ADVERTISEMENT

Daiquan Kelly's impact on Recruiting

RyanSnyder

BWI Recruiting Analyst
Silver Member
Nov 2, 2013
Bellefonte
I've seen some questions about Daiquan Kelly's dismissal and the impact it has on recruiting this weekend, so I figure I'd make a post. However, I'm going to stress that even the coaching staff couldn't tell you exactly how this will impact this year's class and beyond.

In theory, yes, Kelly's dismissal should give the coaches an extra scholarship for this year, but the thing I'll continue to stress is that next year's class is shaping up to be the smallest since Franklin and his staff arrived. With all the de-commitments that took place following the Sandusky stuff a few years back, PSU has to even out its classes so they don't have one that's substantially smaller than the others every four years or so. Transfers and what not will impact that down the road, but it is ideal for the staff to have fairly even numbers moving forward.

That's one of the main reasons why I believe this year's class will fall short of 25. They probably could take a full 25 if they really want - and who knows, they may end up doing that. But they're also off to an excellent start with great players next year, so do they try to even out the numbers by waiting until next year? Only time will tell.

Another thing that's going to impact what the staff does with Kelly's scholarship is the current group of linebackers, especially the younger guys. If Manny Bowen and Jake Cooper are able to pick up things quickly and make the adjustment to Division I practices and what not, that'll ease the staff's urgency. However, if they do struggle at times this month, the coaches may then decide that they need more support and as quickly as they can get it.

Basically, we'll just have to wait and see how things shake up. I still think the staff prioritizes evening out the classes, which will force them to not be as aggressive as they'd normally be this fall, but who knows. Aaron Hansford and Brendan Ferns were takes even before Kelly, so it doesn't really impact those two at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News