ADVERTISEMENT

Football The Ceiling, The Floor & Season Prediction for Penn State Football in 2023

Dylan Callaghan-Croley

Staff
Jun 14, 2020
With Penn State Football set to kick off the 2023 college football season on Sept. 2nd versus West Virginia, there is no better time than now to offer our season predictions for how our staff sees the Nittany Lions performing this season.

However, this year, our predictions will be a bit different as we offer our ceiling for the team, our floor for the team, and our actual predictions for Penn State Football in 2023.

Not a Happy Valley Insider subscriber? Join today for access to all our premium content and message board community. Already INSIDE? Join the conversation on THE LIONS DEN FORUM!

fh2wqtpe6gpekdjnsb7a

DYLAN CALLAGHAN-CROLEY'S PREDICTION....​

THE CEILING: 12-0 || THE FLOOR: 10-2
With Drew Allar under center this season, Penn State has all the makings of a true Big Ten contender this fall. They have two of the best running backs in the country, a solid wide receiver room, a deep tight end room, a strong offensive line, and a defense that, from front to back, is among the best in the country. This is as complete of a team as Penn State has had in a very long time.
The schedule for the Nittany Lions is also favorable heading into the season. Illinois and Iowa will be tough September matchups, but they're both matchups the Nittany Lions should be able to win. After Iowa, Northwestern, and UMass, with a bye week in between, should set the Nittany Lions up very well for their October 21 showdown against Ohio State. Ohio State, of course, will be one of the ultimate deciders of this season, along with the Nittany Lions' November matchup against Michigan. But outside of those two, games against Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Michigan State, the rest of the way are all games Penn State should be able to take care of business in.
I just don't see a scenario where Penn State should lose more than two games on their schedule. Its college football, so there's always a chance that there is an upset waiting to happen, but on paper? This is a team that is 10-2 at worst. Anything less than 10-2 this season would surely be classified as a disappointment.

PREDICTION: 11-1
I think Penn State is in a very good position to go 11-1 this season in the regular season. On paper, they should be able to handle everyone on their schedule outside of Ohio State and Michigan with ease to a certain extent. Though I'm sure, there will be a game in which they find themselves in a little bit more of a fistfight than expected. They'll split with Ohio State and Michigan if I had to guess right now, though I'm not sure which will be a tougher matchup for the Nittany Lions this season. I also believe there's a strong possibility that Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all finish 11-1, which will surely create some chaos.

MARTY LEAP'S PREDICTION....​

THE CEILING: 12-0 || THE FLOOR: 9-3
There is no denying the immense talent that Penn State has this season. It would not be easy, nothing ever is in the Big Ten East, but the Nittany Lions running the table and going to Indy at 12-0 is certainly a possibility. They have arguably the best defense in the conference, maybe the best running back duo in the country, and a quarterback with unlimited potential. Additionally, their tight end room is as good as anyone this side of Georgia and the offensive line should be improved.
That said, they still have to play Ohio State and Michigan, two preseason top 4 teams. A week 3 road trip to Illinois will be a challenge. 11 am local time kick-off, the first road start for Drew Allar, an Illini defensive line that might be the best they face all season. Iowa and Maryland could be tough as well. Combine this with question marks at wide receiver and new starting quarterback, and 9-3 could be on the table.

All of that said, give me 11-1 on the season. Will that get them to Indy? It may come down to tiebreakers in the Big Ten East. That said, unless an 11-1 regular season is followed up with a loss in Indy, it could very possibly land the Nittany Lions in the College Football Playoff.

RICHIE SCHNYDERITE'S PREDICTION....​

It's no secret Penn State could be in for a very big 2023 season, as they have the personnel and coaches to do so. In order for this team to get to that 12-0 mark, they will need new quarterback Drew Allar to play up to the level of hype surrounding him, and if he does that, I could see the team going undefeated in the regular season.
Now, it's no easy task, as you still have to go up against the likes of Michigan and Ohio State, as both are once again projected to finish near the top of the College Football polls. If Allar doesn't play up to that ranking, things could technically take a step back a bit this year as the floor would probably be around the three-loss mark, with losses to Michigan, Ohio State, and a random third Big Ten team.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as several others, I think Allar is that guy, and he will have a heck of a season, along with the likes of Allen and Singleton leading the way on offense. However, I'm not sure it will be enough to defeat the likes of Michigan as the Wolverines have one heck of a team this year. The good news here though is that as long as you take care of things in every other game, a record of 11-1 would likely slot Penn State very close to the College Football Playoffs. Only time will tell how good this team is, but I'd say an 11-1 season is a fair guess.

Reactions: lazydave841
With Penn State Football set to kick off the 2023 college football season on Sept. 2nd versus West Virginia, there is no better time than now to offer our season predictions for how our staff sees the Nittany Lions performing this season.

However, this year, our predictions will be a bit different as we offer our ceiling for the team, our floor for the team, and our actual predictions for Penn State Football in 2023.

Not a Happy Valley Insider subscriber? Join today for access to all our premium content and message board community. Already INSIDE? Join the conversation on THE LIONS DEN FORUM!

fh2wqtpe6gpekdjnsb7a

DYLAN CALLAGHAN-CROLEY'S PREDICTION....​

THE CEILING: 12-0 || THE FLOOR: 10-2
With Drew Allar under center this season, Penn State has all the makings of a true Big Ten contender this fall. They have two of the best running backs in the country, a solid wide receiver room, a deep tight end room, a strong offensive line, and a defense that, from front to back, is among the best in the country. This is as complete of a team as Penn State has had in a very long time.
The schedule for the Nittany Lions is also favorable heading into the season. Illinois and Iowa will be tough September matchups, but they're both matchups the Nittany Lions should be able to win. After Iowa, Northwestern, and UMass, with a bye week in between, should set the Nittany Lions up very well for their October 21 showdown against Ohio State. Ohio State, of course, will be one of the ultimate deciders of this season, along with the Nittany Lions' November matchup against Michigan. But outside of those two, games against Indiana, Rutgers, Maryland, and Michigan State, the rest of the way are all games Penn State should be able to take care of business in.
I just don't see a scenario where Penn State should lose more than two games on their schedule. Its college football, so there's always a chance that there is an upset waiting to happen, but on paper? This is a team that is 10-2 at worst. Anything less than 10-2 this season would surely be classified as a disappointment.

I think Penn State is in a very good position to go 11-1 this season in the regular season. On paper, they should be able to handle everyone on their schedule outside of Ohio State and Michigan with ease to a certain extent. Though I'm sure, there will be a game in which they find themselves in a little bit more of a fistfight than expected. They'll split with Ohio State and Michigan if I had to guess right now, though I'm not sure which will be a tougher matchup for the Nittany Lions this season. I also believe there's a strong possibility that Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State all finish 11-1, which will surely create some chaos.

MARTY LEAP'S PREDICTION....​

There is no denying the immense talent that Penn State has this season. It would not be easy, nothing ever is in the Big Ten East, but the Nittany Lions running the table and going to Indy at 12-0 is certainly a possibility. They have arguably the best defense in the conference, maybe the best running back duo in the country, and a quarterback with unlimited potential. Additionally, their tight end room is as good as anyone this side of Georgia and the offensive line should be improved.
That said, they still have to play Ohio State and Michigan, two preseason top 4 teams. A week 3 road trip to Illinois will be a challenge. 11 am local time kick-off, the first road start for Drew Allar, an Illini defensive line that might be the best they face all season. Iowa and Maryland could be tough as well. Combine this with question marks at wide receiver and new starting quarterback, and 9-3 could be on the table.

All of that said, give me 11-1 on the season. Will that get them to Indy? It may come down to tiebreakers in the Big Ten East. That said, unless an 11-1 regular season is followed up with a loss in Indy, it could very possibly land the Nittany Lions in the College Football Playoff.

RICHIE SCHNYDERITE'S PREDICTION....​

It's no secret Penn State could be in for a very big 2023 season, as they have the personnel and coaches to do so. In order for this team to get to that 12-0 mark, they will need new quarterback Drew Allar to play up to the level of hype surrounding him, and if he does that, I could see the team going undefeated in the regular season.
Now, it's no easy task, as you still have to go up against the likes of Michigan and Ohio State, as both are once again projected to finish near the top of the College Football polls. If Allar doesn't play up to that ranking, things could technically take a step back a bit this year as the floor would probably be around the three-loss mark, with losses to Michigan, Ohio State, and a random third Big Ten team.

Personally, I'm in the same boat as several others, I think Allar is that guy, and he will have a heck of a season, along with the likes of Allen and Singleton leading the way on offense. However, I'm not sure it will be enough to defeat the likes of Michigan as the Wolverines have one heck of a team this year. The good news here though is that as long as you take care of things in every other game, a record of 11-1 would likely slot Penn State very close to the College Football Playoffs. Only time will tell how good this team is, but I'd say an 11-1 season is a fair guess.
Bold. Dylan with a 10-2 floor seems a bit too rosy for me. I still acknowledge we could drop an Iowa or Illinois or even Maryland with a very off performance.

Ceiling 12-0, Floor 8-4, Prediction 11-1 (I'm drinking some of the kool aid)!

Correct answer is ceiling - 12-0, floor 9-3. We could Iowa or Illinois but not both.

No way the floor is less than 10-2 with that schedule. According to USAs updated rankings, PSUs top 5 toughest opponents in order on schedule with no tough back to backs.

Iowa #16
@Ohio State #3
@ Maryland #29
Michigan #2
@ Michigan State #50

Reactions: 19333lion
Thinking of popping my Draftkings cherry this season. They have the PSU over/under win total at 9.5. Feel pretty good about the over.

Rookie starting quarterback, little talent at receiver and defensive tackle and a much more difficult schedule. I think a realistic (no major injuries, or outbreaks of injuries or suspensions for us or our opponents) ceiling is 10 and 2 and a realistic floor is 8 and 4. Right now, I have 9 and 3.

Even if injuries are not of epidemic proportion...and splitting with the top dogs...folks are really underestimating how difficult it is to not only bring your A game every week but avoid bad bounces and critical bad calls to run the table for the rest of the schedule. I'm thinking 11-2...possibly 10-3 without knowing the bowl opponent or the # of opt outs.

Even if injuries are not of epidemic proportion...and splitting with the top dogs...folks are really underestimating how difficult it is to not only bring your A game every week but avoid bad bounces and critical bad calls to run the table for the rest of the schedule. I'm thinking 11-2...possibly 10-3 without knowing the bowl opponent or the # of opt outs.
I'm at 12-2. Yes, that means a playoff appearance and likely against Georgia or Alabama.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT