ADVERTISEMENT

All time Penn State team: Before Cael

Delcolion915

Mar 19, 2022
I narrowed it down to pre modern era, but after the 50s and 60s, for continuity. Feel free to make changes if you want. I disqualified any Cael wrestler who started out pre Cael.

118 Jeremy Hunter
126 John Fritz
134 Cary Kolat
142 John Hughes
150 Troy Sunderland
158 Greg Elinsky
167 Andy Matter
177 Jerry White
190 Phil Davis
Hwt Kerry McCoy

Feel free to make Changes

I narrowed it down to pre modern era, but after the 50s and 60s, for continuity. Feel free to make changes if you want. I disqualified any Cael wrestler who started out pre Cael.

118 Jeremy Hunter
126 John Fritz
134 Cary Kolat
142 John Hughes
150 Troy Sunderland
158 Greg Elinsky
167 Andy Matter
177 Jerry White
190 Phil Davis
Hwt Kerry McCoy

Being friends with Jerry White makes me want to keep Jerry on team, but Dan Mayo was runner-up and Jerry's best was 3rd.

Either one is an excellent choice.

Reactions: Delcolion915
Jim martin at either 118 or 126. More wins, 4x AA, 2x finalist and 1 NC.

Not sure about Kolat. Won his championships at loch haven.
Yes I checked on the pswc site but can't find a better choice for now? Regarding Cary I mean. I think you are right about Martin maybe

118 Jeremy Hunter
126 John Fritz
134 Cary Kolat
142 John Hughes
150 Troy Sunderland
158 Greg Elinsky
167 Andy Matter
177 Jerry White
190 Phil Davis
Hwt Kerry McCoy

Good thread and good list. Glad to see one of the all-timers, Andy Matter, getting his due. When freshman couldn’t wrestle, he won three conference championships. 58-2 with two NCAA titles and a loss as a sophomore at NCAAs that I still don’t understand why he wasn’t eligible for wrestlebacks.

Being friends with Jerry White makes me want to keep Jerry on team, but Dan Mayo was runner-up and Jerry's best was 3rd.

Either one is an excellent choice.
Jerry's brother Pat was maybe the best athlete in the family. Their father was a star running back at Carnegie Tech in the 40s I believe. Pat threw 6 no hitters or something in little league and would have been a star, had it not been for an attack of Terrets syndrome in his teenage years.

Sunny Abe - NC & 4 time AA, 126 lbs, debatable if him over Fritz (NC, 3 time AA in the era of freshman not being allowed to compete)
Scott Lynch -NC, 3 time AA, 134lbs and one hell of a orthopedic surgeon
Martin and Abe both finished top 4 all 4 years, and were 2x finalists. Abe, Chertow, and McCoy were all Olympians.

Glenn Pritzlaff won 174 in the late 1990s.

Jerry's brother Pat was maybe the best athlete in the family. Their father was a star running back at Carnegie Tech in the 40s I believe. Pat threw 6 no hitters or something in little league and would have been a star, had it not been for an attack of Terrets syndrome in his teenage years.
Used to workout with Pat.

When you look at the list and additional nominees, it's a little shocking to see how relatively sparse Penn State's share of national champions was during the same period compared to now. Back then, someone would be on the top of the podium maybe once every 3 - 5 years or so. Nowadays, we get 6 guys in the finals in ONE tournament! It would really be scary what Penn State could do if we hired someone who knew how to coach.

I guess they didn’t have majors and techs back then, but 43 of Matter’s 58 dubs (58-2 overall) were by scores that would be considered bonus wins today.

What year started that a TD after the initial TD was given 2 pts instead of only 1? Even more impressive if he was wrestling before that.

I errored ,DeStafannis and Lynch won in 1984.
I corrected the original. I wish teachers would of let me correct my test.😒
I was there too. Only went to the finals (bought tickets there as I recall). TImes have changed. Tab Thacker won a Natty too I believe - 400 lbs +. That is another good change.

Reactions: Callthestall
Sunny Abe - NC & 4 time AA, 126 lbs, debatable if him over Fritz (NC, 3 time AA in the era of freshman not being allowed to compete)
Scott Lynch -NC, 3 time AA, 134lbs and one hell of a orthopedic surgeon
Fritz did compete as a frosh (just after the era of frosh not being able to compete) and lost in the second round at NCAAs. No full wrestle backs at the time so he was done when his 2nd round opponent lost in the quarter finals.

When you look at the list and additional nominees, it's a little shocking to see how relatively sparse Penn State's share of national champions was during the same period compared to now. Back then, someone would be on the top of the podium maybe once every 3 - 5 years or so. Nowadays, we get 6 guys in the finals in ONE tournament! It would really be scary what Penn State could do if we hired someone who knew how to coach.

Pa was producing the most talent. Problem was the talent was spread out. There were about 10+ pa schools producing national champions. There were 5-6 pa schools with top 10 finishes. There might have been 5 in one year.

Jeremy Hunter was very good, but my pick at 118 would be Jeff Prescott. He was a 3X AA, 2X champion, and has the highest pre-Cael bonus percentage in PSU history at 63.7%. That's still good for 8th at PSU all time.
Prescott bumped up to 126 to wrestle Terry in Iowa City and got teched. Some incredible putz of a hater put that match up on YouTube and billed it as "the greatest match of all time". That's how badly we are in their heads in 2024. Cael is either all the way, or just a few more years away, from destroying everything they are about, and I for one believe that makes it all the sweeter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT