ADVERTISEMENT

Corey Maggette named in Duke case

Lion8286

Sep 1, 2008
The woman who has accused Virginia’s lieutenant governor, Justin E. Fairfax, of raping her said that a former N.B.A. player, Corey Maggette, raped her at Duke University 20 years ago and that school officials did not pursue the claim, according to a childhood friend of the woman and Facebook messages the woman exchanged with another friend.

Mr. Maggette, who attended Duke for one year, 1998-99, and reached the national championship game, played in the N.B.A. until 2013 and has since worked as a television analyst for Fox Sports.

Mr. Maggette denied the accusation through a spokesman Monday evening. “It has only been through media accounts and a statement from Meredith Watson’s lawyer that I first learned or heard of anything about these sexual assault allegations,” Mr. Maggette said in a statement. “I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge.”

A spokeswoman for Fox Sports West, where Mr. Maggette is a basketball analyst, said in an email, “Fox Sports takes allegations of misconduct seriously, and we are looking into the matter. We have no further comment at this time.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/sports/corey-maggette-justin-fairfax-duke.html

The woman who has accused Virginia’s lieutenant governor, Justin E. Fairfax, of raping her said that a former N.B.A. player, Corey Maggette, raped her at Duke University 20 years ago and that school officials did not pursue the claim, according to a childhood friend of the woman and Facebook messages the woman exchanged with another friend.

Mr. Maggette, who attended Duke for one year, 1998-99, and reached the national championship game, played in the N.B.A. until 2013 and has since worked as a television analyst for Fox Sports.

Mr. Maggette denied the accusation through a spokesman Monday evening. “It has only been through media accounts and a statement from Meredith Watson’s lawyer that I first learned or heard of anything about these sexual assault allegations,” Mr. Maggette said in a statement. “I have never sexually assaulted anyone in my life and I completely and categorically deny any such charge.”

A spokeswoman for Fox Sports West, where Mr. Maggette is a basketball analyst, said in an email, “Fox Sports takes allegations of misconduct seriously, and we are looking into the matter. We have no further comment at this time.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/11/sports/corey-maggette-justin-fairfax-duke.html
https://thebiglead.com/2012/09/18/l...ill-escape-again-because-the-ncaa-needs-duke/
Lance Thomas, the Duke forward from the 2010 National Championship team, has quickly settled a lawsuit with a jeweler whom he owed about $67,000, according to the News & Observer. Details of the settlement weren’t disclosed. The real story here, though, is the money and the date: Thomas, while a senior at Duke, dropped $30k in cash on jewelery, and was able to convince the jeweler to give him a line of credit for $67k.

A) How was Lance Thomas – who according to reports does not come from a wealthy family; his mother worked at a Ford plant in New Jersey and nothing has been written about his father – able to come up with $30k? [Jeff Goodman might have an answer: His uncle Monty.]

B) What the NCAA look into it, or just hope some sports writers are able to uncover something?

Duke has sort of been down this road before. Remember Corey Maggette? Star in high school picked Duke, helped the Blue Devils get to the Final Four in 1999 (where their 32-game winning streak ended in the title game when Trajon Langdon struggled in the final :10 of a 77-74 loss to UConn). Later, it was revealed that Maggette took money in high school from an AAU coach named Myron Piggie. Maggette admitted to taking the money. Gary Parrish takes you back to what happened:

Less than a year later, a federal grand jury handed down an 11-count indictment of Piggie that details the payments to Maggette. Piggie cut a deal and admitted to making the payments; Maggette admitted to receiving the payments. So none of this falls under the he said/she said umbrella, and the NCAA’s Jane Jankowski was quoted in April 2000 as saying that the NCAA “will have to determine if Duke, in fact, had an ineligible player in the NCAA tournament. And, if so, what monies would have to be returned for use of an ineligible player.”

Nothing happened to Duke. The NCAA’s hilarious selective enforcement was on full display.

So what will the NCAA do this time? Before you answer, remember two things: 1) The NCAA profits handsomely from the NCAA tournament. More than 80 percent of the NCAA’s revenues come from the tourney. 2) Duke, is one of the most popular teams in college basketball, and a great TV staple in March.

The NCAA makes BIG Money on March Madness. Targeting Duke, UNC, UK, KU etc. is bad for business.

Reactions: KC-KS-Lion
Okay, I'll bite. What does this have to do with the NCAA?
Player took money, the guy who have it to him plead guilty. If true, player was ineligible, at least. That would mean they have to forfeit the games. If Duke knew, much harsher penalties

Player took money, the guy who have it to him plead guilty. If true, player was ineligible, at least. That would mean they have to forfeit the games. If Duke knew, much harsher penalties
that was not the question

my question was about the rape allegation from a 1999 incident (note the title of this thread)

what, if anything, does that have to do with the NCAA?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ranger Dan
that was not the question

my question was about the rape allegation from a 1999 incident (note the title of this thread)

what, if anything, does that have to do with the NCAA?
Nothing, unless they knew about it and covered it up

I honestly think that Coach K knew nothing about it.

And, if he did, he is certainly not stupid enough to out any response or inquiry into it in an email.

He would do it by mouth only.

So, am I missing something here? In the thread about Nebraska's frosh RB Washington, a poster seemed mad that the OP brought it here, and then stated this thread, which lead me to believe Maggette had ties to PSU, but so far, I'm not seeing it. Am I missing something, or does Maggette have something to do with PSU? Bc if it's just another corrupt collegiate basketball player/program, who cares! Not that I'm saying the crime/crimes should go without punishment, if they did the crime, they should be punished, I just don't understand the connection, if there is one.

Okay, I'll bite. What does this have to do with the NCAA?
The entire post by me was copied and pasted from a 2012 article to show Maggette has had baggage before. Not saying he's guilty of rape, but some might posit this shows he's had his @ss covered by Duke before. The NCAA reference you bolded does not apply to the current allegation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT