ADVERTISEMENT

Abbreviations for OSU and tOSU

FatWoodchuck

Oct 5, 2023
There's too many OSU's and tOSU's, we as out siders need to give them a good name that every body knows, it is well past time.

OHSU

OKSU

maybe, 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: PSUbluTX and PACOLT
There's too many OSU's and tOSU's, we as out siders need to give them a good name that every body knows, it is well past time.

OHSU

OKSU

maybe, 🤷‍♂️ 🤷‍♂️
There is only one tOSU (aka anOSU).

If additional clarity is needed, I sometimes use "Okie St" for the program now run by a certain Olympic gold medalist and PSU alum.

There is only one tOSU (aka anOSU).

If additional clarity is needed, I sometimes use "Okie St" for the program now run by a certain Olympic gold medalist and PSU alum.
I've seen tOSU used for both, it all depends on who you are talking to.

And for some reason they hate being called okie or okay state, now I'm not sure which one being that he wasn't able to provide a good enough reason for me to remember.

I dont really care that offends them but I'd rather not if avoidable.

Hmm, I’ve never seen anyone refer to OkSt as tOSU. It’s a fine designation for Ohio St, except it indulges in their dumb conceit of “THE Ohio State University”. As if that’s a point of pride, lol. Then there’s Oregon State to further confuse.

I've seen tOSU used for both, it all depends on who you are talking to.

And for some reason they hate being called okie or okay state, now I'm not sure which one being that he wasn't able to provide a good enough reason for me to remember.

I dont really care that offends them but I'd rather not if avoidable.
okily-dokily-okie-dokie.gif

• Haha
Reactions: FatWoodchuck
The term "Okie" has had a variety of meanings and has been used in different ways by Oklahomans, and the term's meaning is not universally agreed upon:
  • Insult
    The term "Okie" is often considered derogatory and offensive. It was originally used to describe migrant workers from Oklahoma and other states who moved west during the Great Depression. The term was often used in a disparaging way, such as by California authorities in the 1930s to group and pay migrant workers.
  • Badge of honor
    In the 1960s, Oklahoma Governor Dewey F. Bartlett launched a campaign to make "Okie" a positive term for Oklahomans. Some Oklahomans, including those who made good in California, are proud of the term and consider it a symbol of the Okie survivor attitude. The term's popularity increased again after the 1995 bombing of the Alfred P. Murrah Federal Building.
  • Source of pride
    Some people consider the term to be a badge of courage. Clubs and contests used "Okie" in their names in the 1950s and 1960s.
  • Webster's dictionary
    In the 21st century, Webster's dictionary amended its definition of "Okie" to state that it primarily refers to a native or resident of Oklahoma.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT