ADVERTISEMENT

BOB may be available soon.

He would have an NFL OC job in a nanosecond, if he loses his gig in Houston. He is not coming back to the college ranks.

He's an alpha type. At this stage in his career he'll be a HC in NFL or CFB, or a GM-level guy in NFL, or an announcer. He is done being an assistant anything, imho.

Reactions: PSUriseANDfire
I think he gets canned at years end. They went from 1 win to 9 with him, this year they will win less then 4 games.

Dirty Birds pounding the shit out of FLO and the Texans. Dan Quinn FTW!!! 4-0!!!!!!

He's an alpha type. At this stage in his career he'll be a HC in NFL or CFB, or a GM-level guy in NFL, or an announcer. He is done being an assistant anything, imho.

Announcer, maybe. You have to remember it takes two to tango. Somebody has to hire him, and guys who flop in their debut as HCs don't get hired to do an encore immediately.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
Announcer? I can hear it now. Man those guys are fu$&&@ers. Uhoh. Def. oc is his peak. He will come back to it shortly. Said that when he left.

My prediction has always been that he'll end up back in college in a few years. There is this perception, right or wrong, that he won under impossible conditions because he was so great at coaching. Because of that reputation, he'll be able to command a lot more money as a college HC than as an NFL OC, so that's what he'll do. And then he'll try to leap back to the NFL one more time before he finally burns out and calls it quits.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
No thanks. He was only slightly better than DOonovan and I was tired of his constant leaks to Dave Jones.. There are better options.

Yeah, I was accused of being a JoeBot. Was that a bad thing?

I think he gets canned at years end. They went from 1 win to 9 with him, this year they will win less then 4 games.
It just goes to show you how important a franchise QB is in the NFL. OB passed on a QB with the #1 pick and is now stuck in purgatory.

He has a dinged up DE who will never approach his physical potential coming in.

You can debate whether Bortles will turn into a great NFL QB, but at least there's a chance for him to become serviceable, ala Derek Carr or Ryan Tennehill.

Reactions: royboy
When Josh McDaniel went to Denver they promoted BOB to OC @ NE. Please take a careful look at his resume. He is a college football lifetime asst, coach. In addition the programs he worked for were not elite by any means. Those who label him an offensive genius are basing it on what he did at NE? Brady and Belichick won super bowls before him and after him. He went to the super bowl as OC@ NE and lost. He did not invent or improve Brady, nor did he bring NE or Brady to any level they had not previously or since achieved. When Josh McDaniel was fired at Denver, BOB was in the last year of his deal at NE and JM was returning to the OC position in 2012. BOB was a good soldier at NE and everyone there said good things about him as he looked for a new job. Joyner and Ira Lubert had screwed up the search, well they fuc##d it up like the trustees did everything that year. Not a single accomplished college coach wanted to touch the PSU job with a ten foot pole. With NE in the super bowl, all good NFL jobs would not wait for him. Enter Jaws, who alerted Lubert, the kingmaker in the AD to BOB's availability. It was a match made in heaven.Hell people were ready to lynch Judas Joyner in Dallas at the ticket city bowl. BOB is a solid football guy and will always have a job somewhere. An offensive genius? Maybe with Brady, Welker and co. He knew what the future looked like when he left here.

Awww! Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. IMO, he's not cut out for the college game - has no interest in recruiting. He's the next Charlie Weis without the HC job in college.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder how many more NE assistant coaches NFL owners will fall in love with?

It just goes to show you how important a franchise QB is in the NFL. OB passed on a QB with the #1 pick and is now stuck in purgatory.

He has a dinged up DE who will never approach his physical potential coming in.

You can debate whether Bortles will turn into a great NFL QB, but at least there's a chance for him to become serviceable, ala Derek Carr or Ryan Tennehill.

Bortles is horrible.. Carr is going to be a star.

The love Bortles gets on here is funny.

I agree, but Bortles had alot of question marks coming out of the combine and those are actual facts now. He isn't the gifted passer everyone thought he would be. His throwing accuarcy at the combine was bad.

No way Houston was drafting a Carr.

Its impossible to get a big name QB in FA. I think they should have re-signed Fitzpatrick. They won 9 games with him.

Reactions: bison13
Thinking about it they may be bale to trade for a QB. STL got Foles in a trade. Word is NO is going to try to unload Brees, so it depends on what they will need to give up and $$$.

I think Bob is a very good offensive coach. But I don't see him as a HC in college because I don't think he like to recruit. And without a stud QB I don't think he makes it in the NFL. If he gets a third year in Houston, which I think he will, and drafts a top rated QB then he will do much better.
But let's be real...he never wanted to be at PSU. So I would never want him back.

It's four games into his second year. You guys make George Steinbrenner's zombie look patient.

NFL Coaching Years aren't like regular years - a year and a half as a coach is worth nearly double in the regular world. His time to make an impact is limited IMO. If there isn't improvement after year three he's gone IMO.

Reactions: mn78psu83
NFL Coaching Years aren't like regular years - a year and a half as a coach is worth nearly double in the regular world. His time to make an impact is limited IMO. If there isn't improvement after year three he's gone IMO.
Yeah, it's not always fair. However, Gms and owners have to think about keeping fans excited and if a coach goes 3 years without the playoffs he's probably gone. OB was a good coach. I dot think there is any such thing as a genius in coaching. Maybe a genius motivator, but not a genius Xs and Os guy. I don't think coaching is all that complex. As Wittingham said after Utah beat Michigan at the beginning of the year, 80% of coaching success is based on the players you have. I think that goes for any level of play. The Texans don't have that many good players so OB won't win very many games.

Reactions: mn78psu83
I was just at NFL.com. One the headlines:

Watt: Texans 'pitiful' in blowout loss | Mallett benched for Hoyer

That says it all.

I was just at NFL.com. One the headlines:

Watt: Texans 'pitiful' in blowout loss | Mallett benched for Hoyer

That says it all.

And Hoyer came in and threw 4 TD passes I believe.. I always thought Hoyer gave them the best chance to win out of what they have. Wonder if BOB played Mallet cause of the NE Connection?

And Hoyer came in and threw 4 TD passes I believe.. I always thought Hoyer gave them the best chance to win out of what they have. Wonder if BOB played Mallet cause of the NE Connection?
He pulled Hoyer after the first game of the year. Today Mallet had a QB rating of 46.8. Hoyer had 2 TD passes today.

Maybe he can replace Donovan. Just not a good NFL Coach.
He fell on the sword today.

"Terrible. It starts with me. Terrible coaching," said Texans coach Bill O'Brien after Houston tumbled to 1-3 on the year. "We gotta do a better job. ... I'm disappointed in me as a head coach. That's what I'm disappointed in because I don't think I did a good job today. To go out there and perform like that? That's on the head coach."

Penn State is blessed to have Franklin. You do not want a coach who is constantly looking for an NFL opening. His choice of DC was questionable to say the least. Loss to Ohio at home and other losses with poor decision making. There is plenty to pick!

He is waiting to draft Hack then all will be well!

cannot believe that was ever on his mind. he needed to get a QB in the first draft - could have had Bortles. instead he picks a wonder hype who has been hurt more than he plays....just like when the guy was at USC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT