ADVERTISEMENT

Any non-premium intel on the recent FB camp scrimmage?

FWIW, it's being reported that Singleton/Allen did not participate in the scrimmage. Say what you want about any offense, but you keep the two best players out and you can't expect to see results.

I'm not arguing the offense is going to be better/worse but if I had to guess those two guys are going to be major pieces to the offensive strategy that Coach K ultimately relies on this season.

With that being said, I don't trust this WR corps at all.

When has our O-line, since Franklin has been here, even been in the same stratosphere as Michigan's has been the last two years? Michigans power offense isn't even an outlier against us, but in the last what, 10 years of football have you seen a team run the ball without attempting passes for 3 quarters? Iowa, Wisconsin build their teams that way....how's that working out? Their OCs are on their ass. Nevermind the fact it's entirely antithetical to our head coaches philosophy and obsession with "explosive plays." In order for this penn state team to have a dream season, the passing attack and Drew Allar are going to have to take a big step up and I see no suggestion, especially considering our OC hire, that Franklin has done a 180 on his offensive philosophy and will be looking to pound Singleton and kaytron 70 times a game. This is silly
We don't make the playoff unless Allar has improved and we have a good WR passing game. Passing game does not have to be spectacular but much much better than last season. We are not grounding and pounding our way to the playoffs. O-Line not built for that and not the culture/style of Franklin or Kotelnicki.

Reactions: PSU4U and bdroc
Without looking, yes, the long pass to Singleton in the bowl. It wasn't picture perfect per say, but he dropped it in between defenders without leading Nick into a defender to pop the ball loose.

Upon a small look, he had a 48 (the Singleton one), a 30, a 16, and an 11.

No way, shape, or form do I think he's a better passer or better QB than Allar presently. Agree about Yurcich play calling, but if you don't utilize his running then why take out passer #1 to let passer #2 throw?
I would take Pribula over Allar any day. So what Allar has a big arm but Pribula is electric, has more athletic instincts and can actully take a few scrambles to the house. He is more McSorley! Allar is the second coming of Hackenberg. Clifford was a little of both but too inconsistent. We are more explosive with a true dual threat. McSorley didn't have a canon of an arm but by sending folks deep he would burn the defense they would tighten up and then he would deliver the haymaker over the top. Pribula stays healthy I expect the same from him.

I would take Pribula over Allar any day. So what Allar has a big arm but Pribula is electric, has more athletic instincts and can actully take a few scrambles to the house. He is more McSorley! Allar is the second coming of Hackenberg. Clifford was a little of both but too inconsistent. We are more explosive with a true dual threat. McSorley didn't have a canon of an arm but by sending folks deep he would burn the defense they would tighten up and then he would deliver the haymaker over the top. Pribula stays healthy I expect the same from him.
It is easy to look good from the bench. If you saw pribula for 12 games you would be calling for gronk.

You don't have to, we have both! And you will see both as the starting QB at different points in their PSU careers (unless Grunk continues on his current trajectory).

Some underestimate McSorley's arm. There's a reason why he signed another NFL contract recently.

Pribula may have some success at PSU but I do not expect him to sniff the NFL.

Reportedly Allar really worked on his athleticism this off season. Lost weight, got leaner. I expect him to be more successful scrambling this coming season, but we'll see in a few weeks....

Impacting this discussion is the fact that McSorely had NFL WR's to throw to. Strong WR's that made 50-50 balls into 80-20 balls, and had the speed to turn short passes into TD's as well. Have to hope the hype for Wallace is real.....

Reactions: BOSCO2 and bison13
Oh dear God we already have idiots wanting Beau to play

I think you are being a lot hard on Alar. But I agree he must show improvement in a number of areas. How much of Alar's problems and the WO's for that matter were the OC?

I'm a Big Pribula fan in a coach K offense but we simply do not know enough about Pribula throwing the football. That's why I have said they have to let him throw the ball this year and not just use him as a Tommy Stevens which I think would be a crime. I have never been a 2 QB fan but if they are going to play Pribula then play him with the full package with all the first team players.

I think you are being a lot hard on Alar. But I agree he must show improvement in a number of areas. How much of Alar's problems and the WO's for that matter were the OC?

I'm a Big Pribula fan in a coach K offense but we simply do not know enough about Pribula throwing the football. That's why I have said they have to let him throw the ball this year and not just use him as a Tommy Stevens which I think would be a crime. I have never been a 2 QB fan but if they are going to play Pribula then play him with the full package with all the first team players.
Nothing against Pribula, but to win big PSU needs to stick with one QB and right now that is Allar. Pribula will have a chance to start in 2025 if Allar goes to the NFL but a competition between Pribula and Grunk might not come out in Pribula's favor either.

The staff has seen Pribula throw lots in practice for over 2 years and now know his ability to throw, accuracy and arm strength. The fact that when he has played he mainly runs should tell us at least something about their evaluation of his ability to contribute throwing and running.....

Nothing against Pribula, but to win big PSU needs to stick with one QB and right now that is Allar. Pribula will have a chance to start in 2025 if Allar goes to the NFL but a competition between Pribula and Grunk might not come out in Pribula's favor either.

The staff has seen Pribula throw lots in practice for over 2 years and now know his ability to throw, accuracy and arm strength. The fact that when he has played he mainly runs should tell us at least something about their evaluation of his ability to contribute throwing and running.....
Will Levis.

Our staff apparently felt the same way about him as it currently does about Pribula.

I understand that Will and Beau have different skill sets however, Will is the only current PSU alum to be an NFL starting QB....

Will Levis.

Our staff apparently felt the same way about him as it currently does about Pribula.

I understand that Will and Beau have different skill sets however, Will is the only current PSU alum to be an NFL starting QB....

Levis improved a lot between leaving here and going to Kentucky. He was also a near perfect fit for their offense. They had a great OL his 1st year and a strong running game.

The only comparison between Levis and Beau (or even Stevens) is our penchant for running the backup QB. Beau doesn't have Levis arm strength (but not many do). To date, Beau hasn't seen as much game action as Will had to similar points.

Will Levis.

Ummm--Beau hasn't shown any ability to throw the ball...none
Not a great comp

Will Levis.

Yep, Will's frame and stature are light years different from Pribula's.... And we don't really know how the staff feels about the potential of Pribula to lead an offense in today's game where teams can't beat top 10 teams without a very good passing game, i.e. QB. And all we know about Franklin's feelings about Levis is that he believed he would have a better chance to win with Clifford as his starting QB. I do believe we know that Franklin wanted Levis to stay at PSU and would likely have made him the starting QB when Clifford left.

We won't know what Pribula has as a passer for sure until the staff puts Pribula into a game against a very good team and gives him a good many passing plays, and then he actually does pass the ball. If in deed that ever happens at PSU because there's no guarantee that will actually happen...

Last edited:
Reactions: RickinDayton

I get what you're saying but IMO they had Pribula run the ball because that was what was needed out of him at the time. That is in no way an indictment on his ability to throw the football accurately and or read defenses or any of that. I still say they need to give him the full package when he's in there and then we will all see and know if what is being said about him is accurate.

Nothing against Pribula, but to win big PSU needs to stick with one QB and right now that is Allar.
I agree with one exception. There are times in a game when the offense just isn't clicking and I have no problem bringing in Pribula to provide a change of pace. It also gives Allar time to speak with coaches and regroup.

I agree with one exception. There are times in a game when the offense just isn't clicking and I have no problem bringing in Pribula to provide a change of pace. It also gives Allar time to speak with coaches and regroup.
I don't see that helps honestly. He has time to speak to the coaches and regroup when the opponent has the ball. Taking him out only hinders his development and the goal for this team. If you're going to bench him then bench him but there can't be series for Beau.

If Allar's head still spins in games to the point where he needs additional time to talk to coaches during a game, in addition to all the time the other team has the ball PSU isn't getting to the playoff this season......

And the new OC should have a variety of plays such that changes of pace are built into the offense and the play calling.

For me the best scenario would be for Allar to play continuously until a win is in hand, only seeing Pribula in garbage time.

The running game should be the change of pace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT