ADVERTISEMENT

Breakdown of WVU Garrett Greene

CaliLION79

Sep 27, 2020
WVU GREENE FILM STUDY

See link above. Advanced Stats/Film Study hybrid. The interesting thing with Greene is that he's 180 from the types of QB's the WVU coach had at Troy and has had at WVU. Big Game Hunter, "Just chuck it deep" kind of guy with a low completion percentage....but that style of play essentially saved Brown's job last year. It'll be interesting how much Greene or the coaching staff tries to mess with that.

WVU GREENE FILM STUDY

See link above. Advanced Stats/Film Study hybrid. The interesting thing with Greene is that he's 180 from the types of QB's the WVU coach had at Troy and has had at WVU. Big Game Hunter, "Just chuck it deep" kind of guy with a low completion percentage....but that style of play essentially saved Brown's job last year. It'll be interesting how much Greene or the coaching staff tries to mess with that.
My concern is that PSU will often apply pressure with an all out pass rush from Carter & Sutton combined with a blitz from a LB or DB. That's what PSU does in an attempt to create explosive plays. Greene is really good at side stepping the pressure and finding vacated areas to throw or run. Keep in mind Greene rushed for more yards than Singleton last year.

I'd like our DEs to seal the edge and make sure we have a LB or safety in the middle of the field to prevent Greene from getting loose for a big gain. But that's not how PSU typically plays.

FWIW WVa didn't turn the ball over at PSU last year. That's a testament to how elusive Greene can be.

My concern is that PSU will often apply pressure with an all out pass rush from Carter & Sutton combined with a blitz from a LB or DB. That's what PSU does in an attempt to create explosive plays. Greene is really good at side stepping the pressure and finding vacated areas to throw or run. Keep in mind Greene rushed for more yards than Singleton last year.

I'd like our DEs to seal the edge and make sure we have a LB or safety in the middle of the field to prevent Greene from getting loose for a big gain. But that's not how PSU typically plays.

FWIW WVa didn't turn the ball over at PSU last year. That's a testament to how elusive Greene can be.
It seems like Rojas will have to be the defender that keeps Green from scrambling on the plays where the PSU DE's apply pressure but don't get green on the ground. King as well for scrambles up the middle, but I expect the Green scrambles to go outside for the most part given the experience and talent of the PSU DT's.

Gentlemen: Athletic safeties that can tackle are your friends. I think coach Allen has got this. Of course .... time, will tell! It won't be long till all the speculators here start to get some answers.

It sounds like he's a running threat like Taulia Tagovailoa from MD and we handled him pretty well over the years. Only a 52% completion record last year.

I'm more concerned with how coach K and Tom Allen are going to perform than Garrett Greene.

Fun video. My only issue is they didn't use any footage from our game with them to illustrate any points they wanted made.

I get it. He improved as the year went on. The defenses they faced got DRASTICALLY worse after they played us as well. We could have went 11-1 or 12-0 playing their schedule (Oklahoma) and it still wouldn't have changed how we played OSU or Michigan.

Reactions: Obliviax
It sounds like he's a running threat like Taulia Tagovailoa from MD and we handled him pretty well over the years. Only a 52% completion record last year.

I'm more concerned with how coach K and Tom Allen are going to perform than Garrett Greene.
Agree. We've got the D. The key to containing a QB like that is discipline at the LB and S positions. I expect a good game.

Reactions: lazydave841

Garrett really isn't anything at all like Taulia.

He's more fast twitch, and at times way too hyper (first half last year at Penn State being a good example). I almost hate using this comparison because I can't stand the kid, but he's more like Johnny Manziel. One thing Garrett learned to do as the year waned on was to distribute and not try to do everything on his own.

Agree. We've got the D. The key to containing a QB like that is discipline at the LB and S positions. I expect a good game.
I could be wrong but I think it's going to be much closer game than most people think. I think PSU wins it in the 4th quarter with a late field goal and then holds on by the skin of their scrotum down the stretch. What most people don't talk much about is the kicking game and I haven't heard much about how ours looked in fall camp. Kicking game could be the difference in this one.

Reactions: Obliviax
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT