ADVERTISEMENT

Anyone who was in State College in the mid 1980s

psuro

Aug 24, 2001
The corner table at the Skellar
and went to the Scorpion Bar- do you remember the name of a hard rock band that played there-originally from Harrisburg?

They did a version of The Turtles "Happy Together" that got done local airplay.

Circa 1987 /1988

and went to the Scorpion Bar- do you remember the name of a hard rock band that played there-originally from Harrisburg?

They did a version of The Turtles "Happy Together" that got done local airplay.

Circa 1987 /1988

I don't think this is it, but a buddy of mine played in a band called Bad Humour. Pretty talented group of musicians, the drummer especially. They played Yes, Rush, The Police, Van Halen.. fun band.

I don't think this is it, but a buddy of mine played in a band called Bad Humour. Pretty talented group of musicians, the drummer especially. They played Yes, Rush, The Police, Van Halen.. fun band.
Kevin W on lead guitar. I believe the singer had the nickname "Greek." Some guy "Beeks"(?) on keyboards.

Last edited:
Hybrid Ice was another band that often played at the Scorpion. They had a loyal following.

Last edited:
Reactions: flash86
Stoyln hours. The guys spun off from jr and became "tongue tied" hard rock. They did rock from comfortably numb to My favorite that they played was Kashmir.

Last edited:
Harpo kicked ass, but I don't remember hearing them do a version of Happy Together. They did do killer versions of The Zoo and Miracle Man...

Harpo kicked ass, but I don't remember hearing them do a version of Happy Together. They did do killer versions of The Zoo and Miracle Man...
If the did, it would have been interesting. They played hard stuff.

Harpo used to get regular air-play on WWZU "Zoo-92" ... particularly recall one great song called "Heart's Cold"... very difficult to find on YouTube... track is buried on an album someone was kind enough to post (track#5 on Armed to Deliver)

Anyone have any Tahoka Freeway music?

I used to have a tape of them. In mid-90's I was purging albums and tapes and got rid of it :(

Would love to find it again

Reactions: francofan
Kevin W on lead guitar. I believe the singer had the nickname "Greek." Some guy "Beeks"(?) on keyboards.

That's the band. Beeks was friends with the drummer (name was Randy). Beeks had gone to some music school in Boston and then transferred to PSU. Greek had a great voice. If I recall he could sing a number of Journey songs as well as Rush songs. They were a lot of fun. I remember just getting really buzzed and hanging out behind the band with my friend Randy and just getting into the music. This thread brought back some fun memories for me. Thanks Ro!

Reactions: mn78psu83
Not to hijack the thread, but Bookends (Susie Dore, Chris Mincer, and Bet Williams) will be back in S.C. for Arts Fest this year:

Bookends
https://www.facebook.com/BookendsPS...8558.359275010794867/1276411519081207/?type=3
Here is the lineup for Arts Festival Weekend! Thursday night at the Happy Valley Brewery 8-10; Friday July 14th at the Peoples Choice Festival from 3:30-4:30! The Phyrst from 7-9!
Saturday July 15th Arts Festival from 4-5 at the State Theater and Saturday night at the American Ale House from 9-11:00ish
1f3a4.png

From a few years ago:

Harpo used to get regular air-play on WWZU "Zoo-92" ... particularly recall one great song called "Heart's Cold"... very difficult to find on YouTube... track is buried on an album someone was kind enough to post (track#5 on Armed to Deliver)
If you listened to Harpo, did you ever get into Dirty Looks? A couple of guys left Harpo and played for DL during the late 80s early 90s.

I was there in the mid-to-late 80s. Defensive tackle Jim Deter was the biggest idiot that I encountered in 4 years of college...and that is saying a LOT. Total and complete moron. If you knew him, you will completely agree.

The Scorpion was a great place to see a band. Loved the Screaming Ducks. Great rendition of the Rolling Stones' Dead Flowers.
Memories....

Reactions: BBrown
This could be a pretty sweet thread...favorite indy bands that played in state college.....

mine was easily Badwrench

Reactions: BBrown
Ok, admittedly I wasn't a huge bar hopper during my college days, but I didn't live in Hammond library either......how is it I never heard of the Scorpion? Where was it?
I was more of a Gaff, GMan, Surf Club, Cafe 210 kinda guy.

This could be a pretty sweet thread...favorite indy bands that played in state college.....

mine was easily Badwrench
I'm older. My favorite local band was Mother Goose. They had a female lead singer who could really bring it.

Reactions: Cpeplion
Ok, admittedly I wasn't a huge bar hopper during my college days, but I didn't live in Hammond library either......how is it I never heard of the Scorpion? Where was it?
It was on West Calder - closed in the late 80's I think. Great Bar for Bands - they kicked us out of there at 2:30 many a weekend night - turned the lights up and told us to get the hell out they wanted to go home. Was a cool place.

Reactions: PSU87

It was not the kind of place where you go to hang out and drink. It was a place to see a band..and drink. I am not even sure if it was open when a band was not playing. I never when there to just drink.

Surf Club, LOL. I hated that place. I was a fan of Nellos. They had Bass Ale on tap.
But if you were there in '87 Scorpion might have been closed by then. Not sure of the exact date but I know it was in the late 80's.
It was still there when I graduated in '85 and I know it was there at least until '86 because I went to it at an Arts Fest.

Reactions: mn78psu83
It was not the kind of place where you go to hang out and drink. It was a place to see a band..and drink. I am not even sure if it was open when a band was not playing. I never when there to just drink.

I thought it was. Didn't the Witch Doctor spin records there? or am I getting it mixed up with another bar?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT