ADVERTISEMENT

bumps/cuts to create great matches

Conewago

Jul 10, 2017
What are some recent - as in, last 15 or so years - examples you can think of really, really good wrestlers bumping or going down a class to create a special match for the fans?

I was thinking about Jeff Prescott and how he bumped to 126 to wrestle Terry Brands, at Carver. Prescott was simply too small to win that match and Brands pushed him around. But it was still totally badass by Prescott (who was a bullying, dominating wrestler) to take on that challenge.

The last recent example I personally remember is when Gross bumped to 141 once to wrestle Bryce Meredith. Meredith won a close match.

I always wished we could have arranged for either Nolf or Nickal to wrestle Dieringer in 2016. Dieringer, up at 174, could probably put on a heck of a match with Bo. Of course it would be more "classic John Smith" to just ask Alex to make a crazy cut to 157.

Reactions: Str8DBLz and mcpat
Sebastian Rivera bumped up to wrestle Micic recently, want to say both were #1 in their weight classes when he did.

Reactions: mcpat
Weren’t Gross and/or Meredith involved in a bump match?
Yes, in 2018. Gross bumped to wrestle Meredith. Meredith won 4-2.

The 2 had wrestled twice previously; that match was the rubberneck, with Meredith coming out on top of the all-time series 2-1.

Shame Meredith never beat that tool Heil to win a natty.

This was high school, but I was there when Chris Kwortnik bumped from 167 to 185 to face John Hangey. Kwortnik won the match, and won states at 167, and Hangey went on to win states at 185.
1984 State College wrestler Rob Koll bumped up from 155 to 167 to wrestle PO's Mark Sidorick. Koll won. Koll won the 155 state championship and Sidorick won the 167 pound class.

When Nolf was on Baschamania the one time, he spoke of Cenzo bumping up to wrestle him in high school.

Reactions: creamery freak
Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t one if the BEN Williams brothers bump up in postseason and win states because he couldn’t beat his teammate at the lower weight?

The most famous, of course, was Louden Swain, who cut 20 lbs to face undefeated 3-time state champ Brian Shute by having sex with a random super hot drifter who somehow ended up living with his family.
Can't thumbs down, but I'll thumbs down in text.

What are some recent - as in, last 15 or so years - examples you can think of really, really good wrestlers bumping or going down a class to create a special match for the fans?

I was thinking about Jeff Prescott and how he bumped to 126 to wrestle Terry Brands, at Carver. Prescott was simply too small to win that match and Brands pushed him around. But it was still totally badass by Prescott (who was a bullying, dominating wrestler) to take on that challenge.

The last recent example I personally remember is when Gross bumped to 141 once to wrestle Bryce Meredith. Meredith won a close match.

I always wished we could have arranged for either Nolf or Nickal to wrestle Dieringer in 2016. Dieringer, up at 174, could probably put on a heck of a match with Bo. Of course it would be more "classic John Smith" to just ask Alex to make a crazy cut to 157.
Jimmy Gulibon and Nico wrestled each other in the Westmoreland County Tournament. I can't recall who bumped up or dropped down or even who won.

Reactions: danoftw
The most famous, of course, was Louden Swain, who cut 20 lbs to face undefeated 3-time state champ Brian Shute by having sex with a random super hot drifter who somehow ended up living with his family.
Brian must have hollow bones, he always failed the eye test and looked like he outweighed Louden by 20 pounds!

• Haha
Reactions: hlstone
Every match Joel Edwards wrestled at Heavy. Yeah, I know, technically he was PSU’s Heavy his senior year, but wicked undersized, and I loved pulling for him to throw in legs and go for a turn on the round ones.

EDIT: Memory not being 100%, I see now that he moved up to Heavy midway during his Junior season (a couple weeks after goading Trenge into a DQ) and stayed there the remainder of his career.

Last edited:
This was high school, but I was there when Chris Kwortnik bumped from 167 to 185 to face John Hangey. Kwortnik won the match, and won states at 167, and Hangey went on to win states at 185.
I've seen high school footage of Kwortnik. He was .... imposing, to put it mildly.

I believe he was champ the same time South Western's Wildasin was around. Also an imposing wrestler.

Gotta love how every wrestling movie (there aren't many) is either:
- Almost unbelievably implausible
- About a legend getting murdered (and talk about a slow-paced movie)

I remember in my junior year of HS seeing Nick Roberts and Jason Nolf throw down in the finals of the Southmoreland Holiday Classic. The gym was packed and everyone was amped to see them square off. Nolf won, but I don’t remember the score. They ended up at different weight classes for postseason and Nolf lost his only match in HS to Ryan Diehl of Trinity in the semis 6-4

Reactions: hlstone
I've seen high school footage of Kwortnik. He was .... imposing, to put it mildly.

I believe he was champ the same time South Western's Wildasin was around. Also an imposing wrestler.
Middle school footage...if it existed...would also indicate Kwortnik was imposing. Kid was Shute before - just before - Shute was a thing.

I’ve posted about Wildasin a number of times in this forum. He was the kind of wrestler that had already won before stepping on the mat. Definitely an aura to him in the late 80s/1990.

I think she was a fan of big hands.

Torn rotator cuff, I read, and all.
From a 1994 Oklahoma news article

Great Oklahoma State traditions like asking dudes who wrestled 130 in high school to wrestle 118 in college

AMES, Iowa - Oklahoma State's dry spell at 118 pounds will continue for another postseason with the absence of Joey Wildasin from today's Big Eight championships in the Hilton Coliseum.

Wildasin, who is 17-4 and ranked third nationally, didn't even make the trip with the Cowboys to this 62nd league touranment. A two-time national junior college champion at 126 pounds, and a 130-pounder in high school, Wildasin failed to make the 118-pound weight for the Cowboys' final three duals of the season.

• Sad
Reactions: danoftw and mcpat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT