ADVERTISEMENT

CBS reporter says Penn State underrated in AP rankings

I just think we want conference competition to lose more than non conference teams. Especially a team that looks to be competing directly with us for a playoff spot as the #3 or 4 team from a conference. If Texas wins you want them to go on and win the SEC or be one of those those teams not battling for 9-12 spots. If they are one of those teams then of course they are competition if we are 10-2. Plus I never could get myself to cheer for Michigan unless it was obvious a Michigan win directly helps Penn State.
It is interesting. Oregon/Michigan could be undefeated along with PSU since we don't play either of those schools. So the top seed would be just a guess. Worse, we could have 3 or 4 one-loss teams. Then what?

I just think we want conference competition to lose more than non conference teams. Especially a team that looks to be competing directly with us for a playoff spot as the #3 or 4 team from a conference. If Texas wins you want them to go on and win the SEC or be one of those those teams not battling for 9-12 spots. If they are one of those teams then of course they are competition if we are 10-2. Plus I never could get myself to cheer for Michigan unless it was obvious a Michigan win directly helps Penn State.
And rooting for Michigan to run the table if they beat Texas would be directly helping Penn State as we don't play them

I get what you're saying. I just don't believe they'll limit teams from a conference so we're in competition with all contenders

It is interesting. Oregon/Michigan could be undefeated along with PSU since we don't play either of those schools. So the top seed would be just a guess. Worse, we could have 3 or 4 one-loss teams. Then what?
Then you celebrate as all of those teams will be in the playoff and you just hope got the best matchup. I wouldn't even want to be in the CCG. Give me the 5 seed against a G5 Team then the ACC/Big XII champ.

Impossible to have 2 perfect teams in BIG (this year). If UM/Ore winner is perfect and we are. We play in Indy

Impossible to have 2 perfect teams in BIG (this year). If UM/Ore winner is perfect and we are. We play in Indy
I was going with the 3-4 one-loss team scenario but you're correct
Like our best scenario is if us, Ohio State, Michigan and Oregon all have 1 loss then say, Ohio State beats Oregon in the title game. Hopefully we'd be the 5 seed. I don't want to play in Indy and, if we lose, then have to play a playoff game to get to the second round.

Ideally CCGs die

And rooting for Michigan to run the table if they beat Texas would be directly helping Penn State as we don't play them

I get what you're saying. I just don't believe they'll limit teams from a conference so we're in competition with all contenders
I am looking at what I think is the most realistic scenario where Michigan does not run the table but has losses. If we are battling it out for them then we want them to lose to Texas. With that said, clearly though this does get muddled because, yes, Texas is competing with us so they could end up burning us at the end of the day since they beat Michigan. Just purely on emotion it would be nice to see Michigan lose this Saturday.

I am looking at what I think is the most realistic scenario where Michigan does not run the table but has losses. If we are battling it out for them then we want them to lose to Texas. With that said, clearly though this does get muddled because, yes, Texas is competing with us so they could end up burning us at the end of the day since they beat Michigan. Just purely on emotion it would be nice to see Michigan lose this Saturday.
I'm cool with that--just emotion
The logic is--we don't know what scenario is better so whatever happens will alter what we need moving forward. Could be better either way.

The flip side is we are not competing against usc/um in vacuum. We are competing against them AND everybody else. We know a good majority will be the SEC and BIG. If UM wins the BIG will be 2-0 against SEC. That will help SOS/perception.

The SEC/BIG will prob get 7 teams in. Maybe 8. Texas/UM will likely be in drivers seat. Doesn’t matter who wins directly as but UM winning helps perception of BIG OVER SEC so if it is only 7 it could help us.

The flip side is we are not competing against usc/um in vacuum. We are competing against them AND everybody else. We know a good majority will be the SEC and BIG. If UM wins the BIG will be 2-0 against SEC. That will help SOS/perception.

The SEC/BIG will prob get 7 teams in. Maybe 8. Texas/UM will likely be in drivers seat. Doesn’t matter who wins directly as but UM winning helps perception of BIG OVER SEC so if it is only 7 it could help us.
I can't get myself to root for Michigan. Just like I don't root for Ohio State. Don't care if they are in our conference.

It's good for us though (sometimes). It's not really rooting for them--it's rooting for us
Yeah if it is clear that a Michigan win will absolutely help us and no other factors are in play then yes I will root for them. At this point not the case but I guess if they do win it could help us down the road. I want them to lose to USC then we beat USC.

Yeah if it is clear that a Michigan win will absolutely help us and no other factors are in play then yes I will root for them. At this point not the case but I guess if they do win it could help us down the road. I want them to lose to USC then we beat USC.
That's all reasonable--so it's not that you won't root for them--it's just only when it's necessary

It will matter at the end when it comes to seedings a final playoff spots. For example, if Michigan goes 9-3 with loses to Texas Ohio State and Oregon they'll get in over 10-2 teams...and should.
Assuming they aren't ineligible for the post season.
We'll see. The committee had an opportunity to do this in 2016 as well, and didn't.

It will matter at the end when it comes to seedings a final playoff spots. For example, if Michigan goes 9-3 with loses to Texas Ohio State and Oregon they'll get in over 10-2 teams...and should.
Assuming they aren't ineligible for the post season.

USC and ND show the impact of beating a perceived good team. Both jumped a ton.
Penn State at 10-2 losing to USC and OSU.

Michigan at 9-3 losing to Texas, Oregon and OSU.

Who is higher ranked in the playoff pecking order?

We have more overall wins but Michigan beat USC and we didn't. I guess it would depend how close the losses were for each team.

Penn State at 10-2 losing to USC and OSU.

Michigan at 9-3 losing to Texas, Oregon and OSU.

Who is higher ranked in the playoff pecking order?

We have more overall wins but Michigan beat USC and we didn't. I guess it would depend how close the losses were for each team.
I think Michigan would be ahead of us but we'd both be in....assuming Ohio State, Oregon and Texas are all top 5-6 teams

I think Michigan would be ahead of us but we'd both be in....assuming Ohio State, Oregon and Texas are all top 5-6 teams
USC in assuming they are 10-2 or 11-1 losing to Michigan and maybe ND.

So you could have:

SEC
Georgia
Bama
Texas
Ole Miss

B10
OSU
Oregon
Michigan
USC
PSU

ND

Group of 5 champ

B12 champ
ACC champ

Who is the odd one out? Could easily be us. Also can't forget about Okie.

USC in assuming they are 10-2 or 11-1 losing to Michigan and maybe ND.

So you could have:

SEC
Georgia
Bama
Texas
Ole Miss

B10
OSU
Oregon
Michigan
USC
PSU

ND

Group of 5 champ

B12 champ
ACC champ

Who is the odd one out? Could easily be us. Also can't forget about Okie.
Depending on records. ND beating A&M doesn't help anyone. If all those teams are 10-2 or better with Michigan at 9-3 it will be interesting. I'd be worried if I was Ole Miss.

You guys are crazy obsessed. None of this matters. Rankings this early are click bait. Same with projected wins and playoff spots.

There are upsets no one foresaw. There are key injuries. Flops. Teams rise to the top that no one saw coming. Half the teams projected for the playoffs won’t come close.

It’s all a pipe dream. Just enjoy the games and allow the season to work its way through. Plenty of time to sweat it out two months from now.

Wake up around Nov 1st.

Last edited:
Reactions: AWS1022
Notre Dame plays absolutely no one. Well, maybe U$C.
Again, unless Texas runs the table and wins the SEC or simply wins the SEC. Then we don't win the B10 and Michigan does not either. Under those circumstances we are in a death match with them for an at large. We could both get in or it could be one or the other. A lot of football left.

I don't share your overall concern with our wide receivers. How do you know none got separation/open except Wallace? I saw Allar locking on Wallace a lot and not looking for the other guys.

Nevertheless, it is too early to take negative view thinking our WRs are not good enough. I have high hopes for Fleming and Wallace looks ready for a breakout season. Evans is improved and can do damage deep, especially. Let's see how the next few weeks shake out versus these overmatched opponents.
Fleming was wide open on a flag route for a possible TD on Wallace catch and run TD over the middle.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT