ADVERTISEMENT

Any non-premium intel on the recent FB camp scrimmage?

Thanks. Typical PSU scrimmage if true. This offense has to produce in a big way for this team to make the playoffs. I am one again in "show me" mode regrding the offense, not falling for any hype from coaches/players.

The good news is Singleton and Allen were held out. Personally, I think they need to make things as hard as possible for Allar because when we play OSU, that's what it's going to be every down.

Has his passing improved?
It was tongue in cheek. I forgot the winky. But yes, he has improved. It wasn't bad to begin with. The biggest problem was the previous OC more than anything. He's going to be number two until Alar is gone or out with injury that's just the way it is. Next year is his year and the year after. They will let him throw the ball more this year to start getting him ready for next year. Alar is number one period.

Has his passing improved?
Has Pribula ever completed a pass of over 10 yards in a game? Maybe he has but I can't remember one. Part of it is the plays they call when he is in the game, but as a fan not seeing practice I don't have any confidence in him being a B10 caliber passer. I also don't believe he is 6'2" tall, but if he's the 2nd coming of Doug Fluti that won't matter either......

Has Pribula ever completed a pass of over 10 yards in a game? Maybe he has but I can't remember one. Part of it is the plays they call when he is in the game, but as a fan not seeing practice I don't have any confidence in him being a B10 caliber passer. I also don't believe he is 6'2" tall, but if he's the 2nd coming of Doug Fluti that won't matter either......
yes he did. Remember he had a TD pass when he faked a run and tossed it. many thought he was faking taking a knee and the ref should have blown the play dead. From what I understand, he is a pretty good passer but an even better runner. He will be an excellent backup to DA or even a changeup. he did look really nervous his first few opportunities when the game was still in doubt. He almost fumbled the first snap, IIRC. Grunk is getting rave reviews with a strong arm and accuracy so far. But the QB is highly protected before the season and it can be a different story when the D can actually hit them.

I feel this is the deepest we've been at QB in quite a while.

Reactions: lazydave841

Without looking, yes, the long pass to Singleton in the bowl. It wasn't picture perfect per say, but he dropped it in between defenders without leading Nick into a defender to pop the ball loose.

Upon a small look, he had a 48 (the Singleton one), a 30, a 16, and an 11.

No way, shape, or form do I think he's a better passer or better QB than Allar presently. Agree about Yurcich play calling, but if you don't utilize his running then why take out passer #1 to let passer #2 throw?

Reactions: bison13
PSU will never let the kid throw the ball beyond five yards in a meaningful game. His MO is run Beau run!

PSU will never let the kid throw the ball beyond five yards in a meaningful game. His MO is run Beau run!

Which backups throw a lot for ANY team and ANY coach? Which of Joes backups had a lot of passing attempts?

Reactions: Hotshoe
1. Denmark is really standing out. Can play outside as well as the slot. Fast, great hands, can high point the ball. No idea how quick or often we see him, but he could be good enough to at least break the 2 deep.

2. RT still a battle with Donkoh believed to be in the lead. Rucci is doing good, but Donkoh is just developing *really* well. Donkoh probably ahead of Olu at the same points of their careers.

3. Mason Robinson looking like the 5th DE. Quick first step.

---
Credit Zach Seyko, Locked On Nittany Lions podcast.

"Some camp intel from the last live scrimmage... Defense was playing like they were the best in the country and everything AK tried to run was blown up. Offense ran a bunch screens, and only score 3 scrimmage points. You can't freak out over a scrimmage or the B&W game, but you can trust you eyes and know that PSU still lacks playmakers in the passing game. I'm expecting a better Allar but he will still have some of his limitations that got exposed last season. What is an offense that lacks dynamic wr's to do against a top10 defense that is selling out to stop all run and pass plays around the line of scrimmage? I'm sure that is what AK is working on night and day.. gimme outlets for Allar."

-post on free board, 247.

• Sad
Reactions: EdwardoCarrachio
"Some camp intel from the last live scrimmage... Defense was playing like they were the best in the country and everything AK tried to run was blown up. Offense ran a bunch screens, and only score 3 scrimmage points. You can't freak out over a scrimmage or the B&W game, but you can trust you eyes and know that PSU still lacks playmakers in the passing game. I'm expecting a better Allar but he will still have some of his limitations that got exposed last season. What is an offense that lacks dynamic wr's to do against a top10 defense that is selling out to stop all run and pass plays around the line of scrimmage? I'm sure that is what AK is working on night and day.. gimme outlets for Allar."

-post on free board, 247.
Not sold - at all - on Allar. Just does not seem to have “it.”

Would love to be wrong.

PSU best play is to feed Kaytron.

Would love to be wrong.

Hes going to have to have "it" otherwise it ain't happening for us. Feeding kaytron 30 times a game is not a championship formula either. Unless we somehow have Michigans's O-line from last year, we aren't going to ground and pound to the playoffs. For PSU to achieve our dreams, we are going to have to be able to recruit 5 star QBs that play like 5star QBs. If it ain't Allar, then send him packing and get this Grunk kid world class QB coaching(I guess our back up can't throw, not sure I agree).

Reactions: PSU4U
Hes going to have to have "it" otherwise it ain't happening for us. Feeding kaytron 30 times a game is not a championship formula either. Unless we somehow have Michigans's O-line from last year, we aren't going to ground and pound to the playoffs. For PSU to achieve our dreams, we are going to have to be able to recruit 5 star QBs that play like 5star QBs. If it ain't Allar, then send him packing and get this Grunk kid world class QB coaching(I guess our back up can't throw, not sure I agree).
First of all, Pribula can throw and throw it well enough they just haven't needed him to do that in a game. But true that seeing is believing.

Everyone hopes and prays Alar takes that next step starting with the WVA game. Unfortunately, old habits die hard so it's a wait and see game with Alar and how far he has progressed.

In a coach K offense maybe, Pribula is the better fit, but we really don't know much about him at this point, as in can he consistently hook up with his receivers. We know he can run like his hair is on fire, but does he have command of the playbook and can he consistently find the open receiver while not being an interception machine.

This team has lots of question marks and it starts with the QB's IMO.

Running is not a championship formula except Michigan used that formula and won a championship.

Last edited:
I agree 110%.

Allar seems to cower in big moments.

Will switch go on?

Hopefully.

God, this place is such a troll farm. As I stipulated, we don't have michigans offensive line nor their overall coaching commitment to ground and pound. Look at who we hired at OC for christ sake? For THIS team, we aren't going to pound our way to the championship. If we want to undo our entire offensive philosophy since Franklin has been here and build it over years....sure.

God, this place is such a troll farm. As I stipulated, we don't have michigans offensive line nor their overall coaching commitment to ground and pound. Look at who we hired at OC for christ sake? For THIS team, we aren't going to pound our way to the championship. If we want to undo our entire offensive philosophy since Franklin has been here and build it over years....sure.
What did you expect. You contradict yourself. You say running won't work and then list last years champ where it did work.

Do you think we have the receivers and QB to win passing the ball? The rbs and ol are the best shot.

What did you expect. You contradict yourself. You say running won't work and then list last years champ where it did work.

Do you think we have the receivers and QB to win passing the ball? The rbs and ol are the best shot.
When has our O-line, since Franklin has been here, even been in the same stratosphere as Michigan's has been the last two years? Michigans power offense isn't even an outlier against us, but in the last what, 10 years of football have you seen a team run the ball without attempting passes for 3 quarters? Iowa, Wisconsin build their teams that way....how's that working out? Their OCs are on their ass. Nevermind the fact it's entirely antithetical to our head coaches philosophy and obsession with "explosive plays." In order for this penn state team to have a dream season, the passing attack and Drew Allar are going to have to take a big step up and I see no suggestion, especially considering our OC hire, that Franklin has done a 180 on his offensive philosophy and will be looking to pound Singleton and kaytron 70 times a game. This is silly

PFF College football ranks Allar second behind Oregon's Gabriel for best in the B1G. Most ratings are in the top ten QB's nationwide. NFL draft prognostications are mostly first-round.

Remember, CJF fired the OC before the end of last season. That tells you where CJF thought the problem was.

Last edited:
When has our O-line, since Franklin has been here, even been in the same stratosphere as Michigan's has been the last two years? Michigans power offense isn't even an outlier against us, but in the last what, 10 years of football have you seen a team run the ball without attempting passes for 3 quarters? Iowa, Wisconsin build their teams that way....how's that working out? Their OCs are on their ass. Nevermind the fact it's entirely antithetical to our head coaches philosophy and obsession with "explosive plays." In order for this penn state team to have a dream season, the passing attack and Drew Allar are going to have to take a big step up and I see no suggestion, especially considering our OC hire, that Franklin has done a 180 on his offensive philosophy and will be looking to pound Singleton and kaytron 70 times a game. This is silly

YOU brought up Michigan the last two years. Where was Michigan the previous ten years?

Michigan got good when they demoted gattis and committed to running the ball. Running the ball improved their OL. It is easier to run block than pass block.

If you don't think the ol is good enough then your plan fails too. Doesn't the ol need to pass block? Is the ol, QB AND WRs good enough to win big? The rbs are good enough.

Wisconsin and Iowa are flawed examples, especially when you first mention Michigan who won the championship. Wisconsin made their bones running the ball. They have since regressed because they are trying to install a modern offense but they don't have the skill players. Iowa will never have he speed or skill players.

Last edited:
YOU brought up Michigan the last two years. Where was Michigan the previous ten years?

Michigan got good when they demoted gattis and committed to running the ball. Running the ball improved their OL. It is easier to run block than pass block.

If you don't think the ol is good enough then your plan fails too. Doesn't the ol need to pass block? Is the ol, QB AND WRs good enough to win big? The rbs are good enough.
Plus the cheating, don't forget that.

But I think UM was smart. Almost all defenses have downsized looking for a better pass defense than run defense. UM's running game caught everyone geared to win running games. UM just came out and just flexed. Its the ebb and flow of football fashion.

Plus the cheating, don't forget that.

But I think UM was smart. Almost all defenses have downsized looking for a better pass defense than run defense. UM's running game caught everyone geared to win running games. UM just came out and just flexed. Its the ebb and flow of football fashion.

They cheated. I don't think they needed to cheat. Once it was exposed they still ran over teams.

I even suggested we should hire stallions. There were aspects of their scheme that are legal. The in person scouting was against the rules but the film study and in game sign stealing is legal.

Running the ball actually should help the passing game. When a team goes three and out the QB ends up on the bench. When a team can pick up 1st downs running the ball that gives the offense more opportunities for the explosive passing plays. One extra first down can give an offense ten extra plays on a drive.

Last edited:

Wisconsin and Iowa are flawed examples, especially when you first mention Michigan who won the championship. Wisconsin made their bones running the ball. They have since regressed because they are trying to install a modern offense but they don't have the skill players. Iowa will never have he speed or skill players.
I'm good man, ill give you the win here.

They cheated. I don't think they needed to cheat. Once it was exposed they still ran over teams.

I even suggested we should hire stallions. There were aspects of their scheme that are legal. The in person scouting was against the rules but the film study and in game sign stealing is legal.

Running the ball actually should help the passing game. When a team goes three and out the QB ends up on the bench. When a team can pick up 1st downs running the ball that gives the offense more opportunities for the explosive passing plays. One extra first down can give an offense ten extra plays on a drive.
they had to go to overtime against Alabama.

Would love to be wrong.

I wonder how much Franklin’s emphasis on not turning the ball over has affected Allar? He has a gun of an arm, separation is not always a wide margin, I would like to see him be more confident throwing into tight windows and even throwing guys open.

Running is not a championship formula except Michigan used that formula and won a championship.
They were 100% committed to the run game. When the game was on the line in the second half against teams with a pulse they lined up with six, sometimes even seven OLinemen in tight formations and said here we come, try to stop us.

I wonder how much Franklin’s emphasis on not turning the ball over has affected Allar? He has a gun of an arm, separation is not always a wide margin, I would like to see him be more confident throwing into tight windows and even throwing guys open.
I absolutely think they talked to Allar after WVU last year. He was playing free. Remember one big play where he was scrambling to the right and threw back to the left into the middle of the field and hit a big play. And it worked. I think they kept talking him into checkdowns. Take the checkdown if it's there. Well guess what? If you are no longer taking shots downfield, then the checkdowns eventually get taken away.

Our “scouting department” also has not been in the same stratosphere as Michigan.

I absolutely think they talked to Allar after WVU last year. He was playing free. Remember one big play where he was scrambling to the right and threw back to the left into the middle of the field and hit a big play. And it worked. I think they kept talking him into checkdowns. Take the checkdown if it's there. Well guess what? If you are no longer taking shots downfield, then the checkdowns eventually get taken away.
Agree. He was instructed to not lose games. That we had a ton of talent that would win games but to not take risks. That was good for 10 games. In two games, he had to take risks and there was nothing there for him to count on. We couldn't establish a running or passing game. But our defense played great.

I also recall a HUGE number of miscommunications between QB and WR that I didn't see happening with TEs or RBs. I can't recall the number but remember seeing Allar throw into an open area with no WR within five yards. That was followed by some bad body language by the WR. I think that is what got our OC cooked.

I also recall a HUGE number of miscommunications between QB and WR that I didn't see happening with TEs or RBs.
There were a lot of rumors about the WR room being a hot mess. Not in terms of talent, but work ethic. Rumors that they weren't attending position meetings and such. Nothing ever came out about whether it was true but it could explain things like this, and why KLS essentially disappeared late in the season.

Which coaches dont emphasize winning the turnover battle?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT