ADVERTISEMENT

Bella Notte Pizza In Pittsburgh

Obliviax

Gold Member
Aug 21, 2001
reviewed by Barstool. While he didn't like the doughy style pizza, he gave it a good score. Also, you can see that PSU Kent game being advertised for a watch party there. A few days ago they did a pizza in Murrysville (A Slice of New York) and LOVED it.

reviewed by Barstool. While he didn't like the doughy style pizza, he gave it a good score. Also, you can see that PSU Kent game being advertised for a watch party there. A few days ago they did a pizza in Murrysville (A Slice of New York) and LOVED it.

Portnoy has a very particular preference in his pizzas, so his reviews are of limited utility ... however, his comment about how fugly Pittsburgh area folks are was funny.

Portnoy has a very particular preference in his pizzas, so his reviews are of limited utility ... however, his comment about how fugly Pittsburgh area folks are was funny.
Yep. He likes very thin and crispy pies. But he’s been very complimentary of the pies in Pittsburg of any type so far. But this is true of writing; there is no way to mathematically rate pizza. It’s all gut and emotion. The good news is it is great PR for tiny pizza shops.

It’s no Osso’s though 😁
Are you familiar with/like DiCarlo's Pizza also in Washington, PA.

I previously had access to some prime deer hunting land in that area and we would always stop there for a pizza. It was very good.

This was close to 20 years ago.
Yep. He likes very thin and crispy pies. But he’s been very complimentary of the pies in Pittsburg of any type so far. But this is true of writing; there is no way to mathematically rate pizza. It’s all gut and emotion. The good news is it is great PR for tiny pizza shops.
Vincents Pizza on Ardmore Blvd. Home of the original 'Vinnie Pie': <<<link shows a pic of a vintage 'Vinnie' with his 5 lb. pizza pie!

4ff872cf6175520f1f9f040dfd246e52_1452991686.jpg

This is obviously not the type of Pizza that Portnoy would review, it is a very good and unique pizza from my youth.

On the to go orders, they used to place your pie on a heavy piece of carboard and wrap it with old newspapers and tape it up.

VERY generous with the toppings....

Last edited:
Reactions: Obliviax

Over the hill from me and I have never heard of it. I see it in my near future.

The bad news is its bad PR, or no PR, while competing pizza shops get good PR, for those who don't make his particular favorite style of pizza, thereby hurting other tiny pizza shops. It'd obviously be a better situation if he had an appreciation for all types of pizza.

Are you familiar with/like DiCarlo's Pizza also in Washington, PA.

I previously had access to some prime deer hunting land in that area and we would always stop there for a pizza. It was very good.

This was close to 20 years ago.

Vincents Pizza on Ardmore Blvd. Home of the original 'Vinnie Pie': <<<link shows a pic of a vintage 'Vinnie' with his 5 lb. pizza pie!

4ff872cf6175520f1f9f040dfd246e52_1452991686.jpg

This is obviously not the type of Pizza that Portnoy would review, it is a very good and unique pizza from my youth.

On the to go orders, they used to place your pie on a heavy piece of carboard and wrap it with old newspapers and tape it up.

VERY generous with the toppings....
I did not know there was a Di Carlos in Washington. I am very familiar with the one in Wellsburg, West Virginia and think it is the best, not only of the other DiCarlos, but best pizza ever.

Reactions: Lion_Backer
Vince’s granddaughter runs the pizza business now. Vince (Chianese) passed in 2010. The pizzas are still placed on heavy cardboard and wrapped with white butcher paper and stapled to the cardboard. The link below is from Pittsburgh A to Z by Rick Sebak. ‘V’ is for Vinnie Pie.

Vinnie Pie

Reactions: Lion_Backer
The bad news is its bad PR, or no PR, while competing pizza shops get good PR, for those who don't make his particular favorite style of pizza, thereby hurting other tiny pizza shops. It'd obviously be a better situation if he had an appreciation for all types of pizza.
Or if he wasn't a complete f*cking idiot.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT