ADVERTISEMENT

Articles for Thursday

Tom McAndrew

May 29, 2001
enjoy

CDT: Penn State wrestling commit Aaron Brooks discusses life on and off the mat

CDT: Mailbag -- Should Oklahoma State or Penn State be the No. 1 dual team?
(this is from a few days ago -- I don't think I previously linked it)

Go Iowa Awesome: What if Iowa and Penn State Wrestled a Dual This Year?
(1st half of a joint project with BSD -- see below)

Black Shoe Diaries: What if Penn State Wrestled Iowa This Year?
(2nd half of a joint project with Go Iowa Awesome -- see above)

Lock Haven Express: Tom Elling's Wrestling Mat-Ters -- Regional Wrestling Preview

FloRadioLive 357: PSU/OKST Whiteboard War
(this is a podcast/video. The Whiteboard takes place @ 36 minutes)

FloWrestling: Ben Askren Destroyed Quentin Wright
(not sure if this is a Throwback Thursday post, or a bit of a promo for the upcoming Flo video on Askren, but it's a 2013 match)

Embedded in the Elling article:

"Former Slippery Rock wrestler Randy Loudon informs me that Penn State-DuBois is re-instituting the wrestling program. They are looking for some pretty good seniors who’d like to be part of what-promises-to-be a solid program."

"Former Slippery Rock wrestler Randy Loudon informs me that Penn State-DuBois is re-instituting the wrestling program. They are looking for some pretty good seniors who’d like to be part of what-promises-to-be a solid program."

I was hoping somebody would take notice of that. Elling often has a lot of interesting info in his weekly column. Way to go, Penn State-DuBois.

I was hoping somebody would take notice of that. Elling often has a lot of interesting info in his weekly column. Way to go, Penn State-DuBois.
So what's the NCAA rules for a kid who wrestles for a branch campus coming to main campus to wrestle Are the rules the same like it is for every transfer .

Embedded in the Elling article:

They have had a pretty successful club team over the past few years.

So what's the NCAA rules for a kid who wrestles for a branch campus coming to main campus to wrestle Are the rules the same like it is for every transfer .
It isn't a transfer.
Keith Mauer wrestled for a pretty solid PSU-Altoona team back in the late 70s and while he wasn't the starting 118 pounder at PSU-University Park he did start multiple times his junior and senior years of school.

It isn't a transfer.
Keith Mauer wrestled for a pretty solid PSU-Altoona team back in the late 70s and while he wasn't the starting 118 pounder at PSU-University Park he did start multiple times his junior and senior years of school.
But is that still true now -- that it isn't treated like a transfer? Maybe it is still true, don't know, but the academic situation is different now that 4-yr degrees are available at campuses other than UP, Erie, and Middletown.

May or may not help the question above about transfers...

How do I know if I am a transfer student-athlete?

Ask yourself if you have met any of the conditions — called “transfer triggers” — of a typical transfer situation:
1. Have you been a full-time student at a two- or four-year college during a regular academic term? Classes taken during summer terms do not count.
2. Have you practiced with a college team?
3. Have you practiced or competed while enrolled as a part-time student?
4. Have you received athletically related financial aid from a college while attending summer school?
5. If you attended a Division I school, have you received any type of financial aid from a college while attending summer school?

If you answered “yes” to any of those questions, you are likely a transfer student-athlete because you have met conditions that have triggered your transfer status. Now you need to learn how to meet the transfer rules so you can play your sport at a new NCAA school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT