ADVERTISEMENT

Best Wishes Tom Ryan

Reports are that he broke both fibulas and tibias, as well as a fractured hip. He has got a long road to recovery if true. My wife had a fractured hip, and it took three months to be able to drive, and that was with two good legs to work and heal the joint through PT. Not sure how he does PT without working legs.

Wish him well.

Reports are that he broke both fibulas and tibias, as well as a fractured hip. He has got a long road to recovery if true. My wife had a fractured hip, and it took three months to be able to drive, and that was with two good legs to work and heal the joint through PT. Not sure how he does PT without working legs.

Wish him well.
Wasn't his car towed from the BJC? They should have kept it in impound.

Wish him well.
I think I can relate to his rehab. I once popped both hamstrings at both ends -- had to have both reattached at the groin and behind the knee. Was bedridden for 3+ months in a right angle cast -- cast from my toes to my hips with a bar cemented between my ankles to keep my legs 90 deg apart and prevent any lower-body motion.

Once his bones are sufficintly healed to start rehab, the first step will be manual range of motion work. Meaning a trainer will forcibly push his legs in various directions to extend his hips, knees, and ankles. There will be a lot of resistance to break through. At keast daily, build to 3x daily as he can take it. That month or so will be rough.

And mentally taxing because he'll be in a wheelchair that whole time. Once the casts come off, it's really hard to remain patient and stay off your feet, and continue to trust the process.

Then they can do the assisted walks, light weight work, and the like, that build him back toward independence.

Two things that will help him: he'll get a ton of in-person support from family and the team, and he'll know Sasso recovered from worse.

I think I can relate to his rehab. I once popped both hamstrings at both ends -- had to have both reattached at the groin and behind the knee. Was bedridden for 3+ months in a right angle cast -- cast from my toes to my hips with a bar cemented between my ankles to keep my legs 90 deg apart and prevent any lower-body motion.

Once his bones are sufficintly healed to start rehab, the first step will be manual range of motion work. Meaning a trainer will forcibly push his legs in various directions to extend his hips, knees, and ankles. There will be a lot of resistance to break through. At keast daily, build to 3x daily as he can take it. That month or so will be rough.

And mentally taxing because he'll be in a wheelchair that whole time. Once the casts come off, it's really hard to remain patient and stay off your feet, and continue to trust the process.

Then they can do the assisted walks, light weight work, and the like, that build him back toward independence.

Two things that will help him: he'll get a ton of in-person support from family and the team, and he'll know Sasso recovered from worse.
Yikes. That sounded like a nasty time in your life. I can't imagine not being able to move out of position. Mentally unnatural.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye

Wish him well.
I bet he wishes he was in Aruba!!

Ninety degrees? Ouch!

Yikes. That sounded like a nasty time in your life. I can't imagine not being able to move out of position. Mentally unnatural.
Worst 2nd grade summer I ever had.

The worst part of the cast wasn't so much that I couldn't move my lower body. It was recurring leg spasms from being straightened and unmoved for so long. The bedpan got old long before 3 months too.

That was nothing compared to the range of motion therapy. It had to be done and I don't regret it now, but at the time I would've jumped in front of a car to avoid it. So much joint stiffness to break through after being in a fixed position for 3+ months.

Not asking for any sympathy, just giving a first-hand account of what Ryan might have to endure. If the accounts of his injuries are accurate, then he'll have to have both legs and a hip immobilized for some period of time.

• Sad
Reactions: creamery freak
Jesus, that program is snakebitten. They started the season with Sasso's shooting, had the most injury issues of any team this year, and end the year with the coach in a terrible accident.

Wishing him a full and speedy recovery.

Reactions: Ja1339
Ninety degrees? Ouch!
After a while that wasn't so bad. You kinda adjust and relax into position. Well, except when the spasms came.

One positive about that 90 deg fixed position: it removed all temptation to get out of bed and possibly cause more damage. Between the bar constraints and the extra weight of the cast, it's impossible to hobble on your heels like that for more than a couple steps, and how are you getting up if you fall, so why bother?

Have a friend in San Diego who is a top level cyclist, especially in the time trial events. One day, he was training on a road in Rancho Santa Fe and a pickup truck ran a stop sign so he hit it head on at maybe 25 - 30 mph. He flew across the hood and fractured both legs. They rushed him to the ER and the hospital did a CT scan to see if any internal organs were ruptured. The scans came out OK, but the doctor told him he saw a spot on his kidney that he might want to get checked. My friend had it biopsied and it was cancer. Kidney cancer is deadly and you don't have any symptoms until it's too late. As soon as it was possible, my friend went in for surgery and had part of his kidney removed. In a very strange way, that collision with the pickup saved his life!

The worst part of the cast wasn't so much that I couldn't move my lower body. It was recurring leg spasms from being straightened and unmoved for so long. The bedpan got old long before 3 months too.

That was nothing compared to the range of motion therapy. It had to be done and I don't regret it now, but at the time I would've jumped in front of a car to avoid it. So much joint stiffness to break through after being in a fixed position for 3+ months.

Not asking for any sympathy, just giving a first-hand account of what Ryan might have to endure. If the accounts of his injuries are accurate, then he'll have to have both legs and a hip immobilized for some period of time.
I get it. I own a home health care company and we provide massage therapy for some of our clients so that the muscles don't freeze into certain curled positions. The pain when it does is excruciating. Takes lots of time to work that out.

Have a friend in San Diego who is a top level cyclist, especially in the time trial events. One day, he was training on a road in Rancho Santa Fe and a pickup truck ran a stop sign so he hit it head on at maybe 25 - 30 mph. He flew across the hood and fractured both legs. They rushed him to the ER and the hospital did a CT scan to see if any internal organs were ruptured. The scans came out OK, but the doctor told him he saw a spot on his kidney that he might want to get checked. My friend had it biopsied and it was cancer. Kidney cancer is deadly and you don't have any symptoms until it's too late. As soon as it was possible, my friend went in for surgery and had part of his kidney removed. In a very strange way, that collision with the pickup saved his life!
That’s the same way Michael Scott saved Meredith’s life when the doctors discovered she had rabies. 😀

Reactions: Chris Watts
I've heard several such stories like that recently.

So sorry to hear this. Wishing Coach Ryan a speedy recovery! Has to help that he is in good shape and has a great team of people helping him to rehab.

For all the crap thrown his way (some deserved, some not so much) he is a really good coach and great recruiter. And as stated above he recruits and leads high quality young men. He runs a good program. Lots of tough breaks (no pun intended) this season for the Buckeyes.

Wish him well.
I’m going to assume with those injuries that an airbag probably saved his life - lower body got hammered, but upper body saved

It takes something like this to realize wrestling is just game. Here’s to a quick recovery, Tom.

Muscle spasms are the worst! I once had one of my sartorius muscles start spasming and no matter what position I placed my leg in it would not stop. I was in bed at the time and by the time it finally stopped spasming I was on the floor
writhing in pain, hyperventilating and sweating. No fun! Last year I also had a months-long issue in the muscles behind my left shoulder/upper trapezius area. I assume I had damaged the nerves when I fell out of a commercial dumpster, landing on that area (long story!).

These spasms came and went at a regular basis for two months or so. None of the tests I had ever diagnosed the issue. One morning when I woke up the muscles started spasming severely and wouldn't stop. It took almost an hour for the spasms to stop. Brutally painful. Well, enough of my Organ Recital! Just know I can empathize with what you went through.

Muscle spasms are the worst! I once had one of my sartorius muscles start spasming and no matter what position I placed my leg in it would not stop. I was in bed at the time and by the time it finally stopped spasming I was on the floor
writhing in pain, hyperventilating and sweating. No fun! Last year I also had a months-long issue in the muscles behind my left shoulder/upper trapezius area. I assume I had damaged the nerves when I fell out of a commercial dumpster, landing on that area (long story!).

These spasms came and went at a regular basis for two months or so. None of the tests I had ever diagnosed the issue. One morning when I woke up the muscles started spasming severely and wouldn't stop. It took almost an hour for the spasms to stop. Brutally painful. Well, enough of my Organ Recital! Just know I can empathize with what you went through.
fell out of a dumpster eh? You know you can be honest with us. We won't judge you based on your homelessness. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Psalm 1 guy

My wife has a nasty autoimmune disease (ankylosing spondylitis), and she often has the nighttime spasms that literally make her fall out of bed in severe pain. Completely random events but they make for long nights.

• Sad
Reactions: Psalm 1 guy
hope he wasn't texting :)
Seriously, never wish any harm on anyone and he appears to be a God fearing man so we can pray for a speedy and healthy recovery!

• Sad
Reactions: fronk71
Sports and fan passion for our own teams and coaches is miniscule when you hear about something life changing like Tom Ryan's tragic accident. I've always thought the OSU'S wrestlers acted with class, on and off the mat. Praying for Tom's healing.

I enjoyed my career as a police officer, but the thought of working highway patrol never had any appeal to me. I would have found it monotonous compared to the variety of calls I experienced on a daily basis as a beat officer. Also, knowing now what I do about the cumulative effects of being exposed to traumatic scenes, being exposed on a regular basis to the carnage from high speed collisions would take its toll. I found it much less stressful to see a homicide victim than see what happens to a human body involved in a high speed collision.

I am thankful Tom Ryan survived that collision. He is in my prayers.

Last edited:
I enjoyed my career as a police officer, but the thought of working highway patrol never had any appeal to me. I would have found it monotonous compared to the variety of calls I experienced on a daily basis as a beat officer. Also, knowing now what I do about the accumulative effects of being exposed to traumatic scenes, being exposed on a regular basis to the carnage from high speed collisions would take its toll. I found it much less stressful to see a homicide victim than see what happens to a human body involved in a high speed collision.

I am thankful Tom Ryan survived that collision. He is in my prayers.
Were you by any chance involved with the cleanup operation after the PSA flight went down in North Park? I heard some guys on the SDPD had a pretty rough time dealing with the after effects from what they saw.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT