ADVERTISEMENT

Can someone explain why Chase Meyer is not our starting kicker?

PSUWrestlingFanSince2011

Mar 22, 2022

If stats are close in practice then shouldnt the kicker that is a million times more proven in actual games get the nod?

Reactions: Roar More
Because Franklin said that they tracked all the kicks this preseason and he went with the top performer
Whether we agree with it or not that's the reason

Reactions: lazydave841
Which is a frightening glimpse into our kicking situation if Sander is the top performer.
He has to be on the shortest leash possible. While I hope that he doesn't have to kick any fgs in upcoming games because we're scoring tds, he really needs to make some fgs in the September games to actually prove that he can do it. His attempt on Saturday in an unstressful situation was pathetic and unacceptable.

Reactions: mhlarch
Let's wait and see how he does at least on Saturday if there are indeed any attempts. If not at least give him a chance to redeem himself. I do agree he has to be on a very short leash but also it is very concerning that he actually won the job.

The goal would be that going into USC we have found a kicker that has been consistent in the previous games.

What is a good expectation? 80- 90% inside 40 and maybe 60-70%, 40-49? Just totally guessing I don't know.

He has to be on the shortest leash possible. While I hope that he doesn't have to kick any fgs in upcoming games because we're scoring tds, he really needs to make some fgs in the September games to actually prove that he can do it. His attempt on Saturday in an unstressful situation was pathetic and unacceptable.
It was one kick. Give the kid a chance. Remember Robbie Gould struggled. Even Justin Tucker misses now and then.

Which is a frightening glimpse into our kicking situation if Sander is the top performer.
he missed a kick. One kick. We've got three games to get better. Chase isn't going anywhere.

Meyer's breakdown isn't great. He's awesome inside 40 but 3-5 in the 40+ range isn't great--plus he didn't try a kick over 50. He likely has a very limited range that they're comfortable with
Better than Sander obviously but that could be a reason

He also missed two field goals in last season's WVU game and was replaced during that game.
Turned about pretty well if I remember correctly. Going with a veteran kicker with a solid track record is the best move imo. Its not just that he's 0/3 on fgs the last 2 years. His kicks are ugly, even on extra points.

I suspect we will see both kickers on Saturday if we attempt multiple FGs. Franklin will likely want to evaluate both in a game situation in light of the miss last week. As someone said above, he's going to be on a really short leash at this point and if he misses another he'll probably lose his job, just like last year.

His extra points looked ugly as well. 0-2 last year. Chase was 17-20 on fgs last year which is incredible.
He nearly missed 2 of the 4 extra points also, duck hooking both of them badly. His fg attempt was horrific and nearly pulled to the sideline, another hook. Both of his misses last year were also hooked badly. If misses again Saturday look for another kind of hook, this one coming from James.

To be fair, Robbie Gould suffered from this early in his career until, I believe he went and got help from Adam Vinitieri...

It seems like something that has to be addressed in the off season, because if you don't have a kicker in close games, you lose. Meyer was a very good kicker at Tulsa, and just like last year, this is Big Boy football, not Juniata College. Next miss means next man up.

Reactions: RickinDayton
by missing ONE kick this year. I don't want to hear about last year. ONE kick THIS year.......unreal
The concerns don't come from one miss, they come from the near misses on the extra points and the degree of the miss on the field goal which was hooked badly. A close miss would have been better. You don't take chances with your kicker. This is big time football and you have three kickers on the roster, actually 4, who are competing for the job. The way it works is if he doesn't show better results, he's on the sideline. But hey I am sorry Mrs Sahaydak, I hope your son improves 😂

Reactions: RickinDayton
The concerns don't come from one miss, they come from the near misses on the extra points and the degree of the miss on the field goal which was hooked badly. A close miss would have been better. You don't take chances with your kicker. This is big time football and you have three kickers on the roster, actually 4, who are competing for the job. The way it works is if he doesn't show better results, he's on the sideline. But hey I am sorry Mrs Sahaydak, I hope your son improves 😂
Hey Cupcake......he was 4 for 4 kicking extra points and ONE missed field goal. Cut me a break. Oh wait, the extra points didn't split the uprights, only give us a half point :)

Hey Cupcake......he was 4 for 4 kicking extra points and ONE missed field goal. Cut me a break. Oh wait, the extra points didn't split the uprights, only give us a half point :)
He misses two or three field goals in a row Saturday I'm on board with you, until then give the kid a break.

A trained monkey can go 4 for 4 on extra points.

He misses two or three field goals in a row Saturday I'm on board with you, until then give the kid a break.
Sorry but in big boy football you don't get to miss 3 field goals in a row. The leash is short. There are 4 capable kickers on the roster who will dress for the game on Saturday. He needs to start making field goals. Extra points don't count.

Ohio State and Michigan fans beg to differ.
Well, I guess if that is the criteria we are using, our coaches know better than 90-95% of head coaches in the top level of CFB. Not quite the 100% rating the Monday morning message board warriors have, but close.

Well, I guess if that is the criteria we are using, our coaches know better than 90-95% of head coaches in the top level of CFB. Not quite the 100% rating the Monday morning message board warriors have, but close.
I'm not sure our staff is in the top 10% of the country though adding AK helps. Coaches, even elite ones, make bad decisions regarding talent. We see it every day and even more now with the portal. This decision is fine as long as they make a move if/when necessary and that isn't many more misses from now.

I'm not sure our staff is in the top 10% of the country though adding AK helps. Coaches, even elite ones, make bad decisions regarding talent. We see it every day and even more now with the portal. This decision is fine as long as they make a move if/when necessary and that isn't many more misses from now.
I guess we can't criticize Dabo for his transfer portal strategy then. Keep at it Dabo.

• Haha
Reactions: LandoComando
Sorry but in big boy football you don't get to miss 3 field goals in a row. The leash is short. There are 4 capable kickers on the roster who will dress for the game on Saturday. He needs to start making field goals. Extra points don't count.
You can't throw in last season and hold it against him. Easy on the trigger finger. It is one kick this year. Okay, his extra points don't look like Justin Tucker's. Short leash but give him another shot. I like the idea of a competition in game. One guy gets a chance then the other. These scrimmages we have masquerading as real games are a good time to do it.

The 2 last year were hardly shanks. They were close misses just outside the right goalpost. Both were hit solid.
FG kicking can be similar to pitching. A pitcher might be able to throw hard and have a variety of piches but if he has terrible location, he won't last. A FG kicker might strike the ball hard and even from a long distance but if the accuracy/consitency is lacking it is of little benefit to the team.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT