ADVERTISEMENT

Talk me out of it - New Pellet Grill

cment

Jun 1, 2006
Please will someone knock some sense into me. Background - I have a TEC gas grill that I love and a Komado Big Joe 2 that I use primarily for smoking, but sometimes I do steaks on it if I have the time. We grill about 4 nights a week and I smoke something at least 2 times a month.
I stumbled upon a review of the MAK General 2 Star pellet grill and all the sudden I want one BAD. Wife couldn't care less as long as I use it. I always snubbed my nose at pellet grills and only owned stick burners and kamado style cookers/smokers. Is having three grills on my deck overkill? I have the feeling the Big Joe will become a flower pot. MAK is offering a 15% labor day sale and I have everything in the cart.
I have never eaten anything smoked on a pellet grill. Will I notice a big difference? Am I going to regret this?

Please will someone knock some sense into me. Background - I have a TEC gas grill that I love and a Komado Big Joe 2 that I use primarily for smoking, but sometimes I do steaks on it if I have the time. We grill about 4 nights a week and I smoke something at least 2 times a month.
I stumbled upon a review of the MAK General 2 Star pellet grill and all the sudden I want one BAD. Wife couldn't care less as long as I use it. I always snubbed my nose at pellet grills and only owned stick burners and kamado style cookers/smokers. Is having three grills on my deck overkill? I have the feeling the Big Joe will become a flower pot. MAK is offering a 15% labor day sale and I have everything in the cart.
I have never eaten anything smoked on a pellet grill. Will I notice a big difference? Am I going to regret this?
I won’t. You are still cooking with wood just now they are compressed. Most don’t use any binders, so it’s all wood, just like you’ve been using. The temperature control is great, you don’t have to be on top of it as with a stick burner.
I have a Treager, but for the most part they all cook the same. It sounds like you like to cook, do go for it

Reactions: hlstone
Most grills take too much time to cook the food. If you want to speed up the process you might consider the Fire-Cook. Exclusively from Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. If interested, have your people call my people.😊

fa1b01ebe0f04460f682bb473990247f--gas-grill-reviews-natural-gas-grills.jpg

Most grills take too much time to cook the food. If you want to speed up the process you might consider the Fire-Cook. Exclusively from Fairgambit Worldwide Enterprises. If interested, have your people call my people.😊

These ship directly from Beirut right? Oh wait......

I have a MAK 2 Star - serial number 87! I purchased the grill in 2012. MAK is more expensive than many other brands but they are solidly built and the company really stands behind their products. I have done several upgrades on the Pellet Boss and probes as the control system has evolved. All SS parts are in perfect working order (albeit a bit Smoke/grime stained) going on over 9 years of all season use. I did have to replace a temp probe and fan at year 7 and MAK’s tech support was great in providing parts and videos on the upgrades.

A couple of points - MAK’s strong suit will be controlled smoking between temps of 175-350. It can get up to higher temps, but will never match the searing temps of a gas grill/ceramic smoker. High temperature is strongly dependent on pellet fuel used. Use during winter months is possible you will need to use more pellets etc.

A pellet grill will not replace a high output BTU grill for searing. But they are great for
long, no hassle cooks like ribs (5 hrs), pork butts (7-12 hr) and briskets. I have the Pellet Boss programmed to do the above items, adjusting automatically to smoke at 175’F for 1 hour and then raise temp to a preset temp (usually 265 ‘F for pork / 325’F for chicken thighs) and continue to cook for either time (4 hrs for ribs) or probe temp (butt/brisket - 205’F). For pork shoulder I’ve actually put a butt on at 9 pm, went to bed, woke at 6 am, removed at 203’F, wrapped in foil, placed in cooler and drove to the Beav to serve (pulled pork).

I have a Big Green Egg and a Blackstone griddle.

Don't get the appeal of the pellet grills. Seem to be one trick ponies. It doesn't get hot enough to truly grill things like chicken, chops or steaks.

It might be easier as a smoker, but I know my BGE like the back of my hand and dial in a temp that will hold for hours without me messing with it.

I can have my Egg fired up and ready to cook in 10 minutes, so im not sure where your "time" element is limiting you.

I have a MAK 2 Star - serial number 87! I purchased the grill in 2012. MAK is more expensive than many other brands but they are solidly built and the company really stands behind their products. I have done several upgrades on the Pellet Boss and probes as the control system has involved. All SS parts are in perfect working order (albeit a bit Smoke/grime stained) going on over 9 years of all season use. I did have to replace a temp probe and fan at year 7 and MAK’s tech support was great in providing parts and videos on the upgrades.

A couple of points - MAK’s strong suit will be controlled smoking between temps of 175-350. It can get up to higher temps, but will never match the searing temps of a gas grill/ceramic smoker. High temperature is strongly dependent on pellet fuel used. Use during winter months is possible you will need to use more pellets etc.

A pellet grill will not replace a high output BTU grill for searing. But they are great for
long, no hassle cooks like ribs (5 hrs), pork butts (7-12 hr) and briskets. I have the Pellet Boss programmed to do the above items, adjusting automatically to smoke at 175’F for 1 hour and then raise temp to a preset temp (usually 265 ‘F for pork / 325’F for chicken thighs) and continue to cook for either time (4 hrs for ribs) or probe temp (butt/brisket - 205’F). For pork shoulder I’ve actually put a butt on at 9 pm, went to bed, woke at 6 am, removed at 203’F, wrapped in foil, placed in cooler and drove to the Beav to serve (pulled pork).
Thanks Flavor. I am going to use it as a dedicated smoker/cooker. I will use the TEC or Joe for grilling applications. Thanks for the great response.

I have a kamado joe Classic and love it. Everything tastes awesome. The only thing I can’t do is cold smoke. Although I understand there are ways to do that too. I would trade my Weber for a Blackstone griddle and never look back.

I love my BGE and Blackstone griddle. I have the carcass of an old charbroil gas grill that I haven’t used in 4-5 years, and I’m never getting another gas grill. I would very much like to augment my outdoor cooking arsenal with a pellet smoker someday. I’m not sure about which brand or model, but will research once I commit to building the outdoor kitchen.

Don't get the appeal of the pellet grills. Seem to be one trick ponies. It doesn't get hot enough to truly grill things like chicken, chops or steaks.

It might be easier as a smoker, but I know my BGE like the back of my hand and dial in a temp that will hold for hours without me messing with it.

I can have my Egg fired up and ready to cook in 10 minutes, so im not sure where your "time" element is limiting you.

This is my issue. I am only looking at it as a smoker/cooker and won't be grilling on it. I have been using Kamado,s 14/15 years, and I too have it dialed in. My problem is that the 24" Big Joe eats a ton fuel and does take longer to get up to grilling Temps than my old BGE/L or Primo (to me the Primo was my favorite). And I started to run a Flame Boss controller two years ago. I don't need a new smoker/cooker, but I really want one and try something new. I think if I had stayed with the Primo (or large egg) and not "upgraded" to the Big Joe, I don't think I would be considering it. Thinking of getting the MAK, sell the Joe, and buy a Webber kettle.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and PSU87
This is my issue. I am only looking at it as a smoker/cooker and won't be grilling on it. I have been using Kamado,s 14/15 years, and I too have it dialed in. My problem is that the 24" Big Joe eats a ton fuel and does take longer to get up to grilling Temps than my old BGE/L or Primo (to me the Primo was my favorite). And I started to run a Flame Boss controller two years ago. I don't need a new smoker/cooker, but I really want one and try something new. I think if I had stayed with the Primo (or large egg) and not "upgraded" to the Big Joe, I don't think I would be considering it. Thinking of getting the MAK, sell the Joe, and buy a Webber kettle.
Ahh...the 24.....yeah I see your dilemma now.

I have a MAK 2 Star - serial number 87! I purchased the grill in 2012. MAK is more expensive than many other brands but they are solidly built and the company really stands behind their products. I have done several upgrades on the Pellet Boss and probes as the control system has evolved. All SS parts are in perfect working order (albeit a bit Smoke/grime stained) going on over 9 years of all season use. I did have to replace a temp probe and fan at year 7 and MAK’s tech support was great in providing parts and videos on the upgrades.

One last question Flavor, is the wifi option a POS problem as been reported? Not a deal breaker for me, but wanted to see if I should gamble on it from the start.

My dad recently bought a Green Mountain pellet grill (one of the bigger models). I've used it a few times, since I'm his party chef. It's spectacular to cook on. Heats up quick, easy on fuel, push button temp settings, built in temperature probe. He got a rotisserie for it too. The only thing I don't like is the way the lid is designed, I tend to get blasted by heat and smoke when I open it.

Make sure you get food grade pellets. They are different than the ones for regular furnaces. Plus you can get several flavors of wood.

Bought a "Green Mountain" pellet 1 year ago (used). Haven't used the gas grill since. Food is so moist and tasty. I've tried most everything and haven't come close to messing up. Example: 6 pound pork roast. Big and thick.... when done tender and juicy inside. BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: demlion and 81b&w

One of the hottest products around!

Reactions: fairgambit

PSU87,
I'm confused I grill on my pellet all the time. I set the temp and it stays within 5 degrees all the time. I can take mine up to 450 degrees... how hot do you cook your food?? Mine is ready to go in about 10 minutes.

Just wondering?? Thanks.

Reactions: Pete in LA
PSU87,
I'm confused I grill on my pellet all the time. I set the temp and it stays within 5 degrees all the time. I can take mine up to 450 degrees... how hot do you cook your food?? Mine is ready to go in about 10 minutes.

Just wondering?? Thanks.
Depends on the food:).

400-450 is good for chicken breasts, and pork chops, but for chicken thighs or leg quarters I want 500-550, raised grid, for crispy skin. For searing steaks I want 600 or 650.

I don't have a pellet grill, but the one friend I know that has one laments that 400-450ish max temperature. It's not just temperature either... you're getting a different type of cook and heat transfer with open flame. Sure, you are getting the wood flavor, but not so much the char that you'd get from fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: pointingdogsrule

400-450 is good for chicken breasts, and pork chops, but for chicken thighs or leg quarters I want 500-550, raised grid, for crispy skin. For searing steaks I want 600 or 650.

I don't have a pellet grill, but the one friend I know that has one laments that 400-450ish max temperature.

You can get there, you just burn up a ton of pellets. Grilling is not a strong point or cost effective use for pellet grills, but most people only use them for smoking. And they do a really nice job of that

You can get there, you just burn up a ton of pellets. Grilling is not a strong point or cost effective use for pellet grills, but most people only use them for smoking. And they do a really nice job of that
I don't disagree, but hence my earlier comment about them being a "one trick pony"... smoker. My BGE will smoke, grill, and get too 700 degrees for searing steaks or doing Neopolitan style pizza.

You can argue that there are implements that do those things better...i.e. a pellet grill for smoking, or an Ooni for pizza.... but I have one thing sitting in my backyard kitchen that does them. (Full disclosure, I also have Blackstone griddle for stir fry, fajitas, fried rice, breakfast)

If the OP has the space and the cash for multiple backyard cooking implements... awesome. I'm just pointing out the drawback of the pellet grills.

Reactions: cment
Bought a "Green Mountain" pellet 1 year ago (used). Haven't used the gas grill since. Food is so moist and tasty. I've tried most everything and haven't come close to messing up. Example: 6 pound pork roast. Big and thick.... when done tender and juicy inside. BUY ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Green Mountain Dan'l Boone here. Idiot proof smoking. I've cooked 21 lb packer cut briskets and watched 10 people feast with forks only, no Knives. Great device!

I don't disagree, but hence my earlier comment about them being a "one trick pony"... smoker. My BGE will smoke, grill, and get too 700 degrees for searing steaks or doing Neopolitan style pizza.

You can argue that there are implements that do those things better...i.e. a pellet grill for smoking, or an Ooni for pizza.... but I have one thing sitting in my backyard kitchen that does them. (Full disclosure, I also have Blackstone griddle for stir fry, fajitas, fried rice, breakfast)

If the OP has the space and the cash for multiple backyard cooking implements... awesome. I'm just pointing out the drawback of the pellet grills.

I also have a BGE. Can't say I ever sear my steaks at 700. Do you do both sides and plate it after a rest?

If you are serious about getting a pellet smoker and want an all in one solution (and aren’t worried about a price tag) get a Yoder smoker. They are an all in one pellet option. I actually have a rectec and a Weber charcoal. My next purchase will be the Yoder. The open firebox allows for searing and grilling like a standard grill while being great for smoking. It also allows for you to use as a griddle.

I love my pellet smoker. Just used it yesterday to keep food warm during our cookout. set it at 180 and let it go for the day. Had to do that to keep my Weimaraner Barkley from eating ALL the food! It was the only safe place to keep it.

Reactions: cment
I also have a BGE. Can't say I ever sear my steaks at 700. Do you do both sides and plate it after a rest?
I sear my steaks 2-4 minutes per side depending on thickness at 700-1000 degrees (yes the Kamado and the TEC gasser can get that hot and beyond). After seering, the steaks are offset to the side for indirect cooking (and I turn the temp down on the TEC.)

Reactions: PSU87

Very true. A Kamado can do it all, doesn't rust rot and rellativly simple. I am just not digging that the fact I have to feed the 24" so much fuel to do anything. I upgraded to the XL model with idea of entertaining friends and family wich Has happened twice since I got it in the last 5 years. I managed 7 butts on it with a rack one time and 2 briskets / 1 turkey beast the other.

The best way to get over temptation is to give in to it.

My buddy just got a Weber EX6 for his lakehouse and tried it out today on chicken wings.
They were pretty great.
Has me considering a pellet smoker as well, so I say go for it

See cements post below....sear both sides at ludicrous hot for 2-3 minutes per side, then indirect at lower temp until done.

I've also done "reverse sear", where I cook it indirect at about 400 until 10 degrees below desired doneness. Remove from grill to rest while it heats up to 700. Then sear. I can't tell much difference and the timing is trickier.

I don't have a pellet grill, but the one friend I know that has one laments that 400-450ish max temperature. It's not just temperature either... you're getting a different type of cook and heat transfer with open flame. Sure, you are getting the wood flavor, but not so much the char that you'd get from fire.
I know my dad's pellet grill will get to at least 500 degrees. I don't know what the max temp is.
I do see your point with regards to the open flame char.

I’ll jump in here. I’m a noobie to smoking, but would like to give it a try. I have an opportunity to get a Camp Chef Woodwind with searbox at 45% off, so about $550. Is this a good buy, or should I be looking at other equipment?

The best way to get over temptation is to give in to it.
I gave in after a couple of cocktails this afternoon. I woke up thinking about the situation and after some very careful consideration, I just said "f**ck it". And after some more cocktails, I may end up with a Hasty-Bake charcoal grill too. Yikes!

I went with the Memphis Grill Pro. It’s pricey, but I live in minnesota and want to grill and smoke in winter. The Memphis Pro and Elite grills have very good insulation - far better than what I saw with the competition. Pardon the pun, but that’s what “sealed” it for me.

Regarding the flavor, it’s all about the brand of pellets you use. Experiment a bit on cheaper meats like chicken or pork shoulder until you find one you like.

My buddy - who is a bbq purist - calls my grill the ez bake oven, but has also said that the food that comes off my pellet is no different than his. He’s jealous that I don’t have to check my station every 15 minutes.

I went with the Memphis Grill Pro. It’s pricey, but I live in minnesota and want to grill and smoke in winter. The Memphis Pro and Elite grills have very good insulation - far better than what I saw with the competition. Pardon the pun, but that’s what “sealed” it for me.

Regarding the flavor, it’s all about the brand of pellets you use. Experiment a bit on cheaper meats like chicken or pork shoulder until you find one you like.

My buddy - who is a bbq purist - calls my grill the ez bake oven, but has also said that the food that comes off my pellet is no different than his. He’s jealous that I don’t have to check my station every 15 minutes.

My buddy who was a bbq purist had one of them ...

55dafa16abc35484ead107a60e12bc47.jpg

I have some buddies who are purists with their hand built stick smokers. I have others who split their firewood by hand, too, and change their own oil and remodel their own house and put their own new roof on. But I dont see those buddies much. They are too busy working their balls off being purists .

Looking at a Kamodo: BGE, Kamodo Joe or Vision Grill. I almost never cook for more than four people. I read the 18 inch is perfect for a small meal and the larger ones take too long to heat. Does anyone have any experience?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT