ADVERTISEMENT

Best Route to State College this weekend?

PSU_Chicago

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Plan to leave the West Chester area at ~ 8PM Friday evening. Return Sunday AM.

Thanks for the help!

tenor.gif

I’d go Turnpike to 322. At the time you’re coming, it’s not worth it to go out of your way to avoid Seven Mountains.

Reactions: step.eng69

Thanks for the help!
30W to Lancaster then 283 to Harrisburg

283N to 322N to 81S to 322N out of Harrisburg

Then 322 all the way to State College.

Alternate:
100N to Turnpike in Lionville.

Turnpike to 283N in Harrisburg.

Thanks for the help!
I am in West Chester as well and last went up for Kent State early on game day and no real issues. Lot's of Construction around Harrisburgh and going up Seven Mountains where it drops to 1 lane - lost about 20 minutes there but still made good time overall - they were not working on the weekend so that made it better - you should be OK.

30W to Lancaster then 283 to Harrisburg

Alternate:
100N to Turnpike in Lionville.

Turnpike to 283N in Harrisburg.

This. Been taking this route for 20+ years from my place in Chester County. Since you are leaving Friday night at 8PM you will have no issues with Hbg rush hour or any other normal game day traffic back ups.

Reactions: Bobpsu
Hope you have smooth sailing all the way in to town. That time of night should be fine but I would check Seven Mountains\Potter Mills on Waze or something about 30 mins before getting there so you can detour around it in time. This is probably the exception, but due to the construction in Potters Mills, there have been some freak accidents there. A couple Friday nights ago, there was an accident at like 9:00 PM, sports teams traveling back to the area from Harrisburg ended up getting stuck in it and didn't return back to school until 2:00 AM ish.

Just something to be aware of with all the traffic expected to come into State College this weekend. If all goes well, it should be smooth sailing.

Oh, lastly, the deer start acting funky this time of year(mating season?), I have been noticing a lot more deer on the sides of the highways up this way. Be careful and safe travels

Thanks for the help!

Route 30 sucks.

Based on a few m/c rides

Not sure where you are coming from in the West Chester Area, but you should be familiar with the Route 202/Route 1 interchange.

202 North (past Route 1), to 926 (Street Road) Turn left onto Route 926
Stay on 926 until it ends
10 south for about 100 yards
Turn right onto 856.
Follow 856, CROSS Route 30 until 856 ends at Smoketown Road.
Left onto Smoketown Road, and follow until Route 30 - NOW get on Route 30 West - you will have avoided all the traffic lights and strip malls on Route 30.
Follow 30 to 283 North
Follow 283 North to 81 South to 322 West
Stay on 322 West until cross the Susquehanna River
Take 11/15 north to Route 104 (left exit)
Stay on 104 to Route 45 - left on Route 45
Take Route 45 directly into State College

Yes, it will take longer, and you to watch out for deer and Amish, but you will avoid traffic - because I guarantee that there will be huge traffic jams on the major roads this weekend - getting into and getting out of State College and the PA Turnpike.

Route 30 Sucks.

Just to clear things up...if coming from the East, to get around Harrisburg...

1) Rt 30 West to Rt 283 West to Interstate 283 North to Interstate 83 North to Interstate 81 South to Rt 322 West

2) Turnpike (Interstate 76 West) to Interstate 283 North (then follow the above instructions)

Alternatively, you could take Interstate 283 North to Interstate 83 South and either:

Cut through Harrisburg (2nd St to Cameroon St to 322 West) Once on 83 South put the PA Farm Show into your GPS and go straight at the Farm Show.

OR:
Stay on 83 South and cross the river, staying in the right hand lane to make the first exit at Lemoyne. Make a right onto 3rd St and put Wormleysburg into your GPS and you'll quickly find yourself on Rt 15 North.

Route 30 sucks.

Based on a few m/c rides

Not sure where you are coming from in the West Chester Area, but you should be familiar with the Route 202/Route 1 interchange.

202 North (past Route 1), to 926 (Street Road) Turn left onto Route 926
Stay on 926 until it ends
10 south for about 100 yards
Turn right onto 856.
Follow 856, CROSS Route 30 until 856 ends at Smoketown Road.
Left onto Smoketown Road, and follow until Route 30 - NOW get on Route 30 West - you will have avoided all the traffic lights and strip malls on Route 30.
Follow 30 to 283 North
Follow 283 North to 81 South to 322 West
Stay on 322 West until cross the Susquehanna River
Take 11/15 north to Route 104 (left exit)
Stay on 104 to Route 45 - left on Route 45
Take Route 45 directly into State College

Yes, it will take longer, and you to watch out for deer and Amish, but you will avoid traffic - because I guarantee that there will be huge traffic jams on the major roads this weekend - getting into and getting out of State College and the PA Turnpike.

Route 30 Sucks.
I think you meany 896 not 856 but either way for someone not familiar this is a fairly out of the way route to take with a lot of turns and ways to get off track. Scenic I grant you but at night will be a challenge for the OP.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT