ADVERTISEMENT

CFP Rankings going into Conference Championship

Is there some sort of draft order for the non CFP New Years Six bowls? I feel like there used to be but I guess now they just assign they based on good matchups or something (ignoring conference tie ins)
I'm not sure. I think it may be just based on what conference is tied to what bowl game, but again, not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.

I'm not sure. I think it may be just based on what conference is tied to what bowl game, but again, not sure. Maybe someone else will chime in on that.
The Orange bowl is the only one with a conference tie in this season (ACC vs SEC/Big Ten). the other three all have all at large slots.

The Rose and Sugar which both have conference tie ins are the semifinals.

Reactions: PennState_one
The children are you and the little tyke with many nics but only one IP address, putthuff.
Flower Rain GIF by James Koroni

Oh there will be a huge outcry but that’s the clear outcome if Bama wins and the favorites win all the others. The Committee isn’t going to leave out an undefeated P5 conference champ and you have to take Texas over Bama given the head to head (in Tuscaloosa in fact).
But Bama is a different team now than when they played Texas, the winner of the toughest conference has to go, Texas has a worse loss….just practicing my Kirk Herbstreit in case it happens.

1 Georgia will beat Bama by 10
2 Michigan will beat Iowa by 30
3 Washington will beat Oregon by 3
4 FSU will beat the Cards by 17

Go make some money.

Reactions: NedFromYork
1 Georgia will beat Bama by 10
2 Michigan will beat Iowa by 30
3 Washington will beat Oregon by 3
4 FSU will beat the Cards by 17

Go make some money.
Agree on the first three winners. With the FSU QB out Louisville has a decent shot if they shake off the Kentucky loss.

Reactions: NedFromYork
Not sure how Mizzou is ranked ahead of PSU with losses to Georgia and LSU. I guess 6 of one and half dozen of another… PSU vs. Tulane in the Peach Bowl was a projection I just saw unless O$U gets in but FSU would need to lose to Louisville. Then, maybe the Orange Bowl…

We were told that their win against KSU was impressive..... until KSU lost to 5-loss Iowa State who lost to.... uuummmm.... Iowa LMFAO. So Mizzou's most impressive victory is now 7-4 Tennessee?????

Good Lord, I thought Iowa was terrible - so I guess that means KSU is completely bottom of the barrell.

Any scenario in which OU and Ole Miss jump us for a bid?

These predictions are wrong and designed to get attention I guess. How would Oklahoma and Ole Miss jump us when they are not playing? Makes zero sense.

Can't have both Okie State and Iowa win which the probability is super low.

If Bama beats UGA then they get in then Texas has to get in if they win. If Mich wins they are in. Then you are left with what happens with FSU vs Louisville and Oregon vs Washington.

If Washington wins they are in and lights out on the Dawgs.

If Oregon wins and FSU wins then I don't know. One spot between 3 teams. FSU will be undefeated but how does their resume stack up vs UGA and Oregon and the all important eye test. I just think being undefeated in a power 5 conf is the trump card for FSU. UGA's best win is Missouri who lost to LSU and FSU beat LSU.

If Bama beats UGA then they get in then Texas has to get in if they win.
This isn't true. This is again assuming Texas and Bama are deemed comparable when Bama beat Georgia and Texas beat OK State. They won't be compared.

I don't understand why people keep saying if Bama's in Texas is in. Bama has the better win, the better loss and a better SOS. It's not even close.

What’s the polllsters seeing in Orgeon’s resume that has them ahead of Ohio St?

Both teams are 11-1.

Ohio St has a 6 point loss at Michigan; Oregon has a 3 point loss at Washington. Michigan is seen/ranked as the better of they and Washington.

Ohio St has a home win over #10 and a road win over #16.

Oregon has a home win over #21. No other ranked wins.

I’m just not seeing it.

Both teams are 11-1.

Ohio St has a 6 point loss at Michigan; Oregon has a 3 point loss at Washington. Michigan is seen/ranked as the better of they and Washington.

I’m just not seeing it.

There's a general sentiment that the Pac-12 is "deep" this year and more rigorous even if the teams aren't ranked per se. While the Big Ten is "top heavy".

Reactions: mcpat

I think I read this same article earlier. The writers thought process seemed to be that OU might get shuffled better based on their Texas win, but I don't see any movement there since it hasn't already been done. I could see Ole Miss dropping below OU since they only won 17-7, but they've been thoroughly handled in their 2 losses. So much so that their 2 ranked wins don't carry weight.

Heck, at this point, Missouri doesn't even have the KState win to hold on to anymore. We should probably jump them, but it's irrelevant unless chaos ensues.

Reactions: mcpat

Both teams are 11-1.

I’m just not seeing it.
I don't see it either, but some how I still like it- maybe Delaney will come on College Game Day and blather how much the Big Bad Buckeyes should be in the playoff like in 2016.

There's a general sentiment that the Pac-12 is "deep" this year and more rigorous even if the teams aren't ranked per se. While the Big Ten is "top heavy".

Oregon has just been considerably better than everybody they beat. Their only close win was in September and doesn't get held against them. Heck, Lanning gambled so much he probably cost them the Washington game and that was just by 3 on the road.

Both teams are 11-1.

I’m just not seeing it.

Because Oregon would be 12-1 AND have a P5 Conference Championship. duhO$U would only be 11-1. Oregon would also have a win over the team that beat them, U-dub (currently ranked #4).

Because Oregon would be 12-1 AND have a P5 Conference Championship. duhO$U would only be 11-1. Oregon would also have a win over the team that beat them, U-dub (currently ranked #4).

He was talking about the polls that came out today. Not the hypothetical you brought up.

And the SEC has 1, 7, 8, 9, 11 12 & 13
Florida State is the only team in the top 13 outside those 2 leagues

No way in hell should Mizzou be ranked in front of PSU using the CFP's own damn criteria! One of their losses is to a 3-loss team ranked well below them and their best win is against 7-4 Tennessee! PSU's losses are to two top 6 teams with a combined record of 23-1, and their best win would be against an 10-2 team playing in a Conference Championship Game.

BTW, dipshit troll-boy was wrong yet again that WVU had no chance of getting 8 wins - go figure!

He was talking about the polls that came out today. Not the hypothetical you brought up.

Ummm, first of all, the AP Poll makes zero difference (nor will Tuesday's CFP Ranking) as Oregon will either be in front of, or behind, duhO$U dependent on whether they win or lose P12 CCG. But having Oregon 1 spot in front of duhO$U makes just as much sense as the opposite given that they played a closer game against U-dub then duhO$U did against scUM (Oregon leading by 4 before U-dub's final possession TD and then they missed a very makeable FG to tie it up on games last play.).

Anybody who would quibble about this bullshit on a PSU board (where Mizzou is utterly undeservedly ranked over PSU) is definitely a duhO$U fan.

Last edited:
Ummm, first of all, the AP Poll makes zero difference (nor will the Tuesdays CFP Ranking) as Oregon will either be in front of, or behind, duhO$U dependent on whether they win or lose P12 CCG. But having Oregon 1 spot in front of duhO$U makes just as much sense as the opposite given that they played a closer game against U-dub then duhO$U did against scUM (Oregon leading by 4 before U-dub's final possession TD and then they missed a very makeable FG to tie it up on games last play.).

Anybody who would quibble about this bullshit on a PSU board (where Mizzou is utterly undeservedly ranked over PSU) is definitely a duhO$U fan.

You are the one quibbling. You made a logical point in this post. In the other, you made an assumption.

I have no issue with how you rank them, but I can see why someone would think they should be reversed.

You are the one quibbling. You made a logical point in this post. In the other, you made an assumption.

I have no issue with how you rank them, but I can see why someone would think they should be reversed.

No, the OP is the one quibbling about about duhO$U's ranking on a PSU board for Pete's sake - and quibbling about a ranking relative to a team that has a very legitimate justification for being in front of them as Oregon was way closer to beating U-dub than duhO$U was to beating scUM.

It is in entirely possible for OU and Ole Miss to jump us (the real question is should they ever have been below us) when the committee does the final rankings. We have seen this before multiple seasons where the final rankings are quite a bit different. The committee does not respect Iowa, our only real win. If Michigan rolls them as expected, we are in trouble.

The Big Ten is very top heavy the last two years. We look like the SEC traditionally does whereas the current SEC looks more like the Big Ten where there is depth. The Pac-12 is the strongest conference.

It is in entirely possible for OU and Ole Miss to jump us (the real question is should they ever have been below us) when the committee does the final rankings. We have seen this before multiple seasons where the final rankings are quite a bit different. The committee does not respect Iowa, our only real win. If Michigan rolls them as expected, we are in trouble.

E-e-ee-e-ee-ee-e-e!!!

The Big Ten is very top heavy the last two years. We look like the SEC traditionally does whereas the current SEC looks more like the Big Ten where there is depth. The Pac-12 is the strongest conference.

PAC12 LOL!!!

E-e-ee-e-ee-ee-e-e!!!!

No way in hell should Mizzou be ranked in front of PSU using the CFP's own damn criteria! One of their losses is to a 3-loss team ranked well below them and their best win is against 7-4 Tennessee! PSU's losses are to two top 6 teams with a combined record of 23-1, and their best win would be against an 10-2 team playing in a Conference Championship Game.

BTW, dipshit troll-boy was wrong yet again that WVU had no chance of getting 8 wins - go figure!
I was absolutely wrong about WVU not winning 8 games. 100% wrong. They may also be the least impressive 8 win team in the history of football. They needed 3-9 Baylor to miss a FG and get a late TD to survive. Their resume

Wins

Duquesne FCS (arguably their best win lol)
Pitt 3-9
Texas Tech 6-6
TCU 5-7
UCF 6-6
BYU 5-7
Cincinnati 3-9
Baylor 3-9

Total 31-53

Awful team that struggled to beat many other awful teams.

If anyone wants to claim that's a good team they have zero credibility. This is why it's not just about record. Which you don't comprehend with your Mizzou rant. You're trying to pretend Iowa is better than they are.

I was absolutely wrong about WVU not winning 8 games. 100% wrong. They may also be the least impressive 8 win team in the history of football. They needed 3-9 Baylor to miss a FG and get a late TD to survive. Their resume

Wins

Duquesne FCS (arguably their best win lol)
Pitt 3-9
Texas Tech 6-6
TCU 5-7
UCF 6-6
BYU 5-7
Cincinnati 3-9
Baylor 3-9

Total 31-53

Awful team that struggled to beat many other awful teams.

If anyone wants to claim that's a good team they have zero credibility. This is why it's not just about record. Which you don't comprehend with your Mizzou rant. You're trying to pretend Iowa is better than they are.
You also can say that if WVU hadn't beaten TT, their record would be 7-5, and if they hadn't beaten TCU, their record would be 6-6, and if they hadn't beaten UCF, their record would be 7-5, and if they hadn't beaten BYU, their record would be 6-6. So, WVU contributed to those teams having either .500 or below .500 records.

I'm not saying that WVU is a great team, but they're not bad either. They came within a Hail Mary at Houston of finishing 9-3 in a Power 5 conference. That probably says how down the Big 12 was this season. However, WVU did have good lines and a good running back. They probably would've been no worse than the fifth or sixth best team in the Big 10 this season.

You also can say that if WVU hadn't beaten TT, their record would be 7-5, and if they hadn't beaten TCU, their record would be 6-6, and if they hadn't beaten UCF, their record would be 7-5, and if they hadn't beaten BYU, their record would be 6-6. So, WVU contributed to those teams having either .500 or below .500 records.

I'm not saying that WVU is a great team, but they're not bad either. They came within a Hail Mary at Houston of finishing 9-3 in a Power 5 conference. That probably says how down the Big 12 was this season. However, WVU did have good lines and a good running back. They probably would've been no worse than the fifth or sixth best team in the Big 10 this season.
And the Big Ten only has 4 teams (and Iowa being questionable) that anyone would count as a quality win.
I agree--WVU is on par with NW, Maryland, Wisconsin, etc. A group of very unimpressive teams.
I mean, to go 8-4 without beating a single team over 500 shows how weak your schedule was.
We can disagree on what makes a team decent/good/bad/horrible/etc I get that.
For me, for a team not to be horrible they have to be someone able to contend to with good teams on a semi-regular basis. We saw when WVU played OU they aren't capable of that. WVU also got lucky and didn't play Texas, Iowa State or Kansas. The went 0-2 vs the top 5 in the conference and 6-1 vs the rest. Many hear criticize Penn State for going 10-0 against everyone not named Ohio State and Michigan but they want to pretend WVU was somehow impressive. Sorry I can't. If we analyze the schedule that's about the weakest 8-4 from a P5 team as we've ever seen.

Absolutely. If Bama wins and no other upsets, the SEC is out of the CFP.

Georgia is pretty much out if they lose (only chance would would be if every CCG is an upset)
Not if ESPN has a say, and yes, they have a say. If Bama wins it's much more likely that two SEC teams get in.

Not if ESPN has a say, and yes, they have a say. If Bama wins it's much more likely that two SEC teams get in.
That's what probably happens. ESPN or not.

I'm sorry but there's no one watching FSU right now thinking they're a top 4 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT