ADVERTISEMENT

Another SUV question intended for the need for speed!

Jerademan74

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I am in the market for a new SUV that is fun to drive! I want at least 325 HP, but don't want to spend over $55K. I am currently looking at the Jaguar F Pace Twin Turbo Prestige (340 HP), the Lincoln MKX (335 HP) and the Ford Explorer Sport (365 HP). Test driving all 3, the Jaguar F Pace seems to be the most fun to drive, but they are also the most expensive. I am wanting to stay away from any of the German SUV's (Mercedes, BMW or Audi) for personal reasons, so I know some will steer me in that direction, but don't bother. The V-8 Land Rover Super Turbo Sports are my dream car, but are too expensive. I saw that Volvo is coming out with a new XC60 with 400 HP via a twin engine combo (gas + electric). What are your comments or suggestions please?

high center of gravity, ponderous 4,400lb curb weight (and the ability to bring that to a halt) crappy visibility is not my idea of "fun-ta-drive"...

But were i forced to take one, I'd wiggle my bottom into the comfy chair behind the wheel of a Volvo XC90

#thorshammer

Reactions: PSU_Nut
I am in the market for a new SUV that is fun to drive! I want at least 325 HP, but don't want to spend over $55K. I am currently looking at the Jaguar F Pace Twin Turbo Prestige (340 HP), the Lincoln MKX (335 HP) and the Ford Explorer Sport (365 HP). Test driving all 3, the Jaguar F Pace seems to be the most fun to drive, but they are also the most expensive. I am wanting to stay away from any of the German SUV's (Mercedes, BMW or Audi) for personal reasons, so I know some will steer me in that direction, but don't bother. The V-8 Land Rover Super Turbo Sports are my dream car, but are too expensive. I saw that Volvo is coming out with a new XC60 with 400 HP via a twin engine combo (gas + electric). What are your comments or suggestions please?

I got an F Pace in April - Prestige model at 340 hp. I had no real interest in any American SUV, and I was bored with the Audi, MB and BMW offerings.

I really like it - I got some bells and whistles and the sticker was greater than $55k. But, it handles really well for an SUV; Jag did a great with marrying the SUV body with their sports sedan's chassis. It also sounds great. You can get in under $55k, if you are not interested in certain options.

Reactions: Obliviax
high center of gravity, ponderous 4,400lb curb weight (and the ability to bring that to a halt) crappy visibility is not my idea of "fun-ta-drive"...

But were i forced to take one, I'd wiggle my bottom into the comfy chair behind the wheel of a Volvo XC90

#thorshammer
MassimoManca: Are you talking about the Jag F Pace with too 2 high a center of gravity and bad visibility? I test drove it and didn't notice that, but what do you drive?

I got an F Pace in April - Prestige model at 340 hp. I had no real interest in any American SUV, and I was bored with the Audi, MB and BMW offerings.

I really like it - I got some bells and whistles and the sticker was greater than $55k. But, it handles really well for an SUV; Jag did a great with marrying the SUV body with their sports sedan's chassis. It also sounds great. You can get in under $55k, if you are not interested in certain options.
Thanks psuro. What are some of those options you got that you really like on the F Pace Prestige?

Thanks psuro. What are some of those options you got that you really like on the F Pace Prestige?

Nav system heated and cooled seats heads up display the hands free tailgate. I like the sports suspension option really tightens up the suspensuon and tunes up the exhaust - if you drive the car through a tunnel you will really appreciate it.

The HUD displays directions on the windscreen which helps when looking for a place you have not been before.

Back seat is heated and reclines.

Full panoramic sunroof with peekaboo shade. Lets light in but not heat.

You get a app for your phone so you can check fluids, locate the car if you are in a city and forget where it is and also you start the car and turn up or down the temperature. Should work great When temps start creeping much higher or lower

I did not get the super high end stereo parking assist or lane departure warning.

The car handles really well. In the test drive I took it through an s turn and it felt great.

Massimo is incorrect about center of gravity with this vehicle. It sits a little lower than a typical SUV which is something I like.

I certainly recommend the vehicle.

#thorshammer
I commend you on your "calm response". I read the original thread and immediately thought of you.

I just don't get the concept of "performance SUV's". Can you or anyone else explain the "need" for this vehicle?

$135,000 for a 6000# 11 mpg high-center-of-gravity rollover waiting-to-happen?
P1230652.jpg

Last edited:
I commend you on your "calm response". I read the original thread and immediately thought of you.

I just don't get the concept of "performance SUV". Can you or anyone else explain the "need" for this vehicle?

$135,000 for a 6000# 11 mph high-center-of-gravity rollover waiting-to-happen?
P1230652.jpg

At that price point it's not about need. It's about want. And some people want that vehicle. For whatever reason they can justify.

Reactions: Nitwit
Nav system heated and cooled seats heads up display the hands free tailgate. I like the sports suspension option really tightens up the suspensuon and tunes up the exhaust - if you drive the car through a tunnel you will really appreciate it.

The HUD displays directions on the windscreen which helps when looking for a place you have not been before.

Back seat is heated and reclines.

Full panoramic sunroof with peekaboo shade. Lets light in but not heat.

You get a app for your phone so you can check fluids, locate the car if you are in a city and forget where it is and also you start the car and turn up or down the temperature. Should work great When temps start creeping much higher or lower

I did not get the super high end stereo parking assist or lane departure warning.

The car handles really well. In the test drive I took it through an s turn and it felt great.

Massimo is incorrect about center of gravity with this vehicle. It sits a little lower than a typical SUV which is something I like.

I certainly recommend the vehicle.
Ro isn't it really a crossover though ? Jag looks unique for the price point. Side note, seems like the Maserati Levante is giving out deals, two of my friends just got one, haven't had the chance to ride in it. Look cool, interior pops, some of the reviews are meh.

At that price point it's not about need. It's about want. And some people want that vehicle. For whatever reason they can justify.
As a "vehicle enthusiast" I have a question for you (and others) for which I don't have an answer.

If Mercedes Benz makes vehicles like the G55 and the derivative Maybachs ($$$), "why doesn't BMW"?

To my knowledge, BMW doesn't participate in either of these high-end segments.

Something to ponder.

As a "vehicle enthusiast" I have a question for you (and others) for which I don't have an answer.

If Mercedes Benz makes vehicles like the G55 and the derivative Maybachs ($$$), "why doesn't BMW"?

To my knowledge, BMW doesn't participate in either of these high-end segments.

Something to ponder.

Because MB makes vehicles for market sectors that BMW is not interested in approaching.

MB has historically been a luxury flagship worldwide while BMW has been more of a drivers vehicle

MB also derives some applicable engineering from production of trucks and service vehicles. They also have a successful Formula One team from which they derive technology which they place first in high end luxury vehicles and then the tech starts to filter into medium size vehicles.

Hope that helps answer the question at least in part

Reactions: Peetz Pool Boy
Ro isn't it really a crossover though ? Jag looks unique for the price point. Side note, seems like the Maserati Levante is giving out deals, two of my friends just got one, haven't had the chance to ride in it. Look cool, interior pops, some of the reviews are meh.

I think Maserati rushed the Levante out the door.

Let me know if any of your friends pick up the new Bentley SUV

MassimoManca: Are you talking about the Jag F Pace with too 2 high a center of gravity and bad visibility? I test drove it and didn't notice that, but what do you drive?

Yes, yes I am.

My car weighs only 2,500lbs (not 4,500lbs), but it has 33% more pedals to play with ("so you say your automatic trucklet drives like a sportscar, eh?") , and is pretty well known for its handling acumen...

When it came to driving - a very wise, successful man once said: "Simplify, then add lightness"

Last edited:
I think that will drop like a brick to 150k in about a year or so. Seems like my FL based buddies love the used ragtop Continental GTs , I like it, but the wife and kids are like , it's an old mans car. My wholesalers, say the BMW engine in there is very reliable.

You seem like a 488 Spyder kind of guy to me.

Maybach is no longer a stand alone marquee as it was a few years ago in the relaunch, but more of a limited edition within a Benz dealership. The long wheelbase S that they convert into a Maybach looks so sweet inside, but it is really set up to be a chauffeured car.

When/if I win the Lottery....

No golf clubs in that. That's why I got the Benz GT-S. Great car, great exhaust note. Hatch allows you to fit in two sets of golf clubs. Algar Ferrari is really a bunch of *&()). Ownership changed not to long ago, and I haven't had a Ferrari since they changed ownership. Ferraris are really an interesting brand. My friend was the North American President of Girard Perregaux watches, and they had exclusive Ferrari edition watches for about ten years. I met many of the players in the US Market. Really a bizarre luxury group. Too much to type.

I will be in Italy next week and hope to visit the factory

If I do I will genuflect and I am not Catholic.

Enzo was a bad ass mofo.

I love the F Pace but it is annoying that they make you pay for the higher level trim to get the extra safety features. It is absolutely fun to drive. That is the best part. A practical SUV that drives like a sports car.

Reactions: Nitwit
I think Maserati rushed the Levante out the door.

Let me know if any of your friends pick up the new Bentley SUV
Maseratis and Bentleys?!

So THAT'S what it's like to buy a home for under $500,000 and have all that extra cash to spend on toys.

The Porsche Macan can be had for under $55k if you're willing to go the CPO route with under 10k miles. German again, so maybe it's not for you. Question, why doesn't Porsche make a sedan in the Audi 4 mold to compete with BMW or Mercedes? The Panamera is just too weird of a car.

I love the F Pace but it is annoying that they make you pay for the higher level trim to get the extra safety features. It is absolutely fun to drive. That is the best part. A practical SUV that drives like a sports car.
You and psuro have convinced me to get the F Pace Prestige, despite Massimo's comments! Thanks!!!

Maseratis and Bentleys?!

So THAT'S what it's like to buy a home for under $500,000 and have all that extra cash to spend on toys.

Many years ago I knew a guy in Texas who owned a MB, his house did not look like he would drive a MB. I asked him why he drove a MB, but his house looked like he should be driving a K-car. His response:

"Because more people will see me in my car than will see me in my house. And the people who see me in my house won't care what my house looks like."

He didn't own a mansion, just a quaint 3br rancher. Nicely kept, but you would not expect a MB to be parked in the garage.

Reactions: LafayetteBear
You and psuro have convinced me to get the F Pace Prestige, despite Massimo's comments! Thanks!!!
I think you will like it. I tried to get one in black, but they did not have what I was looking for in terms of options, so I got a grey one- still good, as it does not show dirt as readily.

But the car's shape does make it look good in black.

I think you will like it. I tried to get one in black, but they did not have what I was looking for in terms of options, so I got a grey one- still good, as it does not show dirt as readily.

But the car's shape does make it look good in black.
Thanks psuro: I like the dark blue or green exterior with light beige interior, but will take whatever one is the best deal!

We ended up with the F Pace R Sport. The upgraded stereo system was a no brainer for me because I wanted the big touchscreen. We have had it since July 2016. Silver with oyster interior. I only use the sport mode to merge onto highways. The car really takes off in sport mode. Before I bought I spent a lot of time on an F Pace forum site:

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum#/

Reactions: Jerademan74
Get an Infiniti QX50 or QX70. I have a QX50. It has 325 hp and is very fast. It jumps off the line at a light. I love mine.

I am leasing a Ford Edge Sport, which is great fun at about a 45-46K pricepoint fully loaded (less with negotiation). My 2016 has 315 hp,
350 lb/ft of torque. Plenty of power. V6 twin turbo.

We ended up with the F Pace R Sport. The upgraded stereo system was a no brainer for me because I wanted the big touchscreen. We have had it since July 2016. Silver with oyster interior. I only use the sport mode to merge onto highways. The car really takes off in sport mode. Before I bought I spent a lot of time on an F Pace forum site:

http://www.fpaceforum.com/forum#/
This link has been very helpful thanks. It seems that there are many mechanical issues that people were reporting. Have you experienced any of these?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT