ADVERTISEMENT

College Football aiming for 105 total roster limits

And with revenue sharing they all get a piece. We are fortunate at PSU but how the heck will the Lehighs or even the Temples of the cfb world afford athletics.

And with revenue sharing they all get a piece. We are fortunate at PSU but how the heck will the Lehighs or even the Temples of the cfb world afford athletics.
I don't know how much revenue sharing is going to impact FCS schools since the revenues are already limited. Beyond that, there's nothing that requires them to have a roster of 105; Lehigh's current roster is at 96. It's not much of a difference, but there's nothing preventing them from having a smaller roster.

I think you raise a good question about schools like Temple. Under the current structure, I don't think it makes much sense for Temple to play FBS football, and the direction of FBS is only going to make the cost of the program go up. Unless the school sees increased revenue from TV contracts, which Temple won't, they'd better have some people with deep pockets ready to bankroll a program that draws little interest and will probably become a money drain if it isn't already.

I honestly think that a day will come when the number of programs operating at the top level of CFB will number less than 50. The low level programs from P5 along with the strongest G5 programs will compete at something close to the current G5 level. The rest probably won't change that much.

Last edited:
Nothing new here from a historical perspective. In 1973 the roster limit was 105 players.
Increasing the number of players you have to pay in NIL and rev sharing is historically new. This means bigger budgets for both would be needed because you know individuals aren't going to be willing to accept less because of a larger total roster size.

That is scholarships? 20 more than current 85. So revenue sharing for 105 football players?
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. I see this as another power play to consolidate power at the top.
The B2G and sec have 34 member institutions. These schools will now have 680 additional schollies to give.
I assume this will come with an increased annual recruiting limit from 25 to 30-35? Aside from initial counters we'll probably see a lot more movement of performers from lower programs moving up and those struggling moving down.
Regardless, for better or worse, the tweener that chases a dream to be a walk-in at a P5 school will now likely be in FCS.

I don't know how much revenue sharing is going to impact FCS schools since the revenues are already limited. Beyond that, there's nothing that requires them to have a roster of 105; Lehigh's current roster is at 96. It's not much of a difference, but there's nothing preventing them from having a smaller roster.

I think you raise a good question about schools like Temple. Under the current structure, I don't think it makes much sense for Temple to play FBS football, and the direction of FBS is only going to make the cost of the program go up. Unless the school sees increased revenue from TV contracts, which Temple won't, they'd better have some people with deep pockets ready to bankroll a program that draws little interest and will probably become a money drain if it isn't already.

I honestly think that a day will come when the number of programs operating at the top level of CFB will number less than 50. The low level programs from P5 along with the strongest G5 programs will compete at something close to the current G5 level. The rest probably won't change that much.

We can only hope that happens. Hopefully they can only play other teams on their level as well

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT