ADVERTISEMENT

Chat Recap: BWI publisher Phil Grosz

Aug 31, 2005
State College
bwi.rivals.com
Phil,

1. Do we get McGovern Blue-White Weekend? Does UNC have a chance realistically?

2. Do we get Menet Blue-White Weekend? If not then, when? Do Duke & Stanford have a chance realistically?

3. How solid do you feel that Reid and Taylor will challenge for PT as frosh?

If we get McGovern and Menet, if they eventually progress to starters here we can call them the M&M Boys!

1] McGovern indicates that Penn State and North Carolina are tied at the top of his list. McGovern and his family have taken two extended visits to North Carolina, so I'll take him at his word. That being said I'd be shocked if he doesn't select Penn State. Everyone one I talk with in the Scranton Wilkes-Barre area tells me McGovern is going to select Penn State. I can't tell you if it will happen before or at the Blue White Game , but I believe he will select Penn State at or before the end of April.

2]I don't thing Michal Menet will make any college choice before the middle of this summer. He plans on taking a trip to Stanford I believe sometime in June and I think a final decision could come early in August before Exeter Township begins preseason practice for the upcoming 2015 season. You can't dismiss Ohio State and Menet was impressed with his unofficial visit to Duke.

That being said I think Penn State is in as good position with Menet as any of his top five teams. The other four are Duke, Stanford, Ohio State and Michigan State.

3] I've been told that both Reid and Taylor will play as freshmen. Part of the reason Jordan Lucas has been moved to FS has been the development of Grant Haley and Christian Campbell at CB and the fact Penn State was able to recruit both Reid and Taylor.

jeffkoz:
Phil,

Prediction on number of 2016 verbals by end of spring game?

Draft projections for Smith, James, Amos, Barnes, Hull?

Thanks.

1] I think there is a very good chance Penn State could have as many as 7 or 8 verbal commitments by the end of the Blue White Game on April 18.

2] Donovan Smith [middle of the 2nd round], Jesse James [middle of the 3rd to beginning of the 4th round], Adrian Amos [4th round], Mike Hull [5th or 6th round], Deion Barnes [6th or 7th round, but he could be a free agent] and don't forget about Miles Dieffenbach. I'm hearing he could be a 6th or 7th round pick, but will probably be a free agent.

nylar:
I get that there were multiple reasons for last year's OL performance and expect that we'll see some improvement this year . Nate has articulated that it still won't be great.
If the 1994 OL was a "10" and the 2014 OL was a "3", what number would you guess the 2015 OL would be?

Personally, I'm not quite as pessimistic about the performance of the offensive line this fall as Nate possibly is. One of the main reasons for that is the way the offensive line performed in the Pinstripe Bowl against Boston College, after Miles Dieffenbach had to leave the game late in the first quarter with an injury.

My optimism also is based on the fact Penn State's offensive line stays healthy, which will make it possible for the guys starting on the offensive line to practice at their designated position and not be forced to practice at three different positions on the offensive line like Angelo Mangiro, Andrew Nelson, Brandon Mahon and Derek Dowrey were forced to do the second half of last season.

If they can stay healthy, Paris Palmer is as good as advertised and Kevin Reihner can supply some solid depth at the center position, I see no reason why people can't expect the offensive line to perform at a "6" or "7" level this fall. In many respects I think there could be a comparison made between Penn State's projected starting offensive line this fall to Penn State's projected starting offensive line for the 2005 season coming off a dismal performance in 2004.

We'll just see how it plays out.

RobBliz:
Does McSorely see the field this year?

Not psu related, but is Chip Kelly smarter then everyone else or a total buffoon?

1] First of all I won't make a comment on Chip Kelly, other than the fact he was an outstanding college coach at Oregon.

2] With Penn State opening six games with Temple at the Linc in Philadelphia followed by five straight home games against Buffalo, Rutgers, San Diego State, Army and Indiana, I'd be more than disappointed if Trace McSorley didn't see game action in at least three of those games.

Just last week I took a detailed look at the returning players on all six of those teams and I'm convinced Penn State should go into its game with Ohio State [Oct. 17] with a 6-0 record.

It seems there are a number of Lions Den members that seem to be worried about Penn State's game with San Diego State because of their bowl performance back in December. At first I was concerned, until I looked at their returning roster. The Aztecs play a 3-3-5 defensive set and they lose five of their six players up front on defense.

This is a September schedule for Penn State that almost demands that McSorley receives some valuable game experience in at least three games in September.

NoIdeaWhatsGoingOn:
What linebackers do you see as a legitimate option for PSU in this recruiting class?

Were you surprised Hackenberg ran a faster 40 than McSorley? McSorley was supposedly 4.5 speed guy, cause for concern?

1] Cameron Brown and don't discount Brendan Ferns with Oklahoma losing its LB coach. Also, I'm told Penn State thinks Andrew Pryts [6-2, 205] can grow into being an OLB.

2] That did catch me by surprise knowing the fact Hackenberg stands around 6-4, 232. No I'm not concerned, that's just a big credit for Hackenberg's corner and it proves he is a better athlete than people give him credit for being.

Where were these 40 times reported? Were other testing results reported?

McSorley's 40-yard time of 4.75 in winter workout testing last week. was reported on the Internet, but I haven't confirmed it personally. Just responding to the questions. Details on other specific winter workout testing results have not been released by Penn State.

sean43215:
Hi Phil,

Just wanted your opinion how we are trending with the 2016 recruits. Maybe we got spoiled
last year, but it seems like we are just "one of many" players with a majority of our 4 star targets? Last year we
seemed to lead with so many of them. Any thoughts?

Right now 11 of the 14 Big Ten teams have verbal commitments for the class of 2016. Indiana, Northwestern and Purdue are the only three Big Ten schools that don't have at least one verbal commitment for the class of 2016.

I'm not worried at all. At this time last year I believe Penn State had three verbal commitments and by the end of March I agere with Ryan of our staff that Penn State could have as many as six 4-star commitments. I don't believe there is any reason to be concerned at this point. I think James Franklin and his staff think they are right where they want to be with the recruitment of the class of 2016.

One final thought. Just take a look at the players Penn State is recruiting and targeting for the class of 2016. Even players like SS/OLB Andrew Pryts from from Hickory High School has scholarship offers now from Stanford, UCLA, Alabama, Michigan, Michigan State and Ohio State.

No reason at all to be concerned.

lionlover:
Hi Phil,

1) Has Noah Beh gained any more weight since the 280 lbs was reported by Franklin?

2) How has Chaz Wright been performing. Can he seriously challenge for a starting role or do you see him as a career back up?

3) I know that they expect Reid to step in as a back up, but I don't think Daquan Worley is going to make it easy. Your thoughts?

1] The last weight I heard reported for Beh to me was 285 pounds. I expect a spring roster to be released on Tuesday [March 17] when James Franklin holds his per-spring practice press conference.

To early to make that type of an evaluation on Chasz Wright [6-5, 332]. I do know this that Coach Hand views Wright as a exclusively as a RT on the offensive line and with Andrew Nelson [6-5, 308] projected to be the started there for at least the next two years, it seems Wright will at least be a backup behind Nelson for the next two years. BWI will be watching Wright's performance closely in spring practice.

3] I'm told Daquan Worley [5-10 1/2, 192] is 100-percent over his ACL injury and that Coach Shoop and Coach Smith expect Worley to see practice time this spring at both the boundary CB position and quite possibly either the SS or FS position in the secondary. I've been told pound-for-pound Worley is one of the hardest hitters on Penn State's defense.

Penn State is going to have excellent depth and flexibility in the secondary this fall at safety and cornerback, despite of the graduation of Ryan Keiser, Adrian Amos and Jesse Della Valle. Besides Worley another redshirt freshman Coach Shoop expects to see practicing at both FS and CB in spring practice is Amani Oruwariye [6-1, 198] I just love the DBs Penn State has recruited in its last two recruiting classes.

redoak9:

Hi Phil. Would you discuss what to expect from the Special Teams this fall. I would in particular have you discuss improving the speed in the kick off and punt return tea

1] I don't believe that individual speed was a real problem on the punt and kickoff coverage teams last fall, particularly the punt coverage unit. I thought both Grant Haley and Christian Campbell were excellent gunners.

That being said, I thought both the punt and kickoff coverage teams were un-disciplined and had serious problems staying in their lanes.

Right now it is my understanding that redshirt freshman Joe Julius [5-11, 200]is the leading candidate to take over the placekicking and kickoff duties. With January enrollee Tyler Davis [6-1, 180] and redshirt freshman Tyler Stivason [5-11, 170] also in the picture this spring.

The punting situation is interesting. I'm told redshirt freshman Robby Liebel [6-2, 200] from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla. is going to give. So. Daliel Pasquariello [6-0, 199] and Rs. So. Chris Gulla [6-0, 193] a run for their money in spring practice. This doesn't surprise me at all because I was really impressed from what I saw from Liebel on his 2014 punting highlight video.

Phil....do you remember last 4* athlete for PSU who was from D-Town?

Yea. it was QB Pat Devlin and yes Coach Matta was the head coach at Downingtown East when Devlin was a junior and senior in high school. But I don't have any concerns any more. The reason for that is because Matta has a better working relationship with Franklin and his staff than he did with Paterno and his staff.

Matta and Franklin are friends and when Matta was an assistant coach at Clarion, he recruited Sean Spencer to play at Clarion. They are also friends.

tbethell09:
Hey Phil,

Was wondering your thoughts on how the TE depth chart will shake out. With Breneman, Carter and Gesicki. Sounds like people really like Gesicki, but it looked like Carter played well in the Bowl. Will either of them spend time lining up in Slot etc...how do you see it playing out?

Thanks!

I like Penn State's situation at TE for the upcoming 2015 season. I believe Adam Breneman [6-4, 245] if he's 100-percent healthy is ready for a breakout season. In 2013 Breneman had a superb season. He had 15 catches for 186 yards, averaging 12.4 YPC with three TD receptions in the final three games of the season. I think he's capable of having a 40 reception total for the season, plus he just might be the best receiving/blocking TE on Penn State's roster.

It is easy to overlook Kyle Carter [6-3, 243] because of his limited number of 18 catches last season, but I'm not making excuses for Carter but he's had injury problems the last two years. For his Penn State career Carter has 70 catches for 828 yards and four TDs. He's an excellent flex-TE, who runs great routes and has good hands. Carter played well late last season. Mike Gesicki [6-5, 245] is just a freak athlete. He has a 38 1/2- inch vertical leap and may be the best pure athlete at TE on Penn State's roster. Just like Breneman, Gesicki has the ability to stretch the field vertically with the passing game.

The TE with the most to gain or lose in spring practice is redshirt junior Brent Wilkerson [6-4, 250]. If he doesn't stay healthy he could get lost in the shuffle.

Really the only thing missing from the TE position this spring is Jesse James [6-7, 272] size. That might change with the class of 2016 with TE Cary Angeline [6-7, 234] from Downingtown East High School in Exton, Pa. If Penn State lands Angeline they will have the most undervalued player in my opinion in the class of 2016. I think he is a pure 6.0 4-star prospect and one of the top 3 TE prospects in the country for the class of 2016.

I also like Penn State's two incoming TEs Jonathan Holland [6-4, 240] and Nick Bowers [6-4, 254].

stowsky:
Hi Phil,

How realistic would it be for Shoop to mix in some 3-4 fronts this season if our DE's struggle? AJ, Zettel and Sickels/Brown. Same scenario for 2016 but with the struggles coming from DT. Seems like we have enough talent and depth at LB to do it.

I think that type of decision won't be seriously considered by Coach Shoop until he gets a good feel on the progress from several underclassmen DE prospects like Torrence Brown [6-3, 262], Curtis Cothran [6-5, 250], Garrett Sickels [6-4, 254] and Evan Schwan [6-6, 258].

I do know this that Coach Shoop and Coach Franklin have been pleased with the work coming from the underclassmen during winter workouts. I anxious to to see the spring roster released on Tuesday [March]] 17] because BWI has been told all of Penn State's DEs are at least 250 pounds. They appear to be physically mature.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News