ADVERTISEMENT

Big Ten Announces 2020-21 Conference Football Schedules

Any trips to Minnehaha? Their stadium and the Rutgres Stadium are the only Big Ten stadiums I have never been to. I need to cross it off my list, and dammit, I am not getting any younger.

Reactions: Bob78
Why do we play Iowa every stinkin' year? It'd be nice to see some other B1G West teams more often.

Why do we play Iowa every stinkin' year? It'd be nice to see some other B1G West teams more often.

The schedules have a 6 year rotation. We play Iowa from 2016-2021 every year, alternating home and away. Starting in 2022, we'll pick up another Big Ten West team to play every year for 6 years (if they stick to trying to pair up "strong" teams like they have said they would do, we should get Wisconsin or Nebraska).

During each 6 year block, we play each of the other 6 Big Ten West teams twice (once home, once away).

Any trips to Minnehaha? Their stadium and the Rutgres Stadium are the only Big Ten stadiums I have never been to. I need to cross it off my list, and dammit, I am not getting any younger.

We play at Minnesota in 2019. Specifically, Nov 9, 2019.

They couldn't help themselves giving us Michigan and OSU back to back, again, in 2021. I looked at 2020 and said "oh, a change in pattern" only to see it the next season.

You must like games on Wednesday, too.

No, not necessarily. But I do like getting additional exposure on the opening weekend when 95% of the teams around the country are playing cupcakes.....

Disappointed to see Big Ten trying to make Rutgers our rival opposed to Maryland. Think Terps have a higher upside with that last game possibly meaning something. Don't see that with Rutgers.

Reactions: psu00
Can someone explain both the logic and benefit of scheduling in-conference games the first week of the season? I can see waiting until week 2 or 3, but week 1?

Perhaps it's just me, but this smells of Barry Alvarez influencing the B1G Schedulers. I couldn't help but notice that Wisky has arranged themselves as a B1G Week 1 "home opener" in 2020 and 2021. How convenient......:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Can someone explain both the logic and benefit of scheduling in-conference games the first week of the season?

I can see waiting until week 2 or 3, but week 1?

Looks like they have scheduled 4 in-conference games for the opening weekends those seasons. My guess is that that was driven by BTN/FSN to get a couple of higher-profile games on the TV schedule right off the bat.
PSU - Wisconsin is the best pairing of the B1G games scheduled for opening weekend. Benefit is possibly to increase viewership for the conference games over Labor Day weekend.

Reactions: Blue & White Lion
Looks like they have scheduled 4 in-conference games for the opening weekends those seasons. My guess is that that was driven by BTN/FSN to get a couple of higher-profile games on the TV schedule right off the bat.
PSU - Wisconsin is the best pairing of the B1G games scheduled for opening weekend. Benefit is possibly to increase viewership for the conference games over Labor Day weekend.
That's what you get when you don't schedule your non-conference games in a timely fashion.

No, not necessarily. But I do like getting additional exposure on the opening weekend when 95% of the teams around the country are playing cupcakes.....

Oops, looks like I misread a "4" as a "1."

Any guesses which two teams will fill out the 2020 schedule and what one team will round out 2021? All will need to be home games to get the seven the AD wants unless a neutral site game is lined up with a payout which meets or exceeds the revenue for a home game.

Disappointed to see Big Ten trying to make Rutgers our rival opposed to Maryland. Think Terps have a higher upside with that last game possibly meaning something. Don't see that with Rutgers.

There are 10 schools with permanent rivalry matchups in the final week. Indiana-Purdue, Ohio State-Michigan, Iowa-Nebraska, Illinois-Northwestern, Minnesota-Wisconsin.

There are 4 schools without a permanent final game. Michigan State, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers. We rotate between the other 3 every two years. Last couple it was MSU. This year and next year its Maryland. 2020-2021 it's Rutgers.

There are 4 schools without a permanent final game. Michigan State, Maryland, Penn State, Rutgers. We rotate between the other 3 every two years. Last couple it was MSU. This year and next year its Maryland. 2020-2021 it's Rutgers.

2019-2021 it's Rutgers. So that's three years, not two.

I'd really rather just continue ending with Michigan State like we were doing. This rotating our last game with RU, MD, MSU is goofy. Maybe we could request to start conference play with MD and end with MSU. Let MD and RU play each other last game and develop a last game rivalry it would be good for both schools.

Actually, it looks like they'll start rotating Minnesota-Wisconsin-Iowa-Nebraska the same way they've already started rotating Penn State-Rutgers-Michigan State-Maryland. Ohio State/Michigan, Illinois/Northwestern, and Indiana/Purdue are remaining season-ending games.

The schedules have a 6 year rotation. We play Iowa from 2016-2021 every year, alternating home and away. Starting in 2022, we'll pick up another Big Ten West team to play every year for 6 years (if they stick to trying to pair up "strong" teams like they have said they would do, we should get Wisconsin or Nebraska).

During each 6 year block, we play each of the other 6 Big Ten West teams twice (once home, once away).
Thanks....

Before last year we hadn't played them since 2012.
I was referring to the current setup which has us playing Iowa six years in a row.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT