ADVERTISEMENT

Brief BTN review of CJF

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
with DiNardo...pretty accurate, IMHO, (so far as we've seen with the new-ish coach):

James Franklin already has a pair of top 25 recruiting classes signed since he became head coach at Penn State, and his 2016 effort could end up in the nation's top 10.

But in their first season on the field under the direction of Franklin, the Nittany Lions lost six games, leading some to wonder if Franklin is better off the field than on it.

Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo -- the former Indiana and LSU coach who also, like Franklin, once coached at Vanderbilt -- told PennLive.com that is unfair.

"I watch him in practice, he's very involved in every aspect," DiNardo said. "He's very much involved in the X's and O's. It's unfair for certain people to characterize him as a great recruiter and not potentially a great coach at Penn State because he knows the game and has a terrific staff."

Of course a limited roster contributed to Franklin's results, but the previous two seasons with similar constraints saw Penn State go 15-9 under Bill O'Brien.

Still, DiNardo sees better days ahead based on Franklin's success at Vanderbilt.

"Long term, they're going to be in the hunt almost every year, if not every year, once James Franklin has established himself," DiNardo said. "I think it's fair, when you look at the Big Ten East, you have to give a new coach four or five years to compete for a championship. I think that's where Penn State's headed."

Reactions: ChiTownLion
The criticism by some of Franklin's first season never makes sense. Apparently he was expected to step in and win every game.

In my case, its not criticism but suspicion. First, we only have one year. And second, it was under duress and pressure caused by the JS situation.

Having said that, I was somewhat alarmed at a lack of fundamentals. Missed assignments, poor technique, etc. This can be youth, pressure, new system....but it can also be poor coaching. We'll see what it was by the middle of this fall.

Not a criticism but an observation....

We'll see what it was by the middle of this fall.

I agree, there were some issues that couldn't be attributed to inexperience or lack of depth. There were a lot of issues that can be attributed to inexperience and lack of depth, however. I'm hoping that the former issues were just not adjusting to the new system and will be behind us this season. I still think we will experience some of the lack of depth issues, specifically in the OL.

I have seen nothing that would make me doubt CJF as having the ability to be a good coach (in addition to being an amazing recruiter). Consider how well he's recruited without 10 win seasons... when he gets the program back to that level, then PSU will again be the beast of the east.

In my case, its not criticism but suspicion. First, we only have one year. And second, it was under duress and pressure caused by the JS situation.

Having said that, I was somewhat alarmed at a lack of fundamentals. Missed assignments, poor technique, etc. This can be youth, pressure, new system....but it can also be poor coaching. We'll see what it was by the middle of this fall.

Not a criticism but an observation....

I guarantee you didn't see too many missed assignments on the defensive side of the ball. Franklin and Shoop took a below average defense and turned it into one of the best defenses in country in their first year.

People like to give Franklin blame for the offense but no credit for how outstanding the defense was.

The OL depth was likely the difference b/w last year being 7-6 and 9-4 at worst. Consider how close the losses were to Michigan, Maryland and Illinois. These are all 1 score games where the latter 2 being decided on the final play.

If PSU pulls out all 3 of these (and even an average OL probably equates to such an end), Franklin is at 10 wins in year 1 and a coach of the year candidate.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
with DiNardo...pretty accurate, IMHO, (so far as we've seen with the new-ish coach):

James Franklin already has a pair of top 25 recruiting classes signed since he became head coach at Penn State, and his 2016 effort could end up in the nation's top 10.

But in their first season on the field under the direction of Franklin, the Nittany Lions lost six games, leading some to wonder if Franklin is better off the field than on it.

Big Ten Network analyst Gerry DiNardo -- the former Indiana and LSU coach who also, like Franklin, once coached at Vanderbilt -- told PennLive.com that is unfair.

"I watch him in practice, he's very involved in every aspect," DiNardo said. "He's very much involved in the X's and O's. It's unfair for certain people to characterize him as a great recruiter and not potentially a great coach at Penn State because he knows the game and has a terrific staff."

Of course a limited roster contributed to Franklin's results, but the previous two seasons with similar constraints saw Penn State go 15-9 under Bill O'Brien.

Still, DiNardo sees better days ahead based on Franklin's success at Vanderbilt.

"Long term, they're going to be in the hunt almost every year, if not every year, once James Franklin has established himself," DiNardo said. "I think it's fair, when you look at the Big Ten East, you have to give a new coach four or five years to compete for a championship. I think that's where Penn State's headed."

"Of course a limited roster contributed to Franklin's results, but the previous two seasons with similar constraints saw Penn State go 15-9 under Bill O'Brien."

Not sure who the author was.....but whoever it was, was just being lazy.

The 2014 roster was MUCH more "lacking" in experience throughout the depth chart than the 2012 team was.
Now, those teams (2012 and 2013) CERTAINLY had HUGE challenges and handicaps. 2012 with an incredible lack of offensive playmakers - along with the overwhelming aspect of dealing with the "fresh wounds" of the NCAA penalties (wounds that had at least partially healed by 2014).
Both the 2012 and 2013 squads also had to deal with incredibly thin rosters in the defensive backfield.....and significantly fewer overall numbers than everyone they played against. It was a huge uphill battle.....no doubt.

As far as roster is concerned though, the 2014 squad was much more depleted of experience (in college ball, the number of 3rd 4th 5th year guys is probably even more important than the "total" number of guys on the roster). Anyone who looked at the penalties of the "CD" knew that it was going to get worse as we moved along from 2012 to 2013 to 2014 to 2015 etc......

With the rollback of the scholarship reductions, a "rebuild" that would have taken until 2020 (at least) is now likely to be accelerated to 2016/2017 time frame.....and from here forward, the potential for the team to compete without both hands tied behind their back should improve significantly.

2015 should be somewhat better than the 2012/2013/2014 situation.....but still quite a ways from a completely fair fight.

Critics of CJF's coaching abilities seem to miss the fact that Urban and Nick and every other coach in the world makes mistakes every game. They usually have enough talent on the field so that no one remembers most of them. Our staff and players had zero margin for error last season.

The OL depth was likely the difference b/w last year being 7-6 and 9-4 at worst. Consider how close the losses were to Michigan, Maryland and Illinois. These are all 1 score games where the latter 2 being decided on the final play.

If PSU pulls out all 3 of these (and even an average OL probably equates to such an end), Franklin is at 10 wins in year 1 and a coach of the year candidate.

That's an optimistic viewpoint but remember that PSU also pulled out last minute wins over UCF and BC. If Ficken misses the FG against UCF we finish 5-7 and don't get a bowl game.

Another way to look at things is that we fumbled a KO vs. Maryland that probably cost us a game and we failed to field a KO vs. Illinois that probably cost us a game.

Regarding Franklin... I think he and the staff made a few coaching blunders during his first year:
  • Decision to run 3 times and punt to Maryland from deep in our own end was pretty bad IMO. We didn't have a running game and MD had the best kicker in the conference.
  • Decision to fake punt vs. Michigan on 4th and 12.
  • Decision to punt rather than go for it on 4th and 1 foot vs. Illinois (not as bad as previous two calls)
  • Failing to tell KO return team to move up when Illinois was kicking into a heavy wind.
  • I also think that the staff could have done a better job trying to get Hack some quick developing plays (give the shape of our OL).
On the other hand Franklin certainly looked like a genius for moving Zettel to DT. I thought he would be too small. Let's see what happens this year. It's unfair to rate Franklin after just one year on the job. I'm still optimistic that he can grow into a top notch coach.

Reactions: ACGT and BBrown

Not to mention a probable signature win over Ohio State. That brings us to 11 wins, although it would also draw a more formidable bowl game opponent. Granted, we also won a few games that could have gone the other way, but very much looking forward to the 2015 season.

That's an optimistic viewpoint but remember that PSU also pulled out last minute wins over UCF and BC. If Ficken misses the FG against UCF we finish 5-7 and don't get a bowl game.

Another way to look at things is that we fumbled a KO vs. Maryland that probably cost us a game and we failed to field a KO vs. Illinois that probably cost us a game.

Regarding Franklin... I think he and the staff made a few coaching blunders during his first year:
  • Decision to run 3 times and punt to Maryland from deep in our own end was pretty bad IMO. We didn't have a running game and MD had the best kicker in the conference.
  • Decision to punt rather than go for it on 4th and 1 foot vs. Illinois (not as bad as previous two calls)
  • Failing to tell KO return team to move up when Illinois was kicking into a heavy wind.
  • I also think that the staff could have done a better job trying to get Hack some quick developing plays (give the shape of our OL).
On the other hand Franklin certainly looked like a genius for moving Zettel to DT. I thought he would be too small. Let's see what happens this year. It's unfair to rate Franklin after just one year on the job. I'm still optimistic that he can grow into a top notch coach.

I think those are some pretty fair critiques bdgan.

There certainly were some "WTF?" moments last year......along with some very positive results.

I do hope that - as the roster situation improves - we will also see fewer of those "WTF?"s No staff is ever going to have a "perfect season"....or even a perfect game....but the fact that this group does seem to be both fairly introspective, and hardworking/energetic, should (I think) be a good indicator that they WILL strive to continually improve.

Anyone paying attention with a functioning brain knows that the sanctions' impact are/were progressive. The transfer rule hurt the 12 and 13 teams much more than the scholarship limitations did, but not nearly as much as the cumulative effects of all the sanctions impacted the 2014 team, and it's not even close. Comparing the situations faced by CJF and OB is apples and oranges. Bill had a lot more talent ready to play in his first year, than James has even in his second. People who are questioning Franklin's coaching ability are doing so from a warped perspective. Anyone who doesn't still give him the benefit of the doubt this year is stupid, imo. I'm optimistic, but in reality, Franklin is still operating with severe limitations created by the sanctions. Objectively, 2017 is the first year that we will be competing on a level playing field with 4 non-sanction limited recruiting classes, and that's even being generous, because the 2014 class, which wlll be seniors in 2017 was still impacted by sanctions since they weren't lifted until after much of the work to get that class was already done and Franklin had to come in and add a lot of kids late. In retrospect, the 2017 senior class (2014 recruiting class) is looking like it will go down as a brilliant job by Franklin (OB gets some credit too) considering the potential of some of those guys, especially the late additions (McSorley, Campbell, Haley, Brown, Amani, Farmer, Sorrell, Brosnan)

Agree all we needed was 1 more 1st down at the end against MD and thats a win. I'll also add the punting and kick returns added directly to the losses at Illinois and MD.

If the O-line improves from bad (last year) to below avg. this year it could mean another 2 wins.
Cautiously optimistic.

>>Failing to tell KO return team to move up when Illinois was kicking into a heavy wind.<<

I put this directly on the coaching staff. I was not a big fan of Haley returning kicks last year but Jack Ham pointed out in the radio
broadcast that they were too far back and the staff should have them move up. Someone besides Jack should have noticed that.

Not to mention Zwinak going down at the beginning of the UCF game. People don't realize how important he was to that team, both running and blocking. He was a HUGE loss considering how porous the OL was.

Reactions: bdgan
The criticism by some of Franklin's first season never makes sense. Apparently he was expected to step in and win every game.

FLO left him with a completely depleted roster at some critical positions and also left his incoming recruiting class in a complete shambles given his handling of his exit, including firing coaches when he knew he was leaving putting the entire program in disarray when he surprised announced that he was leaving for greener pastures (including lying to his team & recruits only days earlier & telling them the DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE) and slunk off in the dead of night like the Grinch.

CJF did an incredible job just keeping this team competitive - people want to forget that CJF out-coaches & out-played UM & the supposed "national champions" and beat them fair & square except for the big turd's disgraceful and blatant cheating.

Reactions: Judge Smails
FLO left him with a completely depleted roster at some critical positions and also left his incoming recruiting class in a complete shambles given his handling of his exit, including firing coaches when he knew he was leaving putting the entire program in disarray when he surprised announced that he was leaving for greener pastures (including lying to his team & recruits only days earlier & telling them the DIAMETRIC OPPOSITE) and slunk off in the dead of night like the Grinch.

CJF did an incredible job just keeping this team competitive - people want to forget that CJF out-coaches & out-played UM & the supposed "national champions" and beat them fair & square except for the big turd's disgraceful and blatant cheating.

The calls against OSU were atrocious. We always sound like poor sports when we complain about the officiating but those two were inexcusable. That's the only time EVER that an instant replay feed was missing even though the replay was available on TV and the stadium scoreboard. I also can't remember a play clock violation that was missed by 4 seconds. I'm not a conspiracy guy but that was the worst.

Reactions: mickey_PSU
The calls against OSU were atrocious. We always sound like poor sports when we complain about the officiating but those two were inexcusable. That's the only time EVER that an instant replay feed was missing even though the replay was available on TV and the stadium scoreboard. I also can't remember a play clock violation that was missed by 4 seconds. I'm not a conspiracy guy but that was the worst.

The completely made up and ficticous "leaping" Personal Foul 15-Yard Penalty on Hull in OT which gave tO$U a 10 Yard field instead of 25 Yard field in 2nd OT was equally egregious and corrupt as the prior 2 during regulation....amazing how 100% of these beyond egregiously bad obviously corrupt calls all worked to the massive disadvantage of one team, but it all supposedly "evens out" according to the corrupt and bush-league traditional big turder's - go figure!?!?

The completely made up and ficticous "leaping" Personal Foul 15-Yard Penalty on Hull in OT which gave tO$U a 10 Yard field instead of 25 Yard field in 2nd OT was equally egregious and corrupt as the prior 2 during regulation....amazing how 100% of these beyond egregiously bad obviously corrupt calls all worked to the massive disadvantage of one team, but it all supposedly "evens out" according to the corrupt and bush-league traditional big turder's - go figure!?!?

I forgot about that one. On the other side do you remember the favorable pass interference call we got that allowed us to beat Minnesota a few years ago? I think PSU get's it's share of favorable calls. They just haven't come against Michigan or OSU.

There is talent galore on this team. Witness phil Steele's BIG unit rankings for state:
DL: 3
LBers: 3
DBs: 3
WRs: 1
QB : 3 ( Hackenberg behind OSU 3-headed monster and Cook.....all excellent college QBs)
TEs : 1 (my ranking; Steele lumps them in with WRs)
10-2 with a really good offensive staff this year based on this relatively easy schedule ( no Nebraska, Minny, Wiscy)

I don't think you can over emphasize the offensive line's impact on last season. We were playing with 7 lineman last year; Donovan Smith played most of the season with injuries that, but for the situation, would have put him on the sidelines; Dowrey had a wrist injury that severely limited his ability to contribute; both Dowrey and Gaia were converted defensive lineman with little experience (at the collegiate level) on the offensive line; Mahon and Nelson were freshman- something you rarely see on a starting college offensive line and, on top of all that, they had to learn a new system with coaches they were unfamiliar with and who were unfamiliar with them. It was a perfect storm and yet these guys gutted it out, worked their backsides off and did improve as the season wore on.

In terms of the offensive coaches coming up with ways for Hack to get the ball quickly to the receivers- go back and watch the games. Hack barely had time to set his feet, even on the quick throws. When he did manage to get the throws off, often the WR ran the wrong route; dropped the ball ; or Hack, after being shell-shocked, simply missed the receiver.

If everyone also recalls, our tight ends under O'Brien were taught to "catch the ball", not block. With the line problems we had, we needed tight ends capable of blocking- it took 3/4 of the season before we started to see some decent blocking out of that position. Losing Breneman for the year didn't help either, he was probably the best blocker at that position.

Again, it was a perfect storm- sanctions, injuries, depth issues, new coaches, inexperience, etc. etc., etc.... some say these things are excuses but I see them as undeniable facts. With the situation, the coaches had to be absolutely perfect. Every mistake was magnified (see the list of really, really bad calls). If everything else was "normal", those errors wouldn't have even been noticed, imo.

Can Frankling coach? I suggest folks look at what he accomplished at Vanderbilt; look at the conference they played in; look at their recruiting classes; and then tell me "the jury is still out"- the jury isn't out, we hired him based on his previous track record and I have little doubt, given a fair chance, he will do great things at Penn State.

QB : 3 ( Hackenberg behind OSU 3-headed monster and Cook.....all excellent college QBs)

This is laughable.

If all 5 graduated at the same time, name one of the other 4 that would be drafted ahead of Hackenberg...

This is laughable.

If all 5 graduated at the same time, name one of the other 4 that would be drafted ahead of Hackenberg...

A good college QB does not necessarily translate into a good NFL QB. Players like Braxton Miller can beat you with his legs at the college level. Not so much in the NFL. Hack is also not as polished as Connor Cook. Hack is rated high by pro scouts because the NFL is looking at his potential.

A good college QB does not necessarily translate into a good NFL QB. Players like Braxton Miller can beat you with his legs at the college level. Not so much in the NFL. Hack is also not as polished as Connor Cook. Hack is rated high by pro scouts because the NFL is looking at his potential.

Exactly. Interestingly, there was a local conversation (sports talk) about the three tOSU QB's. One guy said he talked to a scout/talent evaluator for the NFL who said that Cardel Jones might possibly be third string for tOSU and end up being a first round pick in the NFL. His point was that Jones' skill set is more suited for the NFL than college. He also went on to say that Jones' run through Wisky, 'Bama and Oregon was partly because those teams did not prepare for him properly.

That game works both ways because there were close games he won too. You could argue that PSU was also about 3 plays away from being 4-7 with wins over Buffalo, Temple, Akron, and UMass.

Exactly. Interestingly, there was a local conversation (sports talk) about the three tOSU QB's. One guy said he talked to a scout/talent evaluator for the NFL who said that Cardel Jones might possibly be third string for tOSU and end up being a first round pick in the NFL. His point was that Jones' skill set is more suited for the NFL than college. He also went on to say that Jones' run through Wisky, 'Bama and Oregon was partly because those teams did not prepare for him properly.
I saw yesterday that Braxton Miller will be playing WR this year. Expect some trick plays, a la Cordell Stewart.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT