ADVERTISEMENT

Abdul Carter missed an INT for TD

Waltwam

Jul 28, 2001
Erie, PA
Carter dropping that INT was huge. We really could’ve used that to help our huge momentum switch. What do you all think ?

I also noticed on the fake reverse TD by USC Carter gave a pretty lax effort amd simply jogged himself right out of the play.

I wasn’t happy with some of the effort in the first half. It reminded me of the Bowling Green first half honestly.

Happy he ramped it up in the 2nd half and OT. Once we pressured and hit the QB in the 2nd half it really started to mess up SC’s timing.

Carter dropping that INT was huge. We really could’ve used that to help our huge momentum switch. What do you all think ?

I also noticed on the fake reverse TD by USC Carter gave a pretty lax effort amd simply jogged himself right out of the play.

I wasn’t happy with some of the effort in the first half. It reminded me of the Bowling Green first half honestly.

Happy he ramped it up in the 2nd half and OT. Once we pressured and hit the QB in the 2nd half it really started to mess up SC’s timing.
Pretty nitpicky regarding Carter, he is not a wide receiver. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Waltwam
The sequence of events there went terribly wrong:

1. Carter drops a sure fire pick 6 just after we tied the game at 20.
2. Allar throws his 2nd pick, setting USC up at our 24.

In the moment, it felt pivotal. You knew someone would look back and say "that probably cost us the game." We ended up overcoming this adversity.

In the 1st halves he has generally been on the DL and tried to use speed or bull rush from the outside. No real counter moves from that spot or stunts with the DT or blitzes as a LB. It seems though in the 2nd half they move him around a bit more and he is able to make more plays. Need to watch tape to verify but just my thoughts so far.

Yes he gets held or chipped or doubled quite a bit and maybe should get some holding calls but it aint happening and probably wont so maybe move him around some more earlier in the game.

In the moment, it felt pivotal. You knew someone would look back and say "that probably cost us the game." We ended up overcoming this adversity.
Allar's pick on that out route was a bad decision and a bad throw. Like most college QB's, he had good plays and bad plays all day. I loved that he played with emotion and made some really good plays when he needed to. Kudos to him and I hope we now see a more confident QB who trusts his ability and his receivers.

Remember the out pattern to Clifford (I think) where Drew had him but threw it behind him and nearly got picked. One of several plays that would have done the Nits in. Clifford made a great play to reach back and get a hand on the ball otherwise it is an int.

Carter didn’t jog himself out of the play .. he ran step for step with a fast RB until he ran out of gas after 20-30 yards, and realized he started 5+ yards behind him and wasn’t gaining ground. He busted ass, he didn’t loaf at all.

Carter didn’t jog himself out of the play .. he ran step for step with a fast RB until he ran out of gas after 20-30 yards, and realized he started 5+ yards behind him and wasn’t gaining ground. He busted ass, he didn’t loaf at all.
Good post, accurate.

Spot on!

The issue isn’t so much how hard he’s working it, the problem with him at times this season is his form isn’t what it should be, hips facing the wrong direction so he’s not ready to handle a change of direction by the ball carrier. Carter wasn’t the only one, we had a number of defensive linemen and linebackers doing that yesterday, which is why you saw them overrunning plays in the backfield or get easily sidestepped on misdirection plays. Disciplined players keep their hips facing the ball at all times and break down around the ball to make a sure tackle.

When guys are out of position it’s going to look like they’re “working harder” because they have to then sprint to keep up with the play that ran past them, or try to make a Herculean effort to flip their body around to reposition. Jason Cabinda had commentary with Hackenberg after the game about that—he said he was screaming at the tv about it, but ultimately they pulled off a gutsy win.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
If you watch the hustle from sideline to sideline it was a bit lax. Watch the replay.

Same on a couple other plays although it was only for 10 SC gains and someone else made shoestring tackles. And don’t get me wrong, I love #11 but was a little disappointed today, at least on the first half.

#13 was much worse. But #11 is the leader ~ maybe why I was more surprised.

Extremely happy that we won! Go Lions

Calling that a tough catch for Carter is...a choice.
I expect him to catch that most of the time. Great drop in coverage though. He'll get the next one.

Reactions: lilromeo
Calling that a tough catch for Carter is...a choice.
I expect him to catch that most of the time. Great drop in coverage though. He'll get the next one.
They aren’t accustomed to making those catches. Having said that, both of USCs INTs were great catches. Not counting the hail Mary

They aren’t accustomed to making those catches. Having said that, both of USCs INTs were great catches. Not counting the hail Mary
Carter would tell you he should have caught that. He's played enough coverage in his life that he's not uncustomed to it.
Again it worked out fine and no one is perfect so not a big deal

Remember the out pattern to Clifford (I think) where Drew had him but threw it behind him and nearly got picked. One of several plays that would have done the Nits in. Clifford made a great play to reach back and get a hand on the ball otherwise it is an int.

I think Drew fired it off his back foot as well as Ramsey closing in quick. The throw definitely needed out in front of Cliff. He fixed that on the bullet to Evans later in the game. That's one of those throws that will get you drafted. He made a lot of them yesterday. Not to mention at least 3 drops on the easiest, better open routes we ran yesterday.

Throw in Drew's pocket awareness and scrambling. No sacks. 32 rush yards for at least a 1st down or 2. Great day for him.

Reactions: PSUALREADYKNOW
I think Drew fired it off his back foot as well as Ramsey closing in quick. The throw definitely needed out in front of Cliff. He fixed that on the bullet to Evans later in the game. That's one of those throws that will get you drafted. He made a lot of them yesterday. Not to mention at least 3 drops on the easiest, better open routes we ran yesterday.

Throw in Drew's pocket awareness and scrambling. No sacks. 32 rush yards for at least a 1st down or 2. Great day for him.
Yupp Drew made himself a lot of money yesterday

Reactions: lazydave841
The issue isn’t so much how hard he’s working it, the problem with him at times this season is his form isn’t what it should be, hips facing the wrong direction so he’s not ready to handle a change of direction by the ball carrier. Carter wasn’t the only one, we had a number of defensive linemen and linebackers doing that yesterday, which is why you saw them overrunning plays in the backfield or get easily sidestepped on misdirection plays. Disciplined players keep their hips facing the ball at all times and break down around the ball to make a sure tackle.

When guys are out of position it’s going to look like they’re “working harder” because they have to then sprint to keep up with the play that ran past them, or try to make a Herculean effort to flip their body around to reposition. Jason Cabinda had commentary with Hackenberg after the game about that—he said he was screaming at the tv about it, but ultimately they pulled off a gutsy win.
Yeah it looked like many of the players on D were trying to be heroes yesterday rather than playing disciplined assignment football for much of the game.

That was the most impressive imo - PSU came back from adversity not once, but three times. They showed some grit in the BGSU game. This team doesn't hang their head and give up, nor do they panic, - they keep fighting. You have to like their response to adversity (Tyler Warren has the "it" factor). You know what they say, facing adversity doesn't build character, it reveals character.

Reactions: lazydave841
Yeah it looked like many of the players on D were trying to be heroes yesterday rather than playing disciplined assignment football for much of the game.

Yea, little concerned how undisciplined TA's defense looks compared to MD's defense. Both run very aggressive defensive schemes, but Diaz's defenses looked much better when the opponent attempted to use their aggressiveness against them. Tom Allen's defense has been caught "nobody home" on counters (such as the reverse) and delays (such as screens and draws or short bubble passes).... etc... Not sure what's up with that, but you can't have the entire Front 7 bite this hard on these counters and delays - it leaves half the field undefended.

Reactions: Waltwam
I will say, they were absolutely mugging Carter all day long - literally tackled him from behind after he got past the tackle on the edge at least 3 different times - no flag. On USC's last TD play (5 yard TD pass to RB), I'm pretty sure it's Carter who the USC LT has ahold of his facemask on the edge pushing it up and all the way back - illegally preventing Carter from getting to Moss - no flag.

I will say, they were absolutely mugging Carter all day long - literally tackled him from behind after he got past the tackle on the edge at least 3 different times - no flag. On USC's last TD play (5 yard TD pass to RB), I'm pretty sure it's Carter who the USC LT has ahold of his facemask on the edge pushing it up and all the way back - illegally preventing Carter from getting to Moss - no flag.

Actually, just watching replay on Football In 60 on BTN - it is DDS who the USC LT commits clear "Hands To The Face" upon (not just Hands To The Face, but outright facemasking as he grabs DDS's facemask off the snap and proceeds to push DDS's head all the way back as he attempts to go around corner) - it is as plain as day penalty, no flag.

Last edited:
Reactions: bison13
One other thing regarding the Back 7 on defense - staff needs to talk to them about wrapping up after first contact - time and again, PSU LBs and DBs would bounce off after first contact and the USC runner would continue for big yardage because the PSU defender didn't wrap up and grab on. In fact, on the play before the INT on USC's last possession in Regular-Time, the USC receiver came within millimeters of keeping his feet after the PSU DB attempted to tackle him with just contact (USC receiver spun to the inside of the field away from the contact) - the USC receiver stays on his feet there, he probably picks up another 10 or 15 yards, maybe more.... and we could have easily lost in regulation due to a poor tackle there - fortunately the USC receiver lost his balance because he spun so hard/sharp.... it could have been a really costly missed tackle.

The players did.

Carter needs to work on that part of his game because with his God given gifts, he is in a position to make that play usually once per game.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT