ADVERTISEMENT

Another grill thread, this time, specifically.... PELLET SMOKER GRILLS

republion

Mar 24, 2009
Over the years, this board has helped me greatly when purchasing new grills. Based off my last thread, I ended up replacing my old Weber Summit with a brand new Weber Summit and couldn't be happier. It's a great grill. However, I want to add one more appliance to my already recklessly assembled outdoor space... a pellet grill.

I already have the Big Green Egg style grill, along with my Weber gas grill. Now I want a pellet grill. And please, don't ask why. Just like some of you high-end watch collectors, I get excited over grills. I've been looking at the obvious one.... Traeger (the new Ironwood model), as well as Weber, Recteq, and Z Grills. I really only have one "must have option" for the grill and that is an integrated grease catcher. With my Labrador retriever, I can't have the bucket hanging off the side to catch grease as that damn dog would lick the bucket until the chrome poly coating came off it.

So fire away! Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with their pellet grills?

I did see this thread but it's 3 years old and curious if anyone had updates.

Last edited:
Reactions: SH0RTS and 91Joe95
i know Im just a lowly Auburn fan that has infected your board since the trip yall made down here a couple seasons ago. But, grilling and smoking is kind of my thing and one of the things Im known for over on our board.

I grind, stuff and smoke 50-100 lbs of various sausages, cut up my own primal cuts(never, EVER buy individually cut steaks from a butcher) and grill at least once per week. I have a green egg, Lang 48 tow behind indirect reverse air flow stick burner smoker with a charcoal grill on it, a Weber Genesis gas grill, a Blackstone and a pellet smoker I made from a commercial reach in cooler and installed a small pellet smoker called a SmokeMeister, and installed a vent made from s dryer vent from Home Depot. Although, this is a smoker I made just to slow and or cold smoke sausages and pork bellies for bacon.

Adding a pellet smoker and building a huge pit is on my list. Ive looked a a bunch of pellet smokers and IMO the RecTec line is the best. If you just want a small one, the RecTec Bullseye is the way to go. I know several people with RecTecs and some PitMasters use it as well. All give them high praise.

Happy Smoking!!

Last edited:
Just did lollipop chicken legs today on a PitBoss Vertical Series 5. Never had any issues with it after 5 years of ownership. Also own an Oklahoma Joe stick burner, Weber Kettle and a Competition tow behind. I do clean out the ash pot in the Pitboss every two smokes and make sure the pellet dust is vacuumed well from the pellet hopper. The set it and forget it on the pellet smoker has been my go to when I have other things to do. Whatever you purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy smoking great food.

Never apologize for loving to cook outside! I spent the afternoon outside picking up storm damage tree limbs and grill chicken breast, mushrooms and onions. I've got 2 Weber gas grills, a large Weber Kettle and a Weber Lil Joe Silver- always changing things up.

After visiting friends in NC I decided to dabble in pellet smoking. Went cheap w a Pit Boss tabletop from Wal Mart. After a return and gift card it only cost $30 out of pocket. I've had fun learning the basics. Kind of like buying a Camry to learn to drive.

It is compact, easy to store- it does have an exterior grease tray but on a panic table neither of my 2 hounds have messed w it. Step by step. It is a very simple machine to operate with an automatic pellet feeder.

I know it doesn't meet your reqs- but it sure is easy to learn on before making a bigger investment.

Good luck! Enjoy!

It's all a learning experience. I have a Weber charcoal smoker and I'm still learning. Temp is everything. Anybody can season a rack of ribs or whatnot. If you can control the temp you are the Pit Boss.

You'll never ruin food on a smoker. That's why God gave you aluminum foil and an oven.

i know Im just a lowly Auburn fan that has infected your board since the trip yall made down here a couple seasons ago. But, grilling and smoking is kind of my thing and one of the things Im known for over on our board.

I grind, stuff and smoke 50-100 lbs of various sausages, cut up my own primal cuts(never, EVER buy individually cut steaks from a butcher) and grill at least once per week. I have a green egg, Lang 48 tow behind indirect reverse air flow stick burner smoker with a charcoal grill on it, a Weber Genesis gas grill, a Blackstone and a pellet smoker I made from a commercial reach in cooler and installed a small pellet smoker called a SmokeMeister, and installed a vent made from s dryer vent from Home Depot. Although, this is a smoker I made just to slow and or cold smoke sausages and pork bellies for bacon.

Adding a pellet smoker and building a huge pit is on my list. Ive looked a a bunch of pellet smokers and IMO the RecTec line is the best. If you just want a small one, the RecTec Bullseye is the way to go. I know several people with RecTecs and some PitMasters use it as well. All give them high praise.

Happy Smoking!!
I wish I had attended your tailgate when I was at the PSU@Auburn game. Lol. Good info. Thanks.

Reactions: Obliviax and SH0RTS
I wish I had attended your tailgate when I was at the PSU@Auburn game. Lol. Good info. Thanks.
You would have had the meat sweats for the entire game.

SorryGif.gif

You would have had the meat sweats for the entire game.

SorryGif.gif
Man, that was a great time. Took the blackstone and towed the smoker. Made a few dozen various pancakes, hash browns and wrights brand double hickory smoked bacon for breakfast. Smoked pork butts, chicken wings in 3 different sauces, and ribs, had a buddy bring his signature camp stew, and the ladies did the potato salad, baked beans, etc. now, something you have to try, is make a peach cobbler, foil it, cut slits in the foil and put it on the smoker. Smoked peach cobbler is no joke!

I started with a Medium sized offset stick burner and swore that was how BBQ was intended to be, with actual wood. Last year I ventured into the pellet smoker world and I'm very happy that I did! Great results. I went with a Pitt Boss Pro Series that is a pellet smoker and gas grill. I do recommend getting a smoke tube, if you like the smoke flavor in your meat. They work great! The Pitt Boss is well built, and simple to use. You can download a phone app and monitor your smoker remotely. I purchased mine at Lowe's.

Reactions: SH0RTS
I have had a Traeger for several years, and I can highly recommend it. I have had three friends buy a Traeger after having dinner at our place.
I’m leaning towards the new Ironwood. Insulated too, integrated drip pan. I like it.

Just did lollipop chicken legs today on a PitBoss Vertical Series 5. Never had any issues with it after 5 years of ownership. Also own an Oklahoma Joe stick burner, Weber Kettle and a Competition tow behind. I do clean out the ash pot in the Pitboss every two smokes and make sure the pellet dust is vacuumed well from the pellet hopper. The set it and forget it on the pellet smoker has been my go to when I have other things to do. Whatever you purchase, I'm sure you will enjoy smoking great food.
I’m looking for the set it and forget it function of the smoking process. Too many times my Fireboard wakes me up at night telling me my smoker is out of temp range. Judging how much charcoal to use without using too much is always a challenge for me.

Never apologize for loving to cook outside! I spent the afternoon outside picking up storm damage tree limbs and grill chicken breast, mushrooms and onions. I've got 2 Weber gas grills, a large Weber Kettle and a Weber Lil Joe Silver- always changing things up.

After visiting friends in NC I decided to dabble in pellet smoking. Went cheap w a Pit Boss tabletop from Wal Mart. After a return and gift card it only cost $30 out of pocket. I've had fun learning the basics. Kind of like buying a Camry to learn to drive.

It is compact, easy to store- it does have an exterior grease tray but on a panic table neither of my 2 hounds have messed w it. Step by step. It is a very simple machine to operate with an automatic pellet feeder.

I know it doesn't meet your reqs- but it sure is easy to learn on before making a bigger investment.

Good luck! Enjoy!
Nice. I don’t know what you utilize a panic table for, but I’m sure you have your reasons. 😂😆.
(I know you meant picnic).

It's all a learning experience. I have a Weber charcoal smoker and I'm still learning. Temp is everything. Anybody can season a rack of ribs or whatnot. If you can control the temp you are the Pit Boss.

You'll never ruin food on a smoker. That's why God gave you aluminum foil and an oven.
Oh I’ve ruined food on my smoker. If your thermometers are off, your smoke is f’ed! Lol

Man, that was a great time. Took the blackstone and towed the smoker. Made a few dozen various pancakes, hash browns and wrights brand double hickory smoked bacon for breakfast. Smoked pork butts, chicken wings in 3 different sauces, and ribs, had a buddy bring his signature camp stew, and the ladies did the potato salad, baked beans, etc. now, something you have to try, is make a peach cobbler, foil it, cut slits in the foil and put it on the smoker. Smoked peach cobbler is no joke!
Salivating Homer Simpson GIF

• Haha
I started with a Medium sized offset stick burner and swore that was how BBQ was intended to be, with actual wood. Last year I ventured into the pellet smoker world and I'm very happy that I did! Great results. I went with a Pitt Boss Pro Series that is a pellet smoker and gas grill. I do recommend getting a smoke tube, if you like the smoke flavor in your meat. They work great! The Pitt Boss is well built, and simple to use. You can download a phone app and monitor your smoker remotely. I purchased mine at Lowe's.
I’d never heard of smoke tubes before, so I looked them up. Very cool. Thanks.

I hadn’t heard of them until viewing these threads. I’ll check them out. Thanks.
I've had a MAK since 2012ish and it's been great. I often start a cook before I go to sleep and it never let me down...truly set it and forget it. They're also made in the USA which is very important to me, especially when I'm spending thousands of dollars.

Reactions: cment and republion
I’m looking for the set it and forget it function of the smoking process. Too many times my Fireboard wakes me up at night telling me my smoker is out of temp range. Judging how much charcoal to use without using too much is always a challenge for me.

09adb1c6-6cc9-44ac-8503-84e4a2c123df_text.gif

Keep working, Bro. Thats the most fun part. You'll find the right amount. Keep everything else consistent- same charcoal, and it will happen.

Reactions: republion
09adb1c6-6cc9-44ac-8503-84e4a2c123df_text.gif

Keep working, Bro. Thats the most fun part. You'll find the right amount. Keep everything else consistent- same charcoal, and it will happen.
Nothing worse than having to refuel in the middle of a cook.

I’m on my second Yoder 640 and I just love it. The ease of use can’t be beat. My buddy is an absolute purist when it comes to his traditional stick burner (he calls my pellet smoker an Easy Bake Oven 🤣). We went head to head on ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and wings. Couldn’t hardly tell the difference. If his stick produced a 10/10 meat, the Yoder was 9.9. It’s so insignificant that you really won’t notice. And being able to untether yourself from the box is so nice. Allows me time to focus on making side dishes. The app is great, too. Easy to monitor temp on the box and with probes.

No matter which box you choose, you have to use the right pellets - that’s key. Find a brand that doesn’t use filler. I like Lumberjack but have also used a lot of BBQ’ers Delight. While you’re learning, go with the off brands you can find at Costco or Sam’s.

BTW - the turkey I smoked last thanksgiving was by far, the best turkey I ever had. Blew away deep fried. Will never make turkey another way every again!

Over the years, this board has helped me greatly when purchasing new grills. Based off my last thread, I ended up replacing my old Weber Summit with a brand new Weber Summit and couldn't be happier. It's a great grill. However, I want to add one more appliance to my already recklessly assembled outdoor space... a pellet grill.

I already have the Big Green Egg style grill, along with my Weber gas grill. Now I want a pellet grill. And please, don't ask why. Just like some of you high-end watch collectors, I get excited over grills. I've been looking at the obvious one.... Traeger (the new Ironwood model), as well as Weber, Recteq, and Z Grills. I really only have one "must have option" for the grill and that is an integrated grease catcher. With my Labrador retriever, I can't have the bucket hanging off the side to catch grease as that damn dog would lick the bucket until the chrome poly coating came off it.

So fire away! Does anyone have any positive or negative experiences with their pellet grills?

I did see this thread but it's 3 years old and curious if anyone had updates.
I have a Recteq. I think they are great.

I’m on my second Yoder 640 and I just love it. The ease of use can’t be beat. My buddy is an absolute purist when it comes to his traditional stick burner (he calls my pellet smoker an Easy Bake Oven 🤣). We went head to head on ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, and wings. Couldn’t hardly tell the difference. If his stick produced a 10/10 meat, the Yoder was 9.9. It’s so insignificant that you really won’t notice. And being able to untether yourself from the box is so nice. Allows me time to focus on making side dishes. The app is great, too. Easy to monitor temp on the box and with probes.

No matter which box you choose, you have to use the right pellets - that’s key. Find a brand that doesn’t use filler. I like Lumberjack but have also used a lot of BBQ’ers Delight. While you’re learning, go with the off brands you can find at Costco or Sam’s.

BTW - the turkey I smoked last thanksgiving was by far, the best turkey I ever had. Blew away deep fried. Will never make turkey another way every again!
You've got me intrigued on the Yoder. It's a tank. I wish it had a pellet dump though. My question for you is, why are you on your 2nd? What happened to your first one?

You've got me intrigued on the Yoder. It's a tank. I wish it had a pellet dump though. My question for you is, why are you on your 2nd? What happened to your first one?
Fair question. I should have clarified that in my original post. I relocated from Minnesota to Florida, and did not want to have the hassle of loading, hauling, and unloading such a big smoker. Sold my old one at the end of Covid for what I paid for it and just bought a new one once I got down here.

I can attest to the Yoder’s ability to perform in extremely frigid conditions as well as really humid conditions. The only differences down here I use far less fuel for my cooks.

Why do you think you need a pellet dump? You can always auger the hopper to clear it out and scooping with a cup to clear out your pellets is quite easy.

Fair question. I should have clarified that in my original post. I relocated from Minnesota to Florida, and did not want to have the hassle of loading, hauling, and unloading such a big smoker. Sold my old one at the end of Covid for what I paid for it and just bought a new one once I got down here.

I can attest to the Yoder’s ability to perform in extremely frigid conditions as well as really humid conditions. The only differences down here I use far less fuel for my cooks.

Why do you think you need a pellet dump? You can always auger the hopper to clear it out and scooping with a cup to clear out your pellets is quite easy.
Good to know. I know you can scoop out the pellets, but a pellet dump just seems like a no brained.

Mak Grills. That will cover all your bases. Small company, great customer service.
I have a TEC gasser, Pitts & Spitts grill, and a MAK 2Star. If you plan to have it a long time, invest the money.

Get the MAK. I have had it 4 years now, use it year round 1x-2x per week. It ain’t going to smoke like a stick burner (I would argue your egg “smokes” better than any pellet grill). BUT, it is the best pellet grill for smoking out there, plus you can grill/cook up to 650+ degrees. Sometimes simpler is better, and is such the case with MAK. Made in the USA.

I only had to deal with their customer service once for a replacement manual. Left the manual out on the counter and the dog tore it up. I had a new one at no cost within week.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT