ADVERTISEMENT

Adam Breneman chimes in

with some good points. he believes Moorehead is a good fit for Allar

Bill O’Brien would be a better fit! Belichick may be leaving NE, so Bill may be available.

Looking back is always dangerous and complicated. Maybe Moorhead would be interested, but his offense is not new anymore, and I don’t see Allar benefitting. Just kidding on Bill, I think…

Maybe this one isn't popular but what about Dan Mullen? He's originally from PA though that doesn't really matter as much as it used to.
  • Proven track record developing QBs at Utah, Florida (under Meyer), and Miss State.
  • His HC tenure at Florida wasn't as successful as Miss State but his offense put up numbers; it was his defense that let him down.
  • One of his knocks was he didnt like to recruit or didnt put as much time into it as he should being a HC. As OC here, yes, he'd have to do recruiting but it's different when you are the HC.
  • Like Diaz, he can learn from his prior successful and unsuccessful experiences as a coordinator here.

His points are valid, but for those who are romanticizing the Moorhead era please keep in mind:

1) His team averaged 36 PPG. Current team averages 35 PPG
2) He had Saquon Barkley (no offense to our current RBs who I love but they are not Saquon)
3) In 2016, they only scored 10 points against Michigan and 14 points against OSU (other TD coming on special teams).

I'm not sure he's the answer.

I like the point about giving confidence. It would be nice to have another coach say, "Those xuckers can play". Besides confidence, swagger also means playing tough and down right nasty.
I was telling this to my brother. The offense lacks confidence and swagger. it lacks team leadership. Last year, we had a 47 year old starting QB who played for 15 seasons. (exaggeration alert) This year, I don't see any leadership.

Bill O’Brien would be a better fit! Belichick may be leaving NE, so Bill may be available.

Looking back is always dangerous and complicated. Maybe Moorhead would be interested, but his offense is not new anymore, and I don’t see Allar benefitting. Just kidding on Bill, I think…
Coach BOB did a great job of instilling confidence and swagger. His OL helped a not so fast or quick Zwinak run for a lot of yards. His kids played mean.

His points are valid, but for those who are romanticizing the Moorhead era please keep in mind:

2) He had Saquon Barkley (no offense to our current RBs who I love but they are not Saquon)
3) In 2016, they only scored 10 points against Michigan and 14 points against OSU (other TD coming on special teams).

I still think the offensive line is better now though. Just imagine what Barkley could have done with a better o-line... Not to mention the defense.

I agree, but the WR now are worse (unfortunately) which tends to make the offense more one dimensional.
so I know everyone is on lambert smith as not being a good receiver. But last year he ended up as number 1 by default and somehow was able to get open and his share of receptions. So what happened?

if nothing else just send omari evans downfield every play. Somebody would have to cover him

Illinois threw for 500+ yards Saturday. Isaiah is probably the only receiver who would get am offer from PSU. IT'S THE COACHING. WR confidence is lower than a snake's belly. The WRs were great in 2016 in a large part because of the confidence in the offense and coaching. We already have the Jimmies and Joe's. They need a leader.

I agree, but the WR now are worse (unfortunately) which tends to make the offense more one dimensional.

This WR room talent wise, is the worst in Penn State Football history. Not a single difference maker.

This is 100% the fault of coach Franklin whose strength is supposedly recruiting.

Reactions: beachouse
so I know everyone is on lambert smith as not being a good receiver. But last year he ended up as number 1 by default and somehow was able to get open and his share of receptions. So what happened?

if nothing else just send omari evans downfield every play. Somebody would have to cover him
KLS is good but he's not dominant enough to be a WR1. Ideally your WR1 commands double teams (or at least dedicated safety help) which frees up WR2 and WR3 to do things.

Or you can have two very good (e.g. KLS and Parker W) WRs which make it impossible to commit the safety to help. This is what we had last year.

Maybe if Tre Wallace isn't hurt we have that second scenario, but unfortunately he's been out for most of the year. Neither Cephas nor McClain has been what we had hoped.

Reactions: CoastGuard2018

He also had the KING of the 50-50 ball in Trace. I remember the days of Trace as just throw it up and someone was going to come down with it.

Reactions: PSU2UNC
KLS is good but he's not dominant enough to be a WR1. Ideally your WR1 commands double teams (or at least dedicated safety help) which frees up WR2 and WR3 to do things.

Or you can have two very good (e.g. KLS and Parker W) WRs which make it impossible to commit the safety to help. This is what we had last year.

Maybe if Tre Wallace isn't hurt we have that second scenario, but unfortunately he's been out for most of the year. Neither Cephas nor McClain has been what we had hoped.
I am full of responding to you this afternoon!!

Do you think Cephus and McClain are products of the scheme or why haven't they made a difference at all? Hell, Cephus barley knows where to line up. I wonder if MY tried to be too smart and ended up confusing his players.

I saw no rub routes for Saunders or Clifford.

The crazy thing was he used his TE's really well and coming in that wasn't a strength of his.

Reactions: Fayette_LION
Outside the box. Kliff Kingsbury?
That cat got LA written all over him. He and his super model gf would be in culture shock. And for those that say he was in Lubbock......that was before he became a rock star.

Illinois threw for 500+ yards Saturday. Isaiah is probably the only receiver who would get am offer from PSU. IT'S THE COACHING. WR confidence is lower than a snake's belly. The WRs were great in 2016 in a large part because of the confidence in the offense and coaching. We already have the Jimmies and Joe's. They need a leader.
I think much of it is coaching. Both tactically and technically.

Maybe this one isn't popular but what about Dan Mullen? He's originally from PA though that doesn't really matter as much as it used to.
  • Proven track record developing QBs at Utah, Florida (under Meyer), and Miss State.
  • His HC tenure at Florida wasn't as successful as Miss State but his offense put up numbers; it was his defense that let him down.
  • One of his knocks was he didnt like to recruit or didnt put as much time into it as he should being a HC. As OC here, yes, he'd have to do recruiting but it's different when you are the HC.
  • Like Diaz, he can learn from his prior successful and unsuccessful experiences as a coordinator here.
This we agree on
My only concern is I don't think Allar fits what he wants to do offensively. He's another guy that likes QB that are going to run regularly. Or at least prefers that.

This we agree on
My only concern is I don't think Allar fits what he wants to do offensively. He's another guy that likes QB that are going to run regularly. Or at least prefers that.
Kyle Trask was barely a runner so I think Mullen can adjust.

Kyle Trask was barely a runner so I think Mullen can adjust.
He made it work with Trask but it wasn't ideal for him. That's what I'm saying. Allar isn't his ideal QB situation.
They also lost a bunch of games with Trask they shouldn't have which, in part, led to him being fired.

That cat got LA written all over him. He and his super model gf would be in culture shock. And for those that say he was in Lubbock......that was before he became a rock star.
Well, the gf is from a small town in Poland so she may like SC. And I know some great Polish recipes so I would be happy to sacrifice some time and help her feel welcome!

Last edited:

If wr2 and wr3 know how to run a route!

with some good points. he believes Moorehead is a good fit for Allar

I like Joe Moorehead a lot . He’s incredibly smart. I’m just not seeing a 245 pound QB being able to run a true ( convincing ) RPO. Those late “pulls” in the backfield will result in many QB sacks…. He’s not ( understandably) close to McSorley’s quickness/agility…or even decision making. —If Moorehead believes he can “hybridize” his RPO to fit Allar , given his past OC success, I’d love to have him. But left unchanged, his previously designed Penn State offense is obviously better suited for Beau. — As I said, if Coach Moorehead believes he can successfully tweak it to take advantage of Allar’s abilities, I hope he gets the shot….but on the surface I’m not optimistic it can happen and believe a different OC will be hired.

Reactions: donboy6499
Moorhead went 2-10 last year at Akron, and this year he is 2-8
Really comes down to being a head coach Vs wanting a ton more money for guys like him.

He took a huge paycut (and is still making more than 99.9% of people) to take the job. He’d take a similar raise coming back.

But we’d be lucky to get him. If he’s looking to be a P5 OC again, he’d have no shortage of suitors.

I like Joe Moorehead a lot . He’s incredibly smart. I’m just not seeing a 245 pound QB being able to run a true ( convincing ) RPO. Those late “pulls” in the backfield will result in many QB sacks…. He’s not ( understandably) close to McSorley’s quickness/agility…or even decision making. —If Moorehead believes he can “hybridize” his RPO to fit Allar , given his past OC success, I’d love to have him. But left unchanged, his previously designed Penn State offense is obviously better suited for Beau. — As I said, if Coach Moorehead believes he can successfully tweak it to take advantage of Allar’s abilities, I hope he gets the shot….but on the surface I’m not optimistic it can happen and believe a different OC will be hired.
I hope it's not Morehead.

I'm not sure

Interesting. Point #3 sounds vaguely familiar. Maybe it’s not the OC, then huh?

Mullen will either get his old job back at Miss St. , or he’ll stay in broadcasting. We should hope MSU takes him back otherwise that could be Manny’s job to lose

2016 was the beginning of Moorhead putting that offense together. Those players were young and didn’t “come alive” in Mooreheads system until after the UM game. Context is always appreciated in posts but seldom used.

Reactions: GreatBasinNit
I guess it depends on how we see an OC. If the new hire brings a system that we're not staffed for then we wait the two or three years while he recruits people to fit his system. On the other hand if an OC is an offensive coach he adjusts his plays - not necessarily his philosophy - to fit the players that he has,

You can go online and buy or steal offensive plays that fit both prebula and allar. The key is then to put them in a position to use their skills in offensive plays that work with those skills. I might be wrong, but I doubt if MY came to PSU with a playbook that included that last two point conversion. He could have just looked up "dumbass two point conversion plays for your 8th grade team" and gotten it from there.

We need someone who understands offensive football and can coach kids how to execute. Remember, he has subordinate position coaches to teach running routes, blocking etc

2016 was the beginning of Moorhead putting that offense together. Those players were young and didn’t “come alive” in Mooreheads system until after the UM game. Context is always appreciated in posts but seldom used.
They came alive after Moorehead moved Gisecki off the line off of scrimmage. Then defenses moved a defender out of the box.
I think this was done after the Minnesota game.

Reactions: hoflane
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT