ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks...

My favorite thing about Brooks' US Open game was the versatility--including mid-match. In the finals vs Labriola, dude scored at least two TDs via blast double (talk about Burroughs-esque!) and at least two on ankle picks. Which, well, you know. Was it the final that he threw the headlock and cranked on the neck for 1+mins, or was that the semis vs Breske?

Offensive versatility is what's winning titles these days (see Nolf, Cenzo, Nickal, 86kg DT) and Brooks showed both that he possesses a deep arsenal and extremely good judgment on when & how to apply it. Dude is supa f*n!

Was it the final that he threw the headlock and cranked on the neck for 1+mins, or was that the semis vs Breske?
Breske. Watch his interview in this thread, he's really open and interesting in talking about his matches.

And yeah, there doesn't seem to be much he can't do on offense. He's a blend of rare athleticism, instincts, and pure wrestling ability.

His Cadet worlds run, where he was Wittlake's replacement, wasn't given a lot of attention here b/c he hadn't yet chosen Penn State, but it's worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen.

Here's the semi match:

And here's the final:

Breske. Watch his interview in this thread, he's really open and interesting in talking about his matches.

And yeah, there doesn't seem to be much he can't do on offense. He's a blend of rare athleticism, instincts, and pure wrestling ability.

His Cadet worlds run, where he was Wittlake's replacement, wasn't given a lot of attention here b/c he hadn't yet chosen Penn State, but it's worth watching for anyone who hasn't seen.

Here's the semi match:

Oh man, I love what he does against those whizzers! One he turned into a tilt for 4pts and the other he just shrugged out of back to neutral, after which he just ankle picked him. Also: gassed Iran in under a minute & a half.

And here's the final:
Wow. On top of all the points he scored, I liked how he didn't get out-savvied by a gassing opponent like Zain did last year. Not totally the same, b/c Zain fell behind early, but Brooks' end game he kept the elbows in, stayed alert. Boom, World Champ.

Really stoked about getting to continue to watch this guy grow & compete. Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: nitlion6 and tikk10

Here's the semi match:

And here's the final:
Is that dad in his corner?

Correct, KJ and Bormet cornered Aaron at Cadet Worlds. KJ is the EAP coach at the OTC and the Junior world team coach with Rob Eiter this year. They cornered him at the US Open and will be at the WTT with him.
Thank you John. You have an amazing son (on and off the mat), and believe it or not, he might be the recruit I am most interested in seeing wrestle in years to come. I was excited for him to commit to the Lions. He is nonstop in forward gear. He also seems like a sponge. A collector of information to use in future matches. If so, I believe he will excel at PSU, where they teach more situational wrestling such as what Bo and Nico and Q have practiced and then used when it counted.

Reactions: Sullivan
Brooks is an absolute beast. I keep saying that every time I see him he is jumping another level. I can’t say that I remember another young man who was already good but continued to grow at such a high rate. He is going to be scary good after a year at the OTC with Kevin Jackson and all of the other high level coaches that he will have access to. Putting him in with the class of 2019 I think that him and Kirkvliet are the top 2 kids and no one else is really that close. I’m obviously a huge Kirkvliet fan as well and think that he is going to be a monster for Okie State. I know I’m in the distinct minority but I actually think Kirkvliet will end up being better than Gable Steveson. They wrestled a very close match this past year and Kerkvliet seems to be jumping levels like Aaron Brooks. The biggest reason though is his frame. He is very tall and when he hits a college weight room and program he is going to fill out and be an absolutely huge human being. Gable just isn’t tall enough to fill out in the same way. Gable is special but I feel like Kirkvliet will be better long term. It was so fun watching both him and Brooks demolition the competition on their way to winning cadet gold!! Now they are both going to do it as juniors as well. Fun time for USA wrestling!!

Brooks is an absolute beast. I keep saying that every time I see him he is jumping another level. I can’t say that I remember another young man who was already good but continued to grow at such a high rate. He is going to be scary good after a year at the OTC with Kevin Jackson and all of the other high level coaches that he will have access to. Putting him in with the class of 2019 I think that him and Kirkvliet are the top 2 kids and no one else is really that close. I’m obviously a huge Kirkvliet fan as well and think that he is going to be a monster for Okie State. I know I’m in the distinct minority but I actually think Kirkvliet will end up being better than Gable Steveson. They wrestled a very close match this past year and Kerkvliet seems to be jumping levels like Aaron Brooks. The biggest reason though is his frame. He is very tall and when he hits a college weight room and program he is going to fill out and be an absolutely huge human being. Gable just isn’t tall enough to fill out in the same way. Gable is special but I feel like Kirkvliet will be better long term. It was so fun watching both him and Brooks demolition the competition on their way to winning cadet gold!! Now they are both going to do it as juniors as well. Fun time for USA wrestling!!
I’m with you on Kirkvliet to a certain extent. He’s a rail right now - watch the hell out when he fills out.

As for jumping levels, Nolf was like that. Already good, but then his offense improved like crazy in a short amount of time. Went from winning to killing people.

Kerk, Steveson, and Schultz all in the same weight ... wow.

Then throw in Snacks, Parris, Cassioppi, Elam, Singletary, Vough, Hillger, etc.

HWT could be one of the more interesting weights for several years to come. (I can't believe I just typed that.)

Kerk, Steveson, and Schultz all in the same weight ... wow.

Then throw in Snacks, Parris, Cassioppi, Elam, Singletary, Vough, Hillger, etc.

HWT could be one of the more interesting weights for several years to come. (I can't believe I just typed that.)
I thought with Snyder, Coon, Kasper, Hughes, Nevills, Stoll, Hemida, Butler, Hall, White, Haines, all departing this year or next, there'd be a drop off at heavy. Not so...there's plenty of fresh faces coming in.

Brooks all the way up to #2 on Flo’s Class of 2018 Big Board.

Reactions: backdrft76
I am confused - Brooks thread morphed into a Hvy thread. Brooks isn’t a Hvy candidate is he?

TOM ranked the 2019 class last month -- had Starocci #13.
Had a nice FS win a few weeks ago over Michael O'Malley. Got thrown to his back and came back from it. 8-2 to start the 2nd period and wins 10-8. O'Malley is a top 50 2018 recruit and beat 2019 Top 10 recruit, Chris Foca, to win a NJ State championship.

Really want him to be the Hall replacement.

I don't know Starocci from Adam, so why are you so high on him?
I'm with LemonPie on Starocci. Fargo double champ, won freestyle by a combined 48-2 last year. PA state champ, 2x finalist -- won a very tough bracket this year. Powerade champ.

Plus he's doing this in Erie -- D10 being probably the 7th best wrestling area in PA. Lots of room to grow with better workout partners and better competition.

Carter or Edmond would be awesome, I hear both are interested. Another 174 competing again is Josh Llopez. I’m hearing he would also like to wrestle at PSU.
Josh Llopez. Haven't heard that name in a while. Owned a win or two over Chance IIRC when they were far younger.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT