ADVERTISEMENT

Covid

You aren’t interested in the flu. You can pout and cry and stomp your feet but the fact remains we are all dependent on one another. Love you or hate you, I go to war for you. I pay taxes for you. I’m in a pandemic, so are you. The amount of nonsense about who is sick or with what and what the numbers are is utter nonsense. Stop blaming cnn or anyone else. Solve the problem with your fellow Americans.
We can’t solve the problem if we’re not given accurate data. We kind of need to know the truth and that’s been a moving target since the beginning. And believe me, I pay plenty in taxes, so it’s likely I’m paying taxes for you.

Reactions: TheGLOV
I'm 70, was exposed on Nov 1st at a gathering. By Nov 5-6 I started feeling tired and drained. On the 7th, and for the following 2 weeks i was very sick, cough, headache, exhausted. Didn't sleep very well. Then I began to improve and a week later was feeling somewhat normal. I was tested positive on Nov 10th. Taste is not yet back fully.

The most stressful aspect was worrying that I might wake up one day and it would have moved into my chest and taken full control...

Thanks for the background, it would be helpful to quantitatively discuss "rates" and "probability" if you can and source it. This is how better decisions are made.

For example, my best estimate counting the number of deaths and known positives reported in this thread is approximately 35 deaths of 220 known positives with probably over half spending time in the hospital for it. This is an estimate based on many using the terms "a few" which I took to be 3 or 4 and the like.

Anyway, 35 of 220 is a death rate of 16%. Below are the CDC's published survivability rates.

Ages 0-19: 99.997%
Ages 20-49: 99.98%
Ages 50-69: 99.5%
Ages 70+: 94.6%

So as you can see, our board's known cases represent about 3 times higher death rate than the 70+ age category as reported by the CDC and about 32 times higher than the 50 - 69 age group that appears to be aligned with the average of the deaths reported here in this thread.

Now I wouldn't individually say anyone here is making things up and I am very sorry for any and all of the losses anyone may have experienced. But it is clear that our collective reporting of deaths and cases on this board of about 32 times higher death rate than the CDC reports for our average age of death reported is not highly probable. My guess is that many of us have been told anecdotal stories and we simply believe them because we have no real reason not to believe them. Except that in the aggregate, our reports are of a death rate 32 times higher than the CDC is reporting. If we are willing to believe that then perhaps we may also believe it's punishment on the Penn State community for Sandusky's crimes.
Globally, I have seen a presentation of around 0.3% for an IFR. In Spain, the recent calculations there look closer to 1%.
Retrospectively, the IFR is probably going to be derived in large part from excess death numbers and serology data. So there’s a lot of information pending. The percentage of severe illnesses for confirmed infections has generally maintained around 15%.
The thing is, infections are prevalent enough now that most people know somebody who has had it. Many of these people, even if they did not succumb to the virus, were very ill for a significant period of time and some of them are dealing with long term sequelae. Anecdotally, I can tell you that the proportion of people I know who have long term issues with this virus probably looks more like Mononucleosis, but with a wider and more bizarre array of symptoms than just fatigue. I can also tell you in my hard hit local community, obituaries are now about 2 - 3 times greater than average.

The trials of these vaccines went through an approval process and were administered to tens of thousands of people. They were judged safe enough to obtain FDA authorization, although it is provisionally under Emergency Use. The rollout will take time and continued observation will occur. There are going to be some unexpected incidents as there always are with anything new performed on a large scale. It is always a matter of risk comparison, and the data we have from the trials to date versus the actual infection with the wild type virus make it clear that the virus is far more dangerous, even if most of the infections are asymptomatic or undetected.

Last edited:
I heard it described as severe allergies, severe enough that you carry an EpiPen.
Yes. I don't believe it has been related to any particular kind of allergy (like food), but those people who are predisposed to severe anaphylaxis are the ones who should be cautious. The suspected allergen in the Pfizer preparation (which is also present in the Moderna formulation) is polyethylene glycol, which is used to keep the lipid delivery particles soluble.

My youngest son got Covid in November. The Louisville health dept put him up in a hotel to quarantined him, and delivered 3 meals a day to him. He had to finish his last semester of his MDiv at seminary, final papers and finals, from the hotel. But he recovered reasonably quickly. Didn't test negative until after Thanksgiving. The Louisville health depth kicked him out of the hotel the Tue before Thanksgiving and told him he could travel for Thanksgiving because he was 10 days past first symptoms and asymptomatic by then, but we told him not to come home until he tested negative. That didn't happen until the following Monday morning. So later Monday he drove to Pittsburgh (6hrs), then drove to our hunting camp (4hrs), and got into camp at midnight. We went out hunting early the next morning and he had his 8 pt buck at 7:08 Tuesday morning. Right through the heart at 115 yards. What took him so long? Not many preachers are also trained killers.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Creek Side
I'd love to see a study of smokers and vapers. How many of them died from this? In Central PA 90% of all deaths over 85 with multiple issues.

Sorry to add this to an old thread...I've lost a few older relatives or friends of my parents, but things really got "real" for me over the past few weeks...

A friend lost his battle against COVID on Wednesday. 24 years old, PSU Behrend grad from Erie, worked as a Supervisor in the Student Section at Beaver Stadium every fall. Haven't seen him since the last game two years ago (another thing that sucked about missing this season was catching up with all of those friends that I only see as we visit Happy Valley). Learned he had COVID in mid-December, got bad enough that he landed in the hospital, and kept getting worse as he was flown to Pittsburgh, and then got the awful news yesterday. So sad (and scary).

• Sad
Reactions: PearlSUJam
I heard it described as severe allergies, severe enough that you carry an EpiPen.
11 anaphylactic cases out of a million doses , instead of the expected 2-3 have been seen with the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine.
Article with similar numbers linked ...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT