ADVERTISEMENT

Analysis of Penn State’s offense

cpn1sgm

Aug 19, 2007
My biggest concern coming into this season was replacing so many key players with young talented players as well as some older guys who haven’t played a lot of football. Couple that with a lot of new coaches and chemistry was a major concern. In any sport you play, there has to be a strong chemistry between the player, coaches and coaches and players. Right now I’m not seeing it. Here’s how I see the current offense now and moving forward:

OL - Was deamed a strength of the team. I think this group is still talented, but is lacking an identity and I think this has to do with play calling. OLs love to run the football and PSU seems to have abandoned the run lately. I still feel the future is bright here as the entire OL should return and will be a year older, stronger and more experienced. A lot of talent behind them as well.

TE - Pat Freiermuth has been the biggest surprise on the team. He’s 6-5, 260. A great blocker, has good hands and is faster than I thought. He will be a 1st all big ten TE before he is done at PSU. Kuntz should bring some excitement next year and Bowers, Holland and Dalton will provide depth.

WR - I truly feel losing Blacknall and Hamilton and throwing in a new coach has hurt this position. Johnson has struggled, but I still feel the future is bright. Next year I see Dotson replacing Thompkins and Polk. Guy is super smooth with good hands. KJ in the slot and hoping Johnson returns and plays up to his ability. Shorter and George will give us size at the position and Hippenhammer and Sullivan-Brown will provide solid depth. I believe We will see tremendous growth by this unit next season.

RB - Miles has so much talent and it’s been frustrating how he hasn’t touch the ball enough running and receiving. I expect him back, but you never know. Brown, Slade and incoming freshman will provide depth.

QB - Trace has probably been one of my favorite players to watch all time. I believe teams in the Big Ten have learned how to stop him. They have eliminated running and more importantly throwing lanes. This is where Trace’s height becomes a liability. Without throwing lanes, it doesn’t only hinder his ability to see open receivers, but it impacts his accuracy drastically because he struggles to throw over OL and DL. Throw this in with the injury and it’s been a tough year. At 6-5, Tommy won’t struggle with this. Next year will probably be the most depth I’ve ever seen at QB for PSU. Stevens, Clifford, Levis, Johnson and Roberson. Future is bright.

Franklin had many changes to his staff and players for this year’s team. I’ll give him a pass and will be curious if he sticks with his current staff or makes any changes. I don’t have a problem if the current staff stays in place as it takes time to gel and usually year 2 is way better than 1. But if next season the same issues spear it’s ugly head, changes will need to be made on the staff or he’s going to start feeling the eat.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News