ADVERTISEMENT

Day 40: What happened at Bucha?

Jerry

May 29, 2001
Here we go again. Reports of atrocities. Scenes of dead bodies. We're told they were brutally executed by Russian forces. We're told there are mass graves.

Who is telling us? Ukrainian authorities and American media immediately amplified by U.S. and UK government officials.

Moscow vehemently denies the charges, but a chorus of outrage immediately arises with demands for war crimes trials and direct intervention by NATO.

I don't know what happened in Bucha. There are three possibilities: A) the stories are manufactured; B) some Russian troops operating in that village went on a rogue murder spree of unclear dimensions; or C) Putin and the Russian high command ordered the crimes to be committed.

To me, (C) is least likely because it makes no sense. I mean, if Moscow's policy is the targeted murder of non-combatants, why just Bucha? Why not the dozens of other villages occupied by Russian forces? For that matter, why did the UN Human Rights Office recently place the death toll of Ukrainian civilians at 1,000 instead of the 100,000 it would be if the Russians let loose their heaviest weaponry on Ukrainian cities?

Some 50 years ago, Lt. Calley and his men executed 500 Vietnamese civilians, the large majority of them women and children, in a ditch in cold blood, but no serious person -- that leaves out the Wokeist libs of their day who flew NVA flags and spit on American soldiers -- blamed the American President or Secretary of Defense or Joint Chiefs Chairman personally.

Bottom line: we need an independent outside investigation, which will be very difficult to do without access to both sides of the story. But in the absence of such an inquiry, we should be leery of accepting any side's claims at face value...whether they be Ukraine's accusations or Russia's denials.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News