ADVERTISEMENT

At this point, should recruits consider Day and Harbaugh as

Should recruits consider Day and Harbaugh as unlikely to be there should they commit?

• Day for sure

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Day coin toss

Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Harbaugh for sure

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Harbaugh coin toss

Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Neither, they are both safe to be there for a recruit's college days

Votes: 12 46.2%

• Total voters

Online Persona

Feb 2, 2022
Likely to not be there if they were to commit? For different reasons of course.

Day is squarely on the hot seat. If he loses to Michigan 3 straight years, he's gone. There is no way Ohio St will swallow that.

Harbaugh seems potentially off to the NFL, if not this year, more than likely next.

What are your thoughts? They both seem like big risks no matter what they are telling recruits and their parents.

Last edited:
Likely to be not be there if they were to commit? For different reasons of course.

Day is squarely on the hot seat. If he loses to Michigan 3 straight years, he's gone. There is no way Ohio St will swallow that.

Harbaugh seems potentially off to the NFL, if not this year, more than likely next.

What are your thoughts? They both seem like big risks no matter what they are telling recruits and their parents.
Would not bet on Jimbo to the NFL...he's got a good thing going at UM. Day gave GA their toughest game of the year in spite of GA playing a vaunted SEC sked...would have won had his kicker not choked.

Reactions: bytir
I haven’t seen anything to make me think either is leaving. Could they? Sure, but you could say that about any coach.

I think Harbaugh has it turned around in Ann Arbor and wants to win a title there. He could go to the NFL but I think if that’s what he really wanted he would have done it by now. If he wins a national title I’d could see him feel his job at Michigan was done and leave for the NFL.

As for Day, they are still playing very well and should have won last night. If he keeps losing to Michigan it will wear thin over time but I don’t think he’s on any serious hot seat other than from some OSU fans.

If Day leaves, does Hartline take over? Or too big a job for first time? Does Day even have NFL aspirations?

I don't think either are going anywhere. But I could forsee Harbaugh jumping to the NFL if he gets any flack internally. Especially if a team he is interested in has an opening.

If Day leaves, does Hartline take over? Or too big a job for first time? Does Day even have NFL aspirations?

I don't think either are going anywhere. But I could forsee Harbaugh jumping to the NFL if he gets any flack internally. Especially if a team he is interested in has an opening.
No one jumps from position coach to head coach. You'd have to believe if Day is forced out that Hartline takes that as a his cue to go get his OC job somewhere. Too much risk if a new guy comes in and he doesn't have a good fit.

No one jumps from position coach to head coach. You'd have to believe if Day is forced out that Hartline takes that as a his cue to go get his OC job somewhere. Too much risk if a new guy comes in and he doesn't have a good fit.
I kinda figured that, but he has that WR room so well stocked that it would be tough to see him leave if you're at OSU.

Likely to not be there if they were to commit? For different reasons of course.

I don't think recruits can ever be certain any coach will be there
And if they don't like it they just portal after a year so it doesn't even really matter
Also, no coach has ever told the players he's leaving or might not be there. See the joke over Paterno's "extensions"

I kinda figured that, but he has that WR room so well stocked that it would be tough to see him leave if you're at OSU.
Whomever hires Hartline as an OC, likely in the next year or so, also probably gets an immediately stocked WR room. Some recruits will follow as will likely some transfers.

Reactions: PAgeologist
Both schools will continue with excellent recruiting. Even should their respective HCs leave, there will be a quality replacement. Those schools aren't going away.
Its a loser's mentality to hope your opponent will be weakened by any circumstance other than you getting better and besting them on the field.
Pitt is still butt hurt that the Sandusky mess didn't help them.

THe kids know that whoever the coach is for these programs, the coach will be high speed thus not impact their decision.

I think we’re going to see harbaugh day and Franklin all in the nfl soon. This nil stuff is going to dictate a lot of the top guys leaving. Who wants to recruit the same player year after year after year could you imagine joe kissing these kids asses time after time. Run

Both schools will continue with excellent recruiting. Even should their respective HCs leave, there will be a quality replacement. Those schools aren't going away.
Its a loser's mentality to hope your opponent will be weakened by any circumstance other than you getting better and besting them on the field.
Pitt is still butt hurt that the Sandusky mess didn't help them.
Michigan is on Penn State level Ohio State is on Bama's level. Michigan recruits like PSU, Ohio State recruits like Bama. Michigan had success like PSU did 2016-19. The big picture says Bama & OSU are slightly above everyone with Georgia trying to get in that conversation. College football is like a 2-3 year thing because of the way rosters are built and how players are cycled 3-5 years. Teams don't just get good out of thin air for a year and then go away, you typically see 2-3 years of success. Ohio State and Alabama are the only schools that have maintained elite play annually for 5+ years.
The bigger problem for the Big 10 is that they just don't seem to be able to find a way to pull out the one more game while the SEC teams find a way to finish close games and gut out wins. It's a razor thin margin.
I thought Ohio State was the best team in the country this year and last night didn't change my mind. They never played at full strength at any point in the season and sometimes those things just happen, you just never get your team at full strength or at its best version of itself. But that's sports, sometimes the stars align and sometimes they don't.

THe kids know that whoever the coach is for these programs, the coach will be high speed thus not impact their decision.
Except it does all the time. Kids and parents build multi-year relationships with coaches. When coaches leave the relationships are sometimes more powerful than the affinity for the school. Probably shouldn't be that way, but we see it all the time.

To Marshall, no one thinks Michigan and Ohio St will suddenly fall off a cliff recruiting. But a coaching change almost always leads to lost recruits and some transfers from the team. That's short term but it's also just reality. If they have a splash hire, sometimes they can make some of that lull up or recharge if they were previously on a downslope.

Reactions: jbenedict
Whomever hires Hartline as an OC, likely in the next year or so, also probably gets an immediately stocked WR room. Some recruits will follow as will likely some transfers.
I'd love to see PSU bring Hartline in as OC if/when MY leaves. He is a star coach in the making. Problem might be keeping him for any length of time, especially if OC or HC opens at OSU.

Recruits, the elite ones, are in a "show me the money" mode. O$U more likely to play than MI. I think Harbaugh knows his chances at a NCAA championship are in the rear view mirror.

Reactions: bytir
Thought of John Harbaugh out of the gate. Googled this and didn't fully vet the results which could be dangerous, but Dabo, Ogeron, Fleck, Jim Harbaugh, and Urban Meyer were listed as never being an OC or DC prior to HC.

Urban Meyer was never a coordinator
Pat Fitzgerald was never a coordinator
Jim Harbaugh was never a coordinator
PJ Fleck was never a coordinator
Coach Prime was never a coordinator in at the college level (I guess we can count HS)
Dabo Swinney was either never a coordinator or was one for a couple games (can't remember if he was promoted to OC in 08)
I know it was a long time ago but I don't believe Kirk Ferentz was ever a coordinator
Jeff Saturday had zero experience if you want an NFL example

Do you want more examples of you being wrong? That's just off the top of my head.

Typically coaches are coordinators first but it's not a requirement

Thought of John Harbaugh out of the gate. Googled this and didn't fully vet the results which could be dangerous, but Dabo, Ogeron, Fleck, Jim Harbaugh, and Urban Meyer were listed as never being an OC or DC prior to HC.
Those are definitely true (not sure about Ed O)--there's countless others as well

Urban Meyer was never a coordinator
Pat Fitzgerald was never a coordinator
Jim Harbaugh was never a coordinator
PJ Fleck was never a coordinator
Coach Prime was never a coordinator in at the college level (I guess we can count HS)
Dabo Swinney was either never a coordinator or was one for a couple games (can't remember if he was promoted to OC in 08)
I know it was a long time ago but I don't believe Kirk Ferentz was ever a coordinator
Jeff Saturday had zero experience if you want an NFL example

Do you want more examples of you being wrong? That's just off the top of my head.

Typically coaches are coordinators first but it's not a requirement
It's very rare. That was the point. It was in response to a post pondering if Hartline is the next Ohio St head coach after Day. What % likelihood do you have Hartline as the next Ohio St head coach? If it is more than maybe 1 or 2% then you need your head examined. Ohio St doesn't hire position coaches to be their HC.

The longer Hartline stays as WR coach at OSU without leaving for an OC job or better, the more likely it is he eventually becomes OSU HC. Sooner than later likely.

The longer Hartline stays as WR coach at OSU without leaving for an OC job or better, the more likely it is he eventually becomes OSU HC. Sooner than later likely.
I would give very long odds against that. It's possible that they eventually move him to an OC job but Ohio St isn't even likely to hire an OC without a strong OC record elsewhere.

It's very rare. That was the point. It was in response to a post pondering if Hartline is the next Ohio St head coach after Day. What % likelihood do you have Hartline as the next Ohio St head coach? If it is more than maybe 1 or 2% then you need your head examined. Ohio St doesn't hire position coaches to be their HC.
If they fire Day I'd expect them to go after a huge name. If they can't get someone that has been successful as a head coach then Hartline becomes a possibility. Like ND hiring Freeman. Even though he was a DC that's not the type of hire I expected for ND.

It's definitely a low percent but far from impossible. I wouldn't expect Hartline to leave to be an OC but a lower level HC makes sense. For example, if Penn State was hiring a HC he wouldn't be in my top 10 (or maybe even 20) but if we hired an assistant his lack of coordinator experience wouldn't phase me. I'd just be angry we couldn't get one of our top choices.

Yes. Day's seat is not really warm...... yet.
Seriously doubt that Ohio St retains him if he not just loses 3 in a row but gets absolutely manhandled in 3 straight. If he comes close but Michigan isn't making them look like they are soft, maybe he gets a 4th shot.

There is no way Day gets fired going 11-1 with a loss to UM. What coach would take that job? Even Hartline and Vrabel may say no thanks if perfection is the standard. Horrible look and pr nightmare they'd never live down.

Nah, Hartline isn't remotely ready. Our OC position is open, so it's possible he gets a look. But even that might be a stretch.

To the OP -- Day runs a risk of being fired if he goes full John Cooper. But even losing to Michigan in 1995 and 1996 didn't really threaten Cooper's job because he had elite teams that beat everybody else. Cooper ultimately got fired because in addition to losing to Michigan, he started losing 4 other games.

If Day goes 11-1 most years with Michigan losses, he'll lose a lot of goodwill. But nobody is firing a guy that goes 11-1. He probably beats UGA in Atlanta if that targeting call isn't overturned.

The wildcard is how OSU adapts to NIL. Right now, northern teams aren't playing the game that southern teams are, and OSU has very publicly refused to match big dollar NIL offers to recruits. If their recruiting falls from elite status, then 11-1 becomes 10-2 or even 9-3, and that won't fly. Doubt it comes to that, though. Even without matching the SEC on NIL, he got a top-6 class.

With Harbaugh, who knows. Several inside sources really do think he's gone if he gets an offer, and the only reason he came back last year is because he bombed the Vikings interview. Who knows -- he's a weird guy that's tough to predict.

Does couple mean 2? I don't think the leash is that long. Although I think the playoff game actually helped his cause

Yes.......OSU fans have ridiculous expectations. The worst of any fan base in CFB. We're like Kentucky basketball fans.

But the UGA game performance has boosted optimism going into the offseason. Things were ugly after the Michigan game. But the Peach Bowl showed -- like the 2020 blowout over Clemson -- how good Day can be when he's loose. Michigan got in his head and the entire team was tight. If he overcomes that, he's in good shape. Won't be easy, but hardly impossible.

Right now, northern teams aren't playing the game that southern teams are, and OSU has very publicly refused to match big dollar NIL offers to recruits.

Are your alls NIL efforts more for on the roster proven players vs HS recruits?

Everybody remembers Ewers and his graduating early for NIL. The rest seemed to be on the roster, high end guys.

I'm not an insider. No subs to pay info at all. Just curious. I barely know our kids NIL info.

If Harbaugh can lose to tOSU as much as he did & still remain @ UMich then no AD in his right mind would can a coach for losing to the arch rival thrice especially if the Nuts go 11-1. Canning Day if he loses to UMich in '23 would ruin tOSU football. That's just not going to happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT