ADVERTISEMENT

Cleatless football.

lostlion

Aug 15, 2007
If the NFL/NCAA eliminated cleats on the players shoes or minimized them, do you think the game would be ruined?
I think the intensity of open field hits would be reduced but the game would be changed by slowing it down.
I was listening to a pregame radio this morning and a fella recommended having players wear heavier shoes to prevent injuries. That seemed strange but the conversation made me think that reduced traction might do the same.
What do y'all think?

would be an ugly game, and a lot of guys would get injured when they slipped while making a cut

Reactions: psu2016
Sorry but that is up there with one of the dumbest ideas I’ve ever heard.

Let’s eliminate shoes altogether!

Then it’s a matter if they go barefooting, go with flip flops or go with just sox.

Reactions: ralphster
I hear ya. A lot of no but no alternates listed either.

Any thoughts that will reduce the amount of force a player experienced on a hit.

If the NFL/NCAA eliminated cleats on the players shoes or minimized them, do you think the game would be ruined?
I think the intensity of open field hits would be reduced but the game would be changed by slowing it down.
I was listening to a pregame radio this morning and a fella recommended having players wear heavier shoes to prevent injuries. That seemed strange but the conversation made me think that reduced traction might do the same.
What do y'all think?
Eliminate the hard helmets with face masks... go to those padded ones that you see them use in 7 on 7 stuff

They just need to find a cure for the damage caused by CTE. Bam, problem solved. You're welcome.

Kind of ruins the experience like a condom, don't ya think?

Bare feet work fine in martial arts, yoga, swimming, etc. :cool:

I admit I get weird looks and comments when I wear flip flops during Winter or walk barefoot in a local Dunkin Donuts. That's all fine and dandy. I accept it. I just don't understand the stigma.

I can see the point, but the answer lies in the helmet and what to do there.

But as someone whose son had his hand broken this year when his hand got stepped on, you hate cleats in that moment. But he played the last 5 weeks with the broken throwing hand and being cleated may have been a blessing in disguise.

What do y'all think?
Just make it flag football then.

I can see the point, but the answer lies in the helmet and what to do there.

But if you reduce the contact speeds the amount of protection required in a helmet is reduced. Anything that can be done to build the perfect helmet may achieve concussion protection but increase neck injuries.

Making the game fair for both offense and defense and reducing the injuries is the goal. Reduced speed reduces energies expended on contact and if both sides are equally disadvantaged the game stays fair.

Work on a better helmet may not be enough. That work has been going on for decades and may not be able to keep pace with the improved athletes and skills today.

There are other factors that could be manipulated at the same time.

Most people here don't consider this a reasonable proposal as a start to a conversation to explore improving safety so I'll drop this.

What do y'all think?

Well golf went to soft spikes so not impossible.

Something like this exists in the sports world... it's called Clay Tennis.

It's a completely different game and some say a better one.

You remove the grip, change the bounce and prior to Nadal ended up with completely different relatively unknown champions.

I like the idea but I don't know if it would affect other type of injury

I still believe the cure for the NFL is a simple one, call personal fouls on anything that isn't a tackle. When guys have to wrap up and expose their body they play differently/

LdN

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT