ADVERTISEMENT

B1G Awards

B1G Freshman of the year: Nolf

B1G Wrestler of the year: Zain

B1G Coach of the year: Cael

Huh? How does J-No win Freshman of the Year over Bo Knows Wrestling given the results and completion of the B1G Tournament??? Makes zero sense if you ask me - this conference is so freaking bizarre in so many regards. Bo will go into Nationals as the #1 Seed and with a B1G Championship (and turned in the most dominating Finals performance), but you give the Freshman of the Year Award to the guy who lost??? Unreal.

Huh? How does J-No win Freshman of the Year over Bo Knows Wrestling given the results and completion of the B1G Tournament??? Makes zero sense if you ask me - this conference is so freaking bizarre in so many regards. Bo will go into Nationals as the #1 Seed and with a B1G Championship (and turned in the most dominating Finals performance), but you give the Freshman of the Year Award to the guy who lost??? Unreal.

Nolf has out bonused Nickal over the year and pinned the undefeated returning champion. Both wrestlers are deserving of the award. It's a great *problem* to have...

Reactions: tikk10

To my knowledge - It's a season award, not tournament...Nolfs only loss was in OT to Imar (who he already beat) and Nickals only loss was to Nate Jackson. Add to that the fact that Nolf was statistically the most dominant wrestler going into the B1G tourney and I understand why Nolf was chosen.

All that being said, Nickal would have been a very logical choice as well - hard to argue against either IMO.

Cali_Nit kinda beat me to it...pretty cool to be rooting for a team where we get to argue about which one of our freshmen was more deserving of a B1G outstanding award!

Reactions: Cali_Nittany

Either one (Nolf or Nickal) worka for me. Nickal lost too. Nolf lost to the returning Nat'l Champ in OT (after he pinned the guy in duals - definitely THE most talked about match of the year). Nickal lost to a good wrestler but not on IMar's level. Granted, Nickal shot himself in the foot in that match but. It could go either way

To my knowledge - It's a season award, not tournament...Nolfs only loss was in OT to Imar (who he already beat) and Nickals only loss was to Nate Jackson. Add to that the fact that Nolf was statistically the most dominant wrestler going into the B1G tourney and I understand why Nolf was chosen.

All that being said, Nickal would have been a very logical choice as well - hard to argue against either IMO.

There's a reason they award it after the Conference Tournament, the notion that average team scoring is more important than winning a Conference Individual Championship at your weight is antithetical to what the wrestler's primary conference goal is......it is about as logical as calling riding for the sake of collecting riding time and nothing else "great wrestling". Given that Bo just won and Individual Conference Championship and is going into the National Tournament the nation's #1 seed, they are not equally deserving and just another absurdity of the B1G to not vote Bo the Freshman of the Year for their "Conference Season" which ends with the Conference Tournament and the Conference Individual Champions.

Reactions: NJ Lion
I bet Bo is happy for his teammate...

Huh??? You're looking at it in a completely inane fashion. The reality is that Bo is the only Freshman in the entire conference to win both the B1G regular season (e.g., #1 Seed in Conference Tournament) and an Individual Conference Championship. Again, only Freshman in conference to record that accomplishment, and the only Freshman in the conference to do that doesn't win Freshman of the Year? Only in this absurd conference would they choose not to recognize that Freshman.

Huh??? You're looking at it in a completely inane fashion. The reality is that Bo is the only Freshman in the entire conference to win both the B1G regular season (e.g., #1 Seed in Conference Tournament) and an Individual Conference Championship. Again, only Freshman in conference to record that accomplishment, and the only Freshman in the conference to do that doesn't win Freshman of the Year? Only in this absurd conference would they choose not to recognize that Freshman.

The only thing I found me absurd right now is you arguing for Bo over Jason SO adamantly - this could be argued all day long, but why???

I'm just glad that the only two freshman of the year candidates are both at PSU!

The only thing I found me absurd right now is you arguing for Bo over Jason SO adamantly - this could be argued all day long, but why???

I'm just glad that the only two freshman of the year candidates are both at PSU!

Because it is typical of the absurd things this conference "recognizes" and the manner in which they do it - absurd that the B1G did not recognize the ONLY Freshman to win a Conference Individual Championship as the the Freshman of the Year in the Conference, but fairly typical of this goofy-@ss conference and their absurdities.

Because it is typical of the absurd things this conference "recognizes" and the manner in which they do it - absurd that the B1G did not recognize the ONLY Freshman to win a Conference Individual Championship as the the Freshman of the Year in the Conference, but fairly typical of this goofy-@ss conference and their absurdities.
I think this board will be happy when you disappear again.

Reactions: diggerpup
There's a reason they award it after the Conference Tournament, the notion that average team scoring is more important than winning a Conference Individual Championship at your weight is antithetical to what the wrestler's primary conference goal is......it is about as logical as calling riding for the sake of collecting riding time and nothing else "great wrestling". Given that Bo just won and Individual Conference Championship and is going into the National Tournament the nation's #1 seed, they are not equally deserving and just another absurdity of the B1G to not vote Bo the Freshman of the Year for their "Conference Season" which ends with the Conference Tournament and the Conference Individual Champions.

Dude, I root *against* PSU in every sport just on principal, but even I gotta say that both of these kids are freakin' amazing. Nolf *pinned the returning national champ.* Nikal was on his back against Jackson, who really isn't on his level. Has Nolf been on his back at any point in the last several years? Don't complain about your team's good fortune, it just irritates the bejesus out of the rest of us, lol

My God, man, give it a break. We get it -- you disagree with the committee's selection. But it wasn't ridiculous, irrational, inane, absurd or anything else you want to call it. It was a tough, close call and, as many posters have tried to point out, there is sound reasoning behind the decision. It is amazing that any wrestler, let alone a frosh, can be the most dominant wrestler in the entire country over the course of an entire season, yet get shit for being awarded the outstanding freshman wrestler in his conference.

Sort of missed outstanding wrestler didn't you?

OW went to Zain. In one of his post Tournament Interviews, Cael Sanderson says that he thinks the OW of the Tournament should have been Bo Nickal given that he was the most dominant performer at his weight class overall and by far the most dominant in the Championship Finals. Agree with Cael - based on the "supposed criteria" for OW, Nickal should have been presented the award, but this wonderful b1g "Awards Committee" didn't even see fit to bestow Freshman of the Year on Nickal - or any award for that matter despite being the most dominant wrestler at the B1G Tournament according to none other than Cael himself.

Coin flip. Nolf lost to great opponent in B1G final. Nickel lost in a duel on an off balance toss.

My God, man, give it a break. We get it -- you disagree with the committee's selection. But it wasn't ridiculous, irrational, inane, absurd or anything else you want to call it. It was a tough, close call and, as many posters have tried to point out, there is sound reasoning behind the decision. It is amazing that any wrestler, let alone a frosh, can be the most dominant wrestler in the entire country over the course of an entire season, yet get shit for being awarded the outstanding freshman wrestler in his conference.

Yea, I guess that's why Cael himself in an interview after the Tourney said that he disagreed with OW Award and in his opinion it should have clearly gone to Nickal who was clearly the most dominant wrestler in winning his weight class and the clearly the most dominant wrestler in the Championship Finals (along with being the only Freshman to win a B1G Individual Championship). So I'm not the only one who thinks the "B1G Award Committee" is a bit daffy - Cael thinks that Nickal should have won the OW Award, but the "B1G Award Committee" didn't even find him worthy of the FOY Award despite being the only Freshman to win a B1G Individual Championship, and not only that, but the OW of the entire tournament according to none other than Cael Sanderson himself.

My guess is the committee looked at who was in the running. Nickel is the Macintosh replacement.....happy go lucky, laid back, ready to smile. The committee is afraid of Nolf, afraid of what might happen to the next guy he wrestles.

They are both amazing. They are both Penn Staters. They both appear to be very levelheaded young men who care more about the team than individual glory.

Yea, I guess that's why Cael himself in an interview after the Tourney said that he disagreed with OW Award and in his opinion it should have clearly gone to Nickal who was clearly the most dominant wrestler in winning his weight class and the clearly the most dominant wrestler in the Championship Finals (along with being the only Freshman to win a B1G Individual Championship). So I'm not the only one who thinks the "B1G Award Committee" is a bit daffy - Cael thinks that Nickal should have won the OW Award, but the "B1G Award Committee" didn't even find him worthy of the FOY Award despite being the only Freshman to win a B1G Individual Championship, and not only that, but the OW of the entire tournament according to none other than Cael Sanderson himself.

My personal OW was Jimmy Gulibon. I know secretly Cael agrees with me. Handed the B1G trophy to JG to pose the team picture. What more proof do you need?

My guess is the committee looked at who was in the running. Nickel is the Macintosh replacement.....happy go lucky, laid back, ready to smile. The committee is afraid of Nolf, afraid of what might happen to the next guy he wrestles.

They are both amazing. They are both Penn Staters. They both appear to be very levelheaded young men who care more about the team than individual glory.

Don't disagree with anything in your last paragraph - both great young men and incredible wrestlers. BUT, that has nothing to do with the "criteria" the "B1G Award Committee" is supposed to base their votes upon. Based on the stated criteria, Bo Nickal should have been awarded both the OW of the B1G Tournament (as even Cael pointed out) and the FOY Award, but the ever daffy b1g (that also loves to promote "stalling" as the hallmark of "incredible wrestling") didn't even see fit to vote the most dominant and OW of the B1G Tournament anything - go figure?

Enough with all the drama posts.

Five titles in six years. Everyone reasonably healthy. Great momentum onto NYC.

Between whining about the refs, whining about stalling; now whining about awards, ..... Holy hell.

So little time.
Soooooooo much drama !!!!

Last edited:
Enough with all the drama posts.

Five titles in six years. Everyone reasonably healthy. Great momentum onto NYC.

Between whining about the refs, whining about stalling; now whining about awards, ..... Holy hell.

So little time.
Soooooooo much drama !!!!
Penn State must be doing 'okay' if we have almost an entire thread based on who got what award not between teams but on the same team!

Reactions: diggerpup
OW went to Zain. In one of his post Tournament Interviews, Cael Sanderson says that he thinks the OW of the Tournament should have been Bo Nickal given that he was the most dominant performer at his weight class overall and by far the most dominant in the Championship Finals. Agree with Cael - based on the "supposed criteria" for OW, Nickal should have been presented the award, but this wonderful b1g "Awards Committee" didn't even see fit to bestow Freshman of the Year on Nickal - or any award for that matter despite being the most dominant wrestler at the B1G Tournament according to none other than Cael himself.
Outstanding wrestler of the tournament went to Martinez.

No one misspoke.

BTN names a "Cliff Keen Outstanding Wrestler," and that went to Retherford.

The B1G names an OW. That went to Martinez.

This is often a source of confusion. At Midlands, BTN gave the Cliff Keen award to Sorenson, while the actual OW trophy went to Andrew Long.

No one misspoke.

BTN names a "Cliff Keen Outstanding Wrestler," and that went to Retherford.

The B1G names an OW. That went to Martinez.

This is often a source of confusion. At Midlands, BTN gave the Cliff Keen award to Sorenson, while the actual OW trophy went to Andrew Long.

Got it, but the point stands - relative to the supposed criteria of the award, the B1G awarding it to Martinez, over several other people but especially Nickal, is ridiculous given that he only won his quarter against the 7-Seed 14-11 and most people believe he was pinned in the match despite it not being called. He then barely beat 6-Seed Murphy 5-4 in his semi. And won in the championship on RT-Differential??? Meanwhile Bo bonused his way into the finals and put on the most dominating show in any of the finals matches recording an 18-9 MD over Brunson. Leave it to the b1g clowns - rather than recognize "outstanding wrestling" and the guy who went out and "out-wrestled" and scored on everyone they put in front of him at their stall-fest, they recognize the guy whose team pulled the biggest bull$hit "slow-it-down, take-a-lunger" bushleague stall routine - go figure.

Are you related to Bo? If not why are you choosing to argue with fellow Penn Staters on the board? Do you have the voting criteria in your hand on how they choose the award? Both deserved it and we are extremely lucky to have them on the team. Let it go.

B1G Classiest Wrestler of the year: McIntosh

B1G Mullet of the year: Brooks

Any more to add?

Edit:
B1G Body Slam of the year: Nickal
One could arguably mention IMAR in this area. He very definitely mentioned how he now (understandably so) respects Nolf and how he prepared for him.

I've heard a few mentions about Martinez's classy post-tournament interview. I still have not seen or read this interview. Would someone kindly provide a link to it? Thanks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT