ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Friday

Is it me or do these NJ papers do a terrible job with reporting facts?
From "onthebanks.com":

"At 197, Rasheed is the No. 10 wrestler, but he has not wrestled since the Midlands at the end of December."

Just awful reporting.

From "onthebanks.com":

I don't dispute that the comment on Rasheed was awful reporting. That said, just a minor clarification. OnTheBanks is a blog, not a newspaper. It's part of the SB Nation umbrella.

From "onthebanks.com":

"At 197, Rasheed is the No. 10 wrestler, but he has not wrestled since the Midlands at the end of December."

Just awful reporting.
Impressive mistakes-to-sentence ratio there.
More onthebanks:

The Open Mat has Corey Keener (Sr. 16-7) at No. 20 at 125, so there is another potential ranked matchup.​

Here is what is basically comical.

The match everyone will be watching is at 125......

That is exactly the least interesting or compelling match of the day....unless Kuhn is wrestling then It is interesting. But EVERYONE?

Just curious, after reading the article linked below (which is two links removed from one of Tom's posted articles above)...I haven't been to Rutgers in well over a decade, long before they joined the Big Ten...does the fan base do what's mentioned in the article at wrestling matches too? Asking those that have experience, and attend their duals.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2015/9/10/9297013/rutgers-students-enough-with-f-penn-state

Just curious, after reading the article linked below (which is two links removed from one of Tom's posted articles above)

I haven't been to a PSU - Rutgers wrestling match @ Rutgers, so I can't answer Roars question. However, I should point out that the article Roar linked is from Sep. 10, 2015.

I haven't been to a PSU - Rutgers wrestling match @ Rutgers, so I can't answer Roars question. However, I should point out that the article Roar linked is from Sep. 10, 2015.
True. The stories I've heard about fan behavior at their place are more recent...didn't get the sense it's subsided.

Just curious, after reading the article linked below (which is two links removed from one of Tom's posted articles above)...I haven't been to Rutgers in well over a decade, long before they joined the Big Ten...does the fan base do what's mentioned in the article at wrestling matches too? Asking those that have experience, and attend their duals.

https://www.onthebanks.com/2015/9/10/9297013/rutgers-students-enough-with-f-penn-state
If it's anything like football, there won't be too many left to yell it...
screen-shot-2016-11-19-at-10-49-27-pm.png

Reactions: Afw6006
And they refuse to recognize the 1953 national championship. I'm betting Pitt claims it.

By chanting "F—Penn State" when we're playing, say, Norfolk State, it comes off as a bunch of immature teenagers giddy that they get to say a swear word in unison.

True. But I'll defend the NY Rangers fans "Potvin Sucks" chant at every home game, regardless of opponent, since it first became necessary in 1979. It's even been heard at other arenas when the Rangers aren't playing. I know someone who heard it at a Grateful Dead show. It connects today's fans to a key moment in the franchise's history.

What else do both Perennial Top Five Rutgers fans have to cheer for, other than F- Penn State?

It connects today's fans to a key moment in the franchise's history.

I concur. And as a sports nut and a history nut, I think the connection is a good thing.

I'd also point out that there are times where a tradition changes, and it's a good thing. There was a time when PSU students would sing "We don't know, the F*ing words" while the alma mater played at PSU football games. Now, the entire student section links arms, and sways while singing the actual words of the alma mater when it's played after a FB game (and also sung by the FB team standing by the student section). The earlier tradition was funny, but most seem to feel that the newer tradition is an improvement.

That tradition had changed before, was "We don't know the goddamn words" before I enrolled.

Reactions: psuflyguy
It was god damn words for me when in school. I do like singing the actual ones. Actually, when I transitioned to Alumni I changed, figuring it was a student thing.

Also, as I remember it was the challenge question when protecting the lion statue on homecoming. If they actually sang the real words they had to be from another school because real students did not know it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT