. Why all the hate for a team they were totally dominating up to that point? They had already won two in a row on their way to three. It would be like us, in a home meet against NC State, chanting hate chants against their coach and roaring in ecstacy for an extra win, say Nagao over Orine. I'm telling you, they knew, they just KNEW.
And Cael won’t show it outwardly, but you know he loves pounding that team in front of Gable at Carver.

I'll never forget rolling into FS practice, bringing it up to my good friend and training partner... He was being a contrarian dickhead (per usual), and thought I was crazy because I guaranteed him a national title in the first 5 years of Cael's tenure.

Now, he's a 2x D3 AA, US Open AA, finishing his doctor degree, married to a wonderful gal, 6'4, chiseled jaw line, jacked... BUT I AM RIGHT, and that's worth all of that and more 😂

This is exactly the kind of starry-eyed statement that drives Cael’s critics mad, but it’s the truth: That day not only made historic waves in the college and international wrestling worlds—it resulted in me becoming a better person. How rare is it that a sports team “does the right things” so well, and with such consistent success, it inspires its fans to be better people? #grateful

What is really almost prophetic about this article is the score. 29-6, the score Penn State beat Iowa this year at Carver. Sweet!!!

I remember someone noting at some event that Cael and Gable were both signing autographs at tables set up. The "old" fans were lined up at Dan's and the young were at Caels. Noticeable change of guard. Felt bad for Gable...

I remember someone noting at some event that Cael and Gable were both signing autographs at tables set up. The "old" fans were lined up at Dan's and the young were at Caels. Noticeable change of guard. Felt bad for Gable...
Dan Gable himself, is a good man who has endured tragedy and has true value as a person. The issue is, was, and always will be, the classless and arrogant fans of the Iowa program, and their two little trolls that coach it.

I'll never forget rolling into FS practice, bringing it up to my good friend and training partner... He was being a contrarian dickhead (per usual), and thought I was crazy because I guaranteed him a national title in the first 5 years of Cael's tenure.

Now, he's a 2x D3 AA, US Open AA, finishing his doctor degree, married to a wonderful gal, 6'4, chiseled jaw line, jacked... BUT I AM RIGHT, and that's worth all of that and more 😂

giphy.gif

15 years ago this coming Tuesday, the first reports started coming out of Iowa State of a ugly rumor circulating. The rest is history. I always enjoy going back on quiet days and reading what people say and think before the fact. I honestly feel bad for the Cyclone fans. We wear our fandom on our sleeves and it's hard when things take a turn for the worse. That said, it was and still is a great day to be a Lion. We are ...

As I heard one guy say before the last Olympic Trials, "In order for me to fulfill my dream, I have to crush his." I do feel for the Cyclone fans, but I feel WAY better for us. Actually, it was two Olympic cycles ago.

Reactions: danoftw
Post 32 was prescient:

"After crazy brands loses his hokie wrestlers, they'll fall back to the middle of the wrestling world."

This was a post in 2009. Maybe not quite the middle, but Iowa did fall back.

Some quality posts in that Cyclone thread.

"The State of Penn. has an extremely fertile recruiting base (hs that is). Can't recall the exact numbers but I believe more than half of the wrestlers in the National finals were from Penn.

Not making a prediction about Cael leaving ISU for PSU but their wrestling program is a sleeping giant. Similar to what is brewing at Ohio State...Ohio is another state that produces a lot of quality hs wrestlers and OSU's current coach is beginning to shore up the boundaries. If someone with such a strong name and rep like CS were to head their program and secure the Penn. boundaries for recruits, they could turn PSU into a dominant program."

Post 32 was prescient:

"After crazy brands loses his hokie wrestlers, they'll fall back to the middle of the wrestling world."

This was a post in 2009. Maybe not quite the middle, but Iowa did fall back.
Yeah, the double recruiting class helped Brands reach the top of the ladder and without it he has been more like a regular 3rd placer. However, more than Iowa falling back I think it was much more Cael taking Penn State and by leaps and bounds simply surpassing anything the Brands could muster.

15 years ago this coming Tuesday, the first reports started coming out of Iowa State of a ugly rumor circulating. The rest is history. I always enjoy going back on quiet days and reading what people say and think before the fact. I honestly feel bad for the Cyclone fans. We wear our fandom on our sleeves and it's hard when things take a turn for the worse. That said, it was and still is a great day to be a Lion. We are ...

Good read lol

Good read lol
It's always interesting to read what people were thinking in the moment without many facts. You see people get through the five stages of grief sooner than others. After having read the NCAA finals thread on there from 2024 (!!!), some are still at the anger stage. That's a long time to hold a grudge against someone you'll never know, and knowing the outcome proved them right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT