ADVERTISEMENT

Becca Vs NDGP

BrockBronson

May 20, 2021
Becca wins the D11 recruiting bowl 2023. Nate Desmond looked great and sealed the deal for Becca. Regardless it was a great environment and turned out to be a great Match. As much as I dislike the privates, you have to respect them. None of them run out of talent coming in and they are obviously doing stuff right. Karam, Cruz and now Hughes know how to win.

Some takeaways-

I thought Bryson Vaughn wrestled exceptionally well. Gave Kollin Rath all he could handle, had a shot to win late. Vaughn has had kind of a weird career at ND, but seems to be really putting it together and went toe-to-toe with one of the best kids in the country.

Similarly, Charlie Scanlan also have Vince Bouzakis all he could handle. Scanlan is only a sophomore, who got bumped out of the lineup for the postseason last year, so he’s not as big of a name statewide, but he’s going to make a lot of noise.

Holden Garcia thrashed Luke Thomas, which was impressive.

Karam is holding out Keanu Dillard, he didn’t use him against Easton or ND despite weighing him in for both matches (both teams have good 107s, with Smith obviously being elite). Was kind of surprised he didn’t give him a big spot for his varsity debut. Not sure he’ll get a real match until District duals.

Cooper Feltman beating returning state finalist Cole Campbell is not something I had on my bingo card. That’s probably the most surprising result in D11 this year.

Reactions: danoftw
I posted on another thread Garcia will be a handful at year end. Very physical and his motor doesn't stop.
Feltman wrestled a great match. His match kind of turned halfway thru 2nd period. Not sure if Campbell was nicked or under the weather.
It was a good night of high school wrestling.
Veres drinks way to much coffee.

I think winning a state title helped Garcia a ton. The last two years he’s wrestled like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. This year he looks more free. The rematch with Mackay should be great.

Campbell barely survived Chris Kelly in the Easton match on Thursday (4-3, and I thought he was stuck in a scramble in the 3rd). He might be nursing some sort of injury. I don’t know what McFillin weighs in at, but if he can get down from 127 to 123, there might be an opening there.

Feltman over Campbell is definitely One I had going the other way. I think both teams win PIAA titles this year. Becca has a few more years but this is the last one for NDGP, unless they keep getting Sem kids like Bouzakis. Faith academy Vs Becca next year in the bowl

I think winning a state title helped Garcia a ton. The last two years he’s wrestled like he had the weight of the world on his shoulders. This year he looks more free. The rematch with Mackay should be great.

Campbell barely survived Chris Kelly in the Easton match on Thursday (4-3, and I thought he was stuck in a scramble in the 3rd). He might be nursing some sort of injury. I don’t know what McFillin weighs in at, but if he can get down from 127 to 123, there might be an opening there.
I doubt we see that rematch with Mackey. Looks like Mackay will be at 160.

I heard NDGP looking at some good talent coming in next year. My source was vague but he's normally in the know.
I heard some stuff but who knows. Landing Bouzakis was impressive especially since it was right after Gill got denied going public to public. ND seems to have a good rapport with PIAA

I heard some stuff but who knows. Landing Bouzakis was impressive especially since it was right after Gill got denied going public to public. ND seems to have a good rapport with PIAA
I mean, they did have Sumpolec and Compton get ruled ineligible in back-to-back years, so it’s only but so good.

I’d be interested where the ND kids are coming from. Emmaus is the off the grid team that has a lot of Junior High talent, from what I understand - Emmaus kids have mostly transferred to Becahi (Dunn, Harmon).

I don’t think the Becahi talent pipeline will dry up anytime soon. Too centrally located in a talent rich area to not keep getting impact kids. They took a small class this year (just Dillard) because they took a HUGE class last year (Desmond, Rath, McFillin, Frinzi, Campbell, Scanlan, Deluise) and can’t get all of those kids in the lineup after two years. I’d assume they’ll have a bigger group this year, then another very large class entering in 2024.

Notre Dame has recruited the Slate Belt (Bangor/Pen Argyl )area the last couple years.
(Compton,Lapenna,Kelton)
Pen Argyl has some talent coming up that hasn't been harvest.?????

Last edited:
Notre Dame has recruited the Slate Belt Bangor/Pen Argyl area the last couple years.
(Compton,Lapenna,Kelton)
Not to mention the kids who come over from NJ (Ungar and company). I heard some of the Sem kids could be coming down. (Cheaper tuition, Easy transfer prep to private, and same type of schedule)

Notre Dame has recruited the Slate Belt Bangor/Pen Argyl area the last couple years.
(Compton,Lapenna,Kelton)
I was surprised the other two Bangor freshman didn’t jump with Kelton - I thought if a Bangor was losing one they’d lose all three. I know their youth programs are booming.

Pen Argyl hung onto Ramsay this year. It’s year two for Tom Mertz, who is a pretty established, solid head coach. That might keep more kids than they have in the past.

What I don’t think will be sustainable is getting kids to establish residency by moving from out of state to go to Wyoming Seminary, then transferring to ND. Lost Boys also doesn’t really run youth programming anymore, they scrapped their own junior high program, Red Hawk strongly discourages their kids from going to ND, they’ve never really had an in with Steel Valley, seems like kids at The Hunt are staying at Easton. They can keep pushing their boundaries further out into Jersey and the far reaches of Lehigh county. But from the outside, I’m not sure what the recruiting strategy is going to be long term.

yes Garcia is very good!

Or a good chairman who owns Lombardi & makes the calls when it comes to wrestling ❤️Man

And we’ve devolved completely

I did see a comment from Desmond’s mom that he’s “wanted to be a Nittany Lion since he was 10” so maybe that gets us back on track?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT