ADVERTISEMENT

Booing at the game

I think the booing is totally justified. It should be aimed squarely at Franklin. He is way overpaid and should hear it from the fan base especially after that piss poor product he put out on the field Saturday. Any of you who don't like it then don't go to the game.

Kraft needs to light a fire under this guy and start setting some KPIs for him to hit. Start with beating Mich or OSU at better than a 1 in 5 clip. What a nightmare he is in every big game we have. We are a complete laughingstock because this guy is the polar opposite of a coach who rises to the occasion and gets his team to perform its best on the biggest stages. We shrink on the biggest stages.

my brother had an interesting point when we talked after the game. He said that CJF had "lost the fans". His point was that the crowd was booing the team mercilessly in the 4th qtr. First, I'll never understand booing college kids but things have changed. Regardless, I think they were booing the staff more than the kids.

I also read that fans where viciously heckling CJF in the tunnel as he came of the field. The writer said that they've never seen a PSU fan base heckle a coach like they were CJF after the game Saturday.

I wasn't at the game. Anyone have any thoughts?

I guess that is more fodder for the thought pattern that CJF did this to scapegoat someone other than himself.
FWIW, I was in the west upper deck, near the visitor section and could not hear the stadium booing (even at the end).

Was watching on tv….there was a lot of booing. TV announcers mentioned it a couple times. What seemed to happen was after a play half the people would start booing….and then the other half would cheer as if trying to drown out the boo birds.

And it was more likely booing the play selection….which means booing the coaches. They didn’t boo when a normal play went bad. They booed stupid play calls.
I’m telling you there really was not much booing there. If you want to hear actual booing, go to an Eagles game or a Giants game!

Last edited:
I still can’t get past….

“Points were at a premium. The staff got together and talked, and it was decided points were at a premium. “ Lol. Stupidest thing I’ve ever heard. No kidding.
Not the dumbest thing I've heard but I still don't agree. I'd say smart, mistake free football was at a premium and that includes players and coaches. Two point conversion chasing points early in a game, punting when you are only down one score - those are mistakes no different than turnovers.

I see guys at the games in September and October, when it is still warm, walking around carrying two 16 ounce cans of beer. That beer is warm before they finish the 1st can. Do people get that desperate for alcohol ? I figure those same people have been drinking before the game, too. I usually have a couple pre-game and can manage to make it through the next 4 hours without a beer.
and add to my annoyance factor with the constant up and down either getting more beer or going to the can.

Fans spend a couple hundred $million on PSU football each year. For that amount they expect a good show.
Except whatever you spend on tickets, travel, etc. guarantees you nothing. You aren't owed anything other than a ticket. It could be a 12-0 season or 7-5. That's your risk. If you don't want to pay, guess what there are plenty of people waiting in line behind you.

my brother had an interesting point when we talked after the game. He said that CJF had "lost the fans". His point was that the crowd was booing the team mercilessly in the 4th qtr. First, I'll never understand booing college kids but things have changed. Regardless, I think they were booing the staff more than the kids.

I also read that fans where viciously heckling CJF in the tunnel as he came of the field. The writer said that they've never seen a PSU fan base heckle a coach like they were CJF after the game Saturday.

I guess that is more fodder for the thought pattern that CJF did this to scapegoat someone other than himself.
I was watching on tv and people were booing...not the players but the plays. It sure seemed as if the OC had either no confidence in the offense or delusions of grandeur. Going for it on 4th down and 6 on our 30 yard line with 4:30 in the game brought a bunch of "what the hell are you thinking" comments and the ill fated 2 point conversion with 2 minutes left ...what can you say.

Players run the plays they are given...we seem to clam up during these big games.

The booing came across loud and clear on tv....not booing the players imo but the calls/coaching

I don't know why Franklin has such a hard time saying "I made a mistake"...everybody does it, he's no exception

As long as the fans fill the seats that won't be an issue
Because this shows no signs of stopping, I think the commitment to winning is under no pressure to improve. The only way the fans stop showing up for the weekly party in the fall is if they make it even more difficult to throw a tailgate party.

New alumni are born every year, young people with enough means to make it back to Childhood's Gate for another go at getting tuned up on game day. They're going to be here whether the team is 9-3 or 7-5 or 3-9. That's something PSU will always have going for it.

It's the older fans who are getting fed up, and we don't matter because our days are short. See paragraph 2.

Paying fans can boo if they want
When you're paying for a product if the result is unsatisfactory you can let that be known
I'm not a "booer" but I get why people would especially after some of the decisions made on Saturday

Reactions: ram2020
When fans are disappointed with the product on the field, they can either express their disappointment or not show up. Take your pick.

Reactions: psu00 and ram2020
I was at the game. There was some booing. There was far more rabid cheering. The place was LOUD when Michigan was on offense. Crazy loud.

I witnessed two different groups of Michigan fans remarking amongst themselves about the crowd noise. One said way louder than the Horseshoe.

The booing mostly occurred when there were non-sensible play calls. Unlike last year when boos could he heard when the starting QB was named at lineup introductions.

Pretty sure every major program hears boos when not performing to its full potential.

Last edited:

Did you forget about this incident?

5 years later and we are no further ahead, so is frustration really surprising?

I sharply disagree.

CJF has shown pretty steady improvement if you take out the COVID year. I think the team has more talent than any I've seen since the 90s when you take into consideration all 22 positions. The offense over the years has been great under CJF. The defense has been great under CJF. We saw the Defense really improve with the right DC. Why not the offense.

I'll also add that I like the continuity at coach. Firing CJF, a guy who has really improved the program since the horror of the post Sandusky era and has been a great steward of the program. We are close. I think it would be crazy to blow it up at this point. Finally, I think we are struggling to understand how to use a pocket passer. We need to correct that, or bench Allar.
The “horror” of the “ Sandusky era” was created by weak fools who hired Franklin.

Michigan has done some real cheating (and real molesting). But they are not giving an inch - to the Big10, to the NCAA, or anyone else.

It's the older fans who are getting fed up, and we don't matter because our days are short. See paragraph 2.

Not just older fans. I saw an article where they were apparently chanting ‘Fire Franklin!’ in the student section. Frustration has no age limit.

Not the dumbest thing I've heard but I still don't agree. I'd say smart, mistake free football was at a premium and that includes players and coaches. Two point conversion chasing points early in a game, punting when you are only down one score - those are mistakes no different than turnovers.
Then add to the turnover number and label them as intentional. Hard enough to win when you lose the turnover battle, let alone when you do them intentionally.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT