ADVERTISEMENT

daughter going to PSU in fall as freshman....cannot access housing

PSU Soupy

Aug 3, 2008
Not sure if anyone else is in the same boat...but today is the day that the students can see where they are to be housed.

Must be a real rush for people attempting to sign in as we have been clocking for 2 hours with numerous attempts to gain access to the information.

This should not be a surprise as this date has been announced for 6 months as to when the housing contracts will be offered to the incoming students.

My son was able to get into his assignment - West Halls, first choice, he's excited

Not sure if anyone else is in the same boat...but today is the day that the students can see where they are to be housed.

Must be a real rush for people attempting to sign in as we have been clocking for 2 hours with numerous attempts to gain access to the information.

This should not be a surprise as this date has been announced for 6 months as to when the housing contracts will be offered to the incoming students.

Reactions: bison13
glad to hear some students are getting through......nothing but endless clocking on our end.

Congrats to both of your kids. I wanted west, got east. Glad I did though, something about the PSU experience walking across lot 80 through the cold, wind and snow made it cool to me. Closer to the stadium and BJC for games. Engineering buildings are all over in West so some long walks but went past the creamery every day, passed JoePa a few times on his evening walk by the library (he said hello to me the first time I ever saw him, I froze) I ate lunch in West often, sat in Rec hall watching Terri Zemaitis and the volleyball team practice, shot baskets with Rashan Carlton, Matt Gaudio and Dan Earl a couple times. Ah to be 18 again

OK so my daughter just got her assignment and either it is a coincidence, or someone at PSU has great data to look at and a sense of humor.

My daughter asked for East, got Center Halls in Hartranft. I was on 5th and then 6th floor Hartranft back in 83,84. In 84 I had the room next to where my daughter just got assigned.......crazy.

I remember years ago when my son was entering as a freshman. He was housed in east halls over the summer term, which he enjoyed. But for the fall term he had to relocate to Snyder Hall and his room on the 5th floor had a beautiful view of the Beav, BJC and the old softball field.

I was in Hartranft in 81 and 82. Great location. Best of luck to your daughter!

Thanks Ed....I am having flashbacks today with her room assignment........

OK so my daughter just got her assignment and either it is a coincidence, or someone at PSU has great data to look at and a sense of humor.

My daughter asked for East, got Center Halls in Hartranft. I was on 5th and then 6th floor Hartranft back in 83,84. In 84 I had the room next to where my daughter just got assigned.......crazy.

That is pretty crazy. As you know...that is a pretty awesome location thought if it wasn't her first choice.

Center is much better location than East. Congrats.

Congrats Soupy and daughter. My son didn't get the room next door to mine in west but he did get the dorm next door in west which will be convenient for him in Engineering. Nothing better than the west halls quad on a warm sunny day. Irony and good vibes all around- congrats again.

QUOTE="PSU Soupy, post: 318219, member: 7336"]OK so my daughter just got her assignment and either it is a coincidence, or someone at PSU has great data to look at and a sense of humor.

My daughter asked for East, got Center Halls in Hartranft. I was on 5th and then 6th floor Hartranft back in 83,84. In 84 I had the room next to where my daughter just got assigned.......crazy.[/QUOTE]

Reactions: massimoManca II
Soupy:

A bit of advice that I give all new students. Have her look into getting a Minor right away. With proper planning they are easy to work into a student's schedule. It's just a matter of paying attention to what GenEd classes count as prerequisites for your minor and being smart with your scheduling. Some GenEd classes also end up being required for some minors. For example, some courses are only offered one semester per year. Also, you can sometimes petition to have a particular class count for the minor even if it is not on the list.

http://bulletins.psu.edu/undergrad/programs/minors/

Thanks everyone.....family and especially my daughter are very excited to be finally getting ready for her to begin her PSU experience. Dad gets to go to some games this year.....of course to check on my daughter........

Soup, I was on 4th floor Hartranft in 79-81. My daughter was assigned to the exact same room two floors below as a freshman last year. When we moved her in all I could think was that I was sure glad the walls couldn't talk. If moving her in will be your first time back in the 'Ranft, you'll notice not much has changed. New vators and sprinkler system, but everything else is pretty much the same.

Back when I was there hardly anyone had a tv in their room. I remember watching NC State beating Georgetown in the TV room on the first floor in Hartranft. I also remember watching MTV when it started from the first floor of Hartranft, MTV actually only played music videos at the time, but after coming back from the fraternities or campus parties we would watch an hour of videos from some pretty bad bands.....still great memories.

Congrats to all of the parents of incoming Freshpeople what are to attend UP in the fall. I was going to recommend that those without housing consider leasing rooms from under-brothered fraternities off-campus.

And then it occurred to me that this might not be best advice for the daughters of the parents....since fraternities are filled with the likes of.....Eric Stratton.:)

Last edited:
I remember years ago when my son was entering as a freshman. He was housed in east halls over the summer term, which he enjoyed. But for the fall term he had to relocate to Snyder Hall and his room on the 5th floor had a beautiful view of the Beav, BJC and the old softball field.

HA! I was in 513 Snyder Hall my freshman year! Opposite side of the building. Beautiful view of the young co-eds chilling/tanning in the quad!

I just looked at the psu housing site and I remember this room!!

DSC_0114_640.jpg

I LOVED living in that shoebox!

HA! I was in 513 Snyder Hall my freshman year! Opposite side of the building. Beautiful view of the young co-eds chilling/tanning in the quad!

DSC_0114_640.jpg

OH MY.........I had forgotten that shiat. Lived in Snyder, Cameron House (3rd floor) in '69. Looked out at the Beav and was rudely awakened many mornings by ROTC. Many hung fishnets from the ceiling to hide the hive-look.

My family is on vaca in Bahamas. My son will be a frosh at UP this year. Yesterday he was going out of his mind, though the wifi here is good he has been unable to login and get his lodging info. Guess thats the price of being in paradise....

Good luck to your daughter!

DSC_0114_640.jpg

That sure looks like a Snyder room. I was 310 and 403 my junior and senior years (frosh and soph were at Ogontz).

All you East Halls guys better reminisce while you can. East Halls is scheduled for conversion to suites. We will be building two new residence halls; one between Park Ave and Findley Commons and the other in the North Halls area (where the basketball court and Green D parking lot are now). Then two buildings a year in East will be converted to suites. Pollock Halls will follow.

Sadly
My family is on vaca in Bahamas. My son will be a frosh at UP this year. Yesterday he was going out of his mind, though the wifi here is good he has been unable to login and get his lodging info. Guess thats the price of being in paradise....

Good luck to your daughter!
sadly back on us soil, miami airport, my son has now learned third floor mcelwain!!!

DSC_0114_640.jpg

Ah, memories - I lived in Geary all four years, and I could have taken an identical picture of my room when I moved in in fall of '81.

I was in 509 Hartranft in 73,74,75. Great times.

Reactions: PSU Soupy
All you East Halls guys better reminisce while you can. East Halls is scheduled for conversion to suites. We will be building two new residence halls; one between Park Ave and Findley Commons and the other in the North Halls area (where the basketball court and Green D parking lot are now). Then two buildings a year in East will be converted to suites. Pollock Halls will follow.

Actually, according to the last master plan, East and Pollock are not being converted to suites. The new dorms in East and North will not be suites either. The rennovations to East & Pollock will address the deteriorating facades new mechanical systems, will add more study & lounge spaces and comvert the bathrooms from large, lockerroom style facilities to muliple single bathrooms (each containing a toilet, sink & shower) to be shared by everyone on the floor. Some dorms will have one two or three bedroom apartment on the first floor, but all of the other floors will be single rooms with two to three beds each as they are now. The rooms will be remodeled withnew furnishings, etc.

Total budget for the rennovations of East & Pollock is $100-150 million. Findlay Commons is scheduled for another rennovation, $10-20 million. Can't remember the budget for the new dorm in East or the new one in North.

The new dorm in East will be between Brumbaugh & Stuart and will eliminate some parking and the two basketball court, although one court is supposed to be built on the north side of Brumbaugh.

The new North dorm will another L shaped building between Runkle & Holmes and will eliminate some parking and both basketball courts.

Last edited:
Monterey,

I knew that I liked you for some reason.

From Hartranft to Monterey....big step up in the world.

Loved my time in Hartranft, stayed next to Coach Chambers brother my freshman year. Pat Chambers was as much of a high energy funny guy as his much younger brother.

WE won the Intramural championship for dorms my Freshman Year out of Hartranf floor 5 and floor 6.

Monterey,

I knew that I liked you for some reason.

From Hartranft to Monterey....big step up in the world.

Loved my time in Hartranft, stayed next to Coach Chambers brother my freshman year. Pat Chambers was as much of a high energy funny guy as his much younger brother.

WE won the Intramural championship for dorms my Freshman Year out of Hartranf floor 5 and floor 6.
I played intramural softball and golf for our house(5th & 6th floor). Had my jaw broken in three places by an miss thrown ball from third to first, in one of our games. I tried to out run a dribbler to third. When you were there did they still fill those 32 gallon trash cans with water and lean them
against the elevator doors, to bomb say the 2nd floor? Did guys still penny other guys in their rooms? Those were the days. What was your room number?

PSU Housing Twitter had the site updates yesterday. Daughter final able to log on last night. Got same dorm as last year, Pollock, but right across the hall.
Hard to believe she's starting her Junior year!
My biggest advice to new students/ parents has to do with future student football season tickets. Student tickets are sold based on semester classification which is based on total credits earned. Even though my daughter is a junior this year she qualified to get tickets as a senior. Some of her junior classmates missed out on student season tix due to this.

http://www.registrar.psu.edu/registration/semester_classification.cfm

That's crazy/weird coincidence. My niece got exactly 2 floors up in Beaver Hall in Pollock from my freshman dorm. My best friends in my life made there. Wish I was headed back. Sigh….

Monterey we did water bomb the lower floors, we did penny people into their rooms, we tied together two intertubes and had people ride in the middle and roll them down the hall until someones head came through the tubes and got a concussion.

When I was there my sophomore year Trey Bauer was on our floor he was a freshman.....stayed friends with him through my time at PSU which lasted through until the Miami Fiesta Bowl. My freshman year Rogers Alexender lived in Hartranft, and others who I am struggling to remember.

Did you know the volleyball guys John Hartranft, Jose Rubayo, Javier Gaspar, Dave Bittner or Trevor (forgetting his last name)? I can't recall what floors they were on...

Monterey we did water bomb the lower floors, we did penny people into their rooms, we tied together two intertubes and had people ride in the middle and roll them down the hall until someones head came through the tubes and got a concussion.

When I was there my sophomore year Trey Bauer was on our floor he was a freshman.....stayed friends with him through my time at PSU which lasted through until the Miami Fiesta Bowl. My freshman year Rogers Alexender lived in Hartranft, and others who I am struggling to remember.
When I lived in Hartranft it was all male. Simmons where we ate was all female. Is Hartranft now all female, or co-ed?

I should know, but I do not.

Same when I was there, it was all male and we ate in Simmons Hall. Ah, Simmons Hall.

DSC_0114_640.jpg

that was exactly my room in East Halls '83 - funny looking at it now

My biggest advice to new students/ parents has to do with future student football season tickets. Student tickets are sold based on semester classification which is based on total credits earned. Even though my daughter is a junior this year she qualified to get tickets as a senior. Some of her junior classmates missed out on student season tix due to this.

I've passed along that advice as well. It also happens a good bit in the opposite direction. A lot of students will do a semester abroad their junior year. Unfortunately, many find PSU's study abroad program too restrictive, so they use other programs. PSU will accept the credits as Gen Ed, but is really slow to add them to the student's record. As a result, many of these students try to log in in June to buy a ticket as a senior, but the are unable to complete the process because PSU considers them a junior (because the credits have not yet been added in).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT