ADVERTISEMENT

Carter's FLO video.....

If Carter Starocci wrestles next season...whichever weight, he would be the only wrestler ever with the opportunity to be a 5X champion, correct? On top of that, it would put him in a class alone and above all other 4Xers. How could anyone pass up that unique opportunity?
It fits in with his mantra of "being the best ever" and with NIL makes it all the more enticing.
- just would feel bad for the Cochran kid-

• Love
Reactions: Ski
I don't know that Carter could get up to a full sized 197 by next season, but I really like the idea of him going there even if he is undersized. I think it's the only scenario where I like him returning. Picture him looking like Gabe Arnold :)

Do I think Facundo is a national champ contender right out of the gate? Probably not but he will definitely deliver AA next year at 174, and he has earned his shot IMO.

I like the idea of Marisola getting a redshirt, while avoiding the obvious complications Carter returning to 174 creates. I also think Barr is solid at 184, and it makes no long term sense to bump him up next year.

Someone needs to pull Carter aside tomorrow night and get him some pizza, beer and then hit the Creamery.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
If Carter Starocci wrestles next season...whichever weight, he would be the only wrestler ever with the opportunity to be a 5X champion, correct? On top of that, it would put him in a class alone and above all other 4Xers. How could anyone pass up that unique opportunity?
It fits in with his mantra of "being the best ever" and with NIL makes it all the more enticing.
- just would feel bad for the Cochran kid-
I think you answered your own question…

If you are the only one to ever be given the opportunity to do something, it isn’t exactly special to then be able to do it.

If you are the only one to ever be given the opportunity to do something, it isn’t exactly special to then be able to do it.

Special enough to be worthwhile. Everyone that was given an extra year for Covid had a chance to be a 5 timer. Most never won one. Frankly, seeing the results that some of the guys given a 5th, 6th or 7th year had and the way that so many of them regressed in their "extra" year, winning a title next year may be more impressive than any of the previous 4 Carter earned.

As been mentioned before, Cael and the coaches have a plan for their premier guys to excel on the international scene.

The college grind is part of that process. If CStar and Kerk have another year at the college level why wouldn’t they take it if their aspirations are Olympic gold? NIL will pay them well to stay that last year.

I understand CStar not wanting to go through another year cutting weight but Cael says go 197, eat well, train hard, and do what no other has done! Too tempting for CStar. He’s back!

Both him annd Kerk get another NCAA title and then go full bore on the freestyle scene as a NLWC member preparing for the 2028 games.

The college grind is part of that process. If CStar and Kerk have another year at the college level why wouldn’t they take it if their aspirations are Olympic gold? NIL will pay them well to stay that last year.
Some guys would view that year as a lost year of dedicated freestyle training, when the rest of the senior-level field is doing that (and the international guys have done only that for their entire careers).

Zain trained exclusively freestyle during his shirt year, and IIRC so did Nico. IDK if that was their idea or (more likely) Cael's, but it's what happened.

Also in freestyle, they only have to make weight a few times each year, not 2x/week for most of 5 months. They can focus on the training.

That's not to say Carter is done with folk. Only that he has done the college grind and might not see that as a continued benefit.

I keep hearing this. Many people were given the opportunity. Every wrestler that began competing in NCAA wrestling the same year as Carter was given the chance for 5 titles. The fact that Carter was the only from that group to win the four is why he is the only person with a chance for 5. It is true that none of the other current 4 timers were given the chance for 5, but it is being made out like the NCAA implemented a "Carter Rule" so only one person could have accomplished it. We could have 10 guys going for a 5th next year if they had won,

• Love
I keep hearing this. Many people were given the opportunity. Every wrestler that began competing in NCAA wrestling the same year as Carter was given the chance for 5 titles. The fact that Carter was the only from that group to win the four is why he is the only person with a chance for 5. It is true that none of the other current 4 timers were given the chance for 5, but it is being made out like the NCAA implemented a "Carter Rule" so only one person could have accomplished it. We could have 10 guys going for a 5th next year if they had won,
Fix had an opportunity to be a 5x runner-up.

(Sorry, cheap shot but too easy to resist.)

Watching the video I sense that the idea of going 197 is what might intrigue Carter. He has been very honest about not really being a book guy. I'm not sure where he is with getting a degree. Also he has talked about getting into MMA which might be more of his thought long term.
I think he comes back and goes 184/197. I think 197 might be tough on him because of his height. After that it's MMA.

Fix had an opportunity to be a 5x runner-up.

(Sorry, cheap shot but too easy to resist.)
Daton also said if he had gotten more years, he would have made it to the top of the podium. ;)

When they announced the Gilman/Fix match, Gilman's age was 29. I'm thinking he's kinda getting old. Then they announced Fix is 26. He's something like 7 years older than Levi Haines and just got done wrestling in NCAA's.

Actually, every guy who started in 2020 and 2021 had this opportunity.

Zain trained exclusively freestyle during his shirt year, and IIRC so did Nico. IDK if that was their idea or (more likely) Cael's, but it's what happened.
Well I'll be damned if that year of Freestyle training didn't result in the most punishing top rider of the next decade! :)

PS - Did you see Zain looking for the ankle for a quick bow and arrow against Mendez? You could tell Jesse was well coached on that one, and kept it far out of reach.

Reactions: El-Jefe

Plenty of folks won three when 3 was the max, yet 4 is the gold standard.

Carter wins 5 there win be some who need to point out the rarity of the opportunity as though that somehow makes the accomplishment less spectacular. However, over time fewer and fewer will feel that need as the collective accepts and celebrates the specialness of the accomplishment.

Lots of videos being thrown out recently, I think this is the most recent.

He reiterates 60% coming back, will know more in the next few weeks after a meeting with Cael. PD4's chatter was all talk and hype and selling the match. He calls it entertainment, and refers to having to promote the sport. He then is asked questions about JB around 9 minutes. Really good and interesting responses. Very candid 18 minute interview.

Lots of videos being thrown out recently, I think this is the most recent.

He reiterates 60% coming back, will know more in the next few weeks after a meeting with Cael. PD4's chatter was all talk and hype and selling the match. He calls it entertainment, and refers to having to promote the sport. He then is asked questions about JB around 9 minutes. Really good and interesting responses. Very candid 18 minute interview.
What would be better? Carter taking apart Gabe Arnold or Carter taking apart AJ?

What would be better? Carter taking apart Gabe Arnold or Carter taking apart AJ?
both GIF

Reactions: RB-Old
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT