ADVERTISEMENT

Do you remember all the Grand Standing?

People don't realize the disdain Syracuse has for Penn State. After I graduated from PSU in 1970, I applied for a job with a company that was run by a Syracuse grad. God, his hatred for Penn State was just THERE. And, to tell you the truth, I was surprised. And then one of my best friends from high school who graduated from Syracuse reconnected 13 years later. She was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Never said anything anti-PSU in junior high or high school, but I could tell she looked down at Penn State during our phone conversation in 1983.

Not only that, there's just that upstate New York snobbery. You know Rochester is known as smug city? Yeah. They sit up there and look down their nose at the rest of the world.

Yeah, it's there.

You think Pitt hates us? Well, everybody KNOWS that. People don't know how much Syracuse hates us.
Wait, Rochester people look down on others???? Hilarious. I totally envy their crappy weather and terrible economy

Reactions: Lefty Hill
People don't realize the disdain Syracuse has for Penn State. After I graduated from PSU in 1970, I applied for a job with a company that was run by a Syracuse grad. God, his hatred for Penn State was just THERE. And, to tell you the truth, I was surprised. And then one of my best friends from high school who graduated from Syracuse reconnected 13 years later. She was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Never said anything anti-PSU in junior high or high school, but I could tell she looked down at Penn State during our phone conversation in 1983.

Not only that, there's just that upstate New York snobbery. You know Rochester is known as smug city? Yeah. They sit up there and look down their nose at the rest of the world.

Yeah, it's there.

You think Pitt hates us? Well, everybody KNOWS that. People don't know how much Syracuse hates us.

You are absolutely correct. I met Syracuse grad and broadcaster Mike Tirico at the 94 Heisman dinner. This was towards the end of the evening and he was two sheets, so his tongue was freer to speak. When I told him I graduated from PSU, his rebuttal was "we at Syracuse hate Penn State". I was pretty surprised. I had only viewed them as a school we beat the crap out of in football, and they sprayed the lion statue orange. I never knew of their disdain before.
And yes, espn was full of them and they went to town portraying Joe as the bad guy.

Reactions: Lefty Hill
Wait, Rochester people look down on others???? Hilarious. I totally envy their crappy weather and terrible economy

I know. It’s weird. People are surprised, as in Rochester???, but it’s true. My sister who lived in the Rochester suburb of Fairport, told me about the Smug City bit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT