ADVERTISEMENT

Aug. 8 Practice Observations

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
I did my best to try and spot who all was running with the ones and twos during practice this evening. Ryan Buchholz was only notable players that I didn't spot with either unit. Obviously, we'll look for him next week.

Overall, both the first-team and second-team defense got the better of the offense today. About midway through the session, we overheard one of the coaches scoring the scrimmage at 7 to 1 defense. They just score who won the given play, offense or defense. The second-team offense played better later in the session, but overall, the defense got the best of the offense today. For the most part, everything was very basic. They don't show much when the media is there, so it was a lot of short passes and runs.

The most noteworthy take away from this evening, in my opinion, was the kicking battle between Jake Pinegar and Rafael Checa. It's still early in camp, but those were the two battling it out at the end of camp this evening. What that means moving forward, we'll see. Pinegar missed his first kick from 35 yards, but from there, both he and Checa made every kick from between 35 and 50 yards. Checa finished 5 for 5, Pinegar 4 for 5. Obviously, it's not in front of 100,000 fans inside Beaver Stadium, but was positive to see nonetheless.

Below are the depth charts that I spotted this evening. You can also find our photo gallery here: BWI Photos: Aug. 8 Practice

OFFENSE

First-Team Offense

WR Juwan Johnson
WR Mac Hippenhammer
WR KJ Hamler
WR Brandon Polk
WR DeAndre Thompkins

TE Jonathan Holland

OL Ryan Bates
OL Connor McGovern
OL Michal Menet
OL Steven Gonzalez